Chosen to Salvation !

beloved57

2 Thess 2:13

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Many in mans religion deny the fact that Gods People, His Beloved, were chosen to salvation by Him. This Salvation consists in Two Spiritual Blessings #1 Sanctification of the Spirit and #2 Belief of the Truth/Faith ,

So God from the beginning Chose them to be recipients of the sanctifying works of the Spirit and belief in the Truth, which are Salvation blessings.

In other words, Faith/ belief of the Truth is the result of God saving us. We cant believe the truth when were by nature lost, or we cant believe the Truth without being saved first by the saving work of the Spirit. Its that same work Paul writes of in Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Without this saving mercy of the Spirit renewing us, we cant believe the Truth. Paul here in 2 Thess 2:13 is describing what Salvation is that Gods elect were chosen to: It consists in the Sanctifying Work if the Spirit and Belief of the Truth.

This is what the New Covenant promised to the Elect of God Ezk 36: 25-27

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jerry Shugart

Many in mans religion deny the fact that Gods People, His Beloved, were chosen to salvation by Him.

No, we are chosen to salvation "in Him":

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love"
(Eph.1:4).​

Once a person is "in Him" or "in Christ" he is saved:

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (2 Tim.1:9).​

"Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory"
(2 Tim.2:10).​

So we can see that being chosen before the foundation of the world is in regard to salvation since the elect are chosen "in Him." In other words, no one can be chosen "in Him" unless salvation is secured.

According to your view the Lord chooses some for salvation before they believe and before they are saved but this verse demonstates that the Lord chooses those for salvation because they believe:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

You overlook the fact that no one is saved until they believe the gospel:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth"
(Ro.1:16).​

Last edited:

Nanja

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Many in mans religion deny the fact that Gods People, His Beloved, were chosen to salvation by Him. This Salvation consists in Two Spiritual Blessings #1 Sanctification of the Spirit and #2 Belief of the Truth/Faith ,

So God from the beginning Chose them to be recipients of the sanctifying works of the Spirit and belief in the Truth, which are Salvation blessings.

In other words, Faith/ belief of the Truth is the result of God saving us. We cant believe the truth when were by nature lost, or we cant believe the Truth without being saved first by the saving work of the Spirit. Its that same work Paul writes of in Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Without this saving mercy of the Spirit renewing us, we cant believe the Truth. Paul here in 2 Thess 2:13 is describing what Salvation is that Gods elect were chosen to: It consists in the Sanctifying Work if the Spirit and Belief of the Truth.

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Amen! God Given Faith / Belief of the Truth, a Fruit of the Spirit, is the result of Grace being given to all His Chosen Elect Eph. 1:4, the Election of Grace, before the world began 2 Tim. 1:9. And the New Covenant, or Covenant of Grace, puts the law of Faith in the minds of all the Chosen Ones.

Heb. 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

That "People", the House of Israel, Christ's Body, are One and the same; the Chosen Ones Christ exclusively came to Save Mat. 1:21 that were Promised Salvation Is. 45:17; Chosen to Salvation and Belief of the Truth.

beloved57

Amen! God Given Faith / Belief of the Truth, a Fruit of the Spirit, is the result of Grace being given to all His Chosen Elect Eph. 1:4, the Election of Grace, before the world began 2 Tim. 1:9. And the New Covenant, or Covenant of Grace, puts the law of Faith in the minds of all the Chosen Ones.

Heb. 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

That "People", the House of Israel, Christ's Body, are One and the same; the Chosen Ones Christ exclusively came to Save Mat. 1:21 that were Promised Salvation Is. 45:17; Chosen to Salvation and Belief of the Truth.

Amen Sister !

beloved57

Election is founded in Gods Love !

Notice what Paul wrote to the believers in Thessalonia 2 Thess 2:13

The Chosen to Salvation are the Beloved of the Lord ! That word Beloved agapaó:

I love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.

Thats same word is translated beloved as it refers to Gods Elect Col 3:12

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Again prior to 2 Thess,in 1 Thess 1:4

Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

People, we dont even have a biblical right to call someone brother in Christ if we reject the doctrine of Election !

But heres an OT reference that proves, gives evidence that election by God is founded upon His Love Deut 7:7-8a

The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8 But because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Amen. This leads me to believe that the World God so Loved in Jn 3:16 cannot be none other than the World of His Chosen Elect !

Robert Pate

Banned

Before the foundation of the world God chose ALL OF HUMANITY in his Son Jesus Christ.

"According he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love" Ephesians 1:4.

All of humanity has been reconciled unto God by Jesus Christ.

"God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself" 2 Corinthians 5:19.

This means that Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

God now offers salvation to everyone as a free gift, Ephesians 2:8.

If salvation is imposed up on you, it is no longer a free gift, it is an imposition. An imposition is not a free gift.

flintstoned

Before the foundation of the world God chose ALL OF HUMANITY in his Son Jesus Christ.

"According he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love" Ephesians 1:4.

You are adding to scripture. Please point out where God has already reconciled the whole world including non-believers.

If salvation is imposed up on you, it is no longer a free gift, it is an imposition. An imposition is not a free gift.

So are you suggesting that God imposed reconciliation on us, since you said that the whole world is already reconciled? We didn't have a choice?

beloved57

Evasion and Rabbit trail. Do you want to discuss the points I made with scripture?

beloved57

No, we are chosen to salvation "in Him":

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love"
(Eph.1:4).​

Once a person is "in Him" or "in Christ" he is saved:

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (2 Tim.1:9).​

"Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory"
(2 Tim.2:10).​

So we can see that being chosen before the foundation of the world is in regard to salvation since the elect are chosen "in Him." In other words, no one can be chosen "in Him" unless salvation is secured.

According to your view the Lord chooses some for salvation before they believe and before they are saved but this verse demonstates that the Lord chooses those for salvation because they believe:
"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

You overlook the fact that no one is saved until they believe the gospel:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth"
(Ro.1:16).​

Did you want to discuss the points I made with scripture in the OP ?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Election unto salvation, not election to salvation

Election unto salvation, not election to salvation

No. God has chosen those unto salvation from the beginning:

What happens if you are of the elect and you don't want to be?

No non-believer genuinely wants or is able to seek after God's righteousness (Jer. 17:9; Mark 7:21-23; Eph. 2:2; Eph. 2:4-5; Titus 3:5; John 3:19; Rom. 3:10-12; 5:6; 6:16-20; Eph. 2:1,3;1 Cor. 2:14), hence, thanks be to God for election (John 6:37; John 6:39; John 10:29; John 17:11-12; John 17:9;John 17:22; John 18:9). Once regenerated (born anew), the non-believer instantaneously will genuinely want, will be able, and will not not believe.

Election is unto an end, that is salvation, not to salvation. In other words, under ordinary circumstances, the elect will come to faith from the hearing of the Good News, being regenerated, now able and wanting to believe, per God's gift of faith, then irrevocably believing.

Faith must include "choice," if by that is meant an act of the will. Faith is simply the man believing. Man thinks, wills, and affects. Therefore faith is defined in terms of knowledge, assent, and trust. It is certain that man cannot will anything spiritually good in a fallen and unregenerate condition, but it is equally certain that when a man is regenerated he is enabled to believe in Our Lord for salvation. God does not believe for him. God works in him to will and to do of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).

Hebrews 11:1 provides a definition of what faith does rather than what faith is. It is describing the function rather than the nature of faith. It is regrettable that it has been translated by some in subjective terms when it is indicating something that is objective.

That Hebrews 11:1 speaks of the function of faith, not the nature of it, is clear from the context, which is believing to the saving of the soul, Hebrews 10:38-39.

AMR

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
You are adding to scripture. Please point out where God has already reconciled the whole world including non-believers.

So are you suggesting that God imposed reconciliation on us, since you said that the whole world is already reconciled? We didn't have a choice?

God does not impose anything on anyone. Jesus has reconciled the whole world unto God by his doing and his dying. This means that salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9. So that now, "Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Roman 10:13. Plain and simple biblical truth.

beloved57

God does not impose anything on anyone. Jesus has reconciled the whole world unto God by his doing and his dying. This means that salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9. So that now, "Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Roman 10:13. Plain and simple biblical truth.

Do you want to discuss the O Post?

flintstoned

Show me where the bible says that unbelievers are already reconciled. Unbelievers do not have a restored relationship with God, and are in fact separated by sin. They cannot be reconciled until after they believe in Jesus (if they ever do)....not before.

Robert Pate

Banned
Show me where the bible says that unbelievers are already reconciled. Unbelievers do not have a restored relationship with God, and are in fact separated by sin. They cannot be reconciled until after they believe in Jesus (if they ever do)....not before.

The scripture says, "God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself" 2 Corintians 5:19.

The world includes sinners.

beloved57

The scripture says, "God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself" 2 Corintians 5:19.

The world includes sinners.

Thats the Elect World !The Chosen The world in 2 Cor 5:19 is saved from its sins because God doesn't charge them with their sins !So you handle that verse deceitfully !

beloved57

flintstoned

Show me where the bible says that unbelievers are already reconciled.

Those enemies/unbelievers Christ died for are already reconciled to God by Christ's Death while they are enemies Rom 5:10

[FONT=&quot]For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.kjv

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life;ASV

Now according to this verse, when were these believers reconciled to God ?[/FONT]

Nanja

Election is founded in Gods Love !

Notice what Paul wrote to the believers in Thessalonia 2 Thess 2:13

The Chosen to Salvation are the Beloved of the Lord ! That word Beloved agapaó:

I love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.

Thats same word is translated beloved as it refers to Gods Elect Col 3:12

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Again prior to 2 Thess,in 1 Thess 1:4

Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

People, we dont even have a biblical right to call someone brother in Christ if we reject the doctrine of Election ! [Nanja: Amen!]

But heres an OT reference that proves, gives evidence that election by God is founded upon His Love Deut 7:7-8a

The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8 But because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Amen. This leads me to believe that the World God so Loved in Jn 3:16 cannot be none other than the World of His Chosen Elect !

Amen Brother! The World that God so Loved and gave His only begotten Son for, is Christ's Body, God's Elect that He Loved: The Election of Grace, Chosen in Christ to be holy and without blame before Him in Love Eph. 1:4. So, I believe that the World that God Loved and gave His only begotten Son for John 3:16 is the same World of Christ's Church that He Loved and gave Himself for:

Eph. 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

We know that in the Greek the word for World, kosmos, has many meanings, which one of them is, any aggregate or collection of particulars of any sort. And the word for Church, ekklesia, is also a gathering or assembly of certain individuals.

They are one and the same Elect World Loved by God.

beloved57

Amen Brother! The World that God so Loved and gave His only begotten Son for, is Christ's Body, God's Elect that He Loved: The Election of Grace, Chosen in Christ to be holy and without blame before Him in Love Eph. 1:4. So, I believe that the World that God Loved and gave His only begotten Son for John 3:16 is the same World of Christ's Church that He Loved and gave Himself for:

Eph. 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

We know that in the Greek the word for World, kosmos, has many meanings, which one of them is, any aggregate or collection of particulars of any sort. And the word for Church, ekklesia, is also a gathering or assembly of certain individuals.

They are one and the same Elect World Loved by God.

Excellent Speech my Sister !