Book of Luke Question

CherubRam

Should the book of Luke be repaired to read correctly, or should it be tossed out?

Luke 1. NIV
Introduction

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
This person is not the disciple Luke, and apart from that, he make numerous mistakes.

KingdomRose

Should the book of Luke be repaired to read correctly, or should it be tossed out?

Luke 1. NIV
Introduction

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
This person is not the disciple Luke, and apart from that, he make numerous mistakes.

I really can't figure out what your objection is. Luke WAS a disciple of Christ, even though he didn't know him. He also wrote Acts of the Apostles. I don't think he made any mistakes. Why do you?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
keep it just as it is

we are better off with multiple translations

your beliefs should not depend on just one

CherubRam

I really can't figure out what your objection is. Luke WAS a disciple of Christ, even though he didn't know him. He also wrote Acts of the Apostles. I don't think he made any mistakes. Why do you?
Yes Luke was a disciple, but the book of Luke was not written by him. And besides that there are some errors in it. Should it be corrected or tossed out?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Any honest scholar is able. It is simple, if what is written does not agree with other scriptures, then there is a problem.

is that you?

Yes, that would be me. Unlike other Christians I do not hold to any form of Paganism, I also believe in complete honesty dealing with scriptures. Other bible scholars are not so inclined.

Several things:
1) If what is written in Luke doesn't agree with other scriptures, why would you want to alter Luke and not those other scriptures?
2) If in your view Luke may and should be altered, is this not an acceptance that Luke is not itself scripture? And if not, then why bother to alter it?
3) If the issue for you is whether or not Luke agrees with other scriptures, then what difference would it make whether the person claiming it was pagan or not?
4) What are your claims to being a scholar? Why should we accept you as a scholar more than anyone else?
5) Why don't you just give us a half a dozen examples of passages in Luke that you think should be deleted, along with reasons why you, as a scholar, think they should be, so that we can see and test whether you have this authority or not?
6) If I were to say to you 'I am an honest scholar and I am not a pagan', would that be sufficient for you to accept all my conclusions regarding the book of Luke? If not, why not?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes, that would be me. Unlike other Christians I do not hold to any form of Paganism, I also believe in complete honesty dealing with scriptures. Other bible scholars are not so inclined.

when will you publish your translation?

CherubRam

Several things:
1) If what is written in Luke doesn't agree with other scriptures, why would you want to alter Luke and not those other scriptures?
If I find any other scriptures corrupted then they will be fixed.

2) If the issue for you is whether or not Luke agrees with other scriptures, then what difference would it make whether the person claiming it was pagan or not?
It is Pagans and Gnostic's who corrupted the originals.

3) What are your claims to being a scholar? Why should we accept you as a scholar more than anyone else?
I have studied the bible for fifty years now.

4) Why don't you just give us a half a dozen examples of passages in Luke that you think should be deleted, along with reasons why you, as a scholar, think they should be, so that we can see and test whether you have this authority or not?
Obviously any Pagan and Gnostic Christians would object to any action I would take. And who would believe me if I said I did have the authority to do so?

5) If I were to say to you 'I am an honest scholar and I am not a pagan', would that be sufficient for you to accept all my conclusions regarding the book of Luke? If not, why not?
Most every Christian holds to some form of Paganism or Gnosticism without even knowing it. I would like to point out that I am the only Judaic Christian that I know of.

CherubRam

You could be mistaken. Name one verse you suspect is erroneous.
Has no real parabolic qualities. Is not called a parable. No explanation is given. Contradicts true orthodox beliefs. Contradicts other scriptures.
The Rich Man and Lazarus

Luke 16
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Has no real parabolic qualities. Is not called a parable. No explanation is given. Contradicts true orthodox beliefs. Contradicts other scriptures.

Did Jesus speak to the people in parables? Was the parable of the rich man and the beggar spoken to the people?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You haven't answered a single one of my questions. Also, I asked 6 questions, not just 5. Below are reasons why you didn't answer.

If I find any other scriptures corrupted then they will be fixed.
This doesn't answer the question of why you think Luke takes precedence over other scripture. The same question would arise for other scriptures. How do you know if it is corrupt? Please answer it.

2) If the issue for you is whether or not Luke agrees with other scriptures, then what difference would it make whether the person claiming it was pagan or not?
It is Pagans and Gnostic's who corrupted the originals.
This doesn't answer anything. Read the question again and please answer it.

3) What are your claims to being a scholar? Why should we accept you as a scholar more than anyone else?
I have studied the bible for fifty years now.
Again, read the question again. Other people have also studied the Bible for 50 years. Why should we accept your authority against theirs?

4) Why don't you just give us a half a dozen examples of passages in Luke that you think should be deleted, along with reasons why you, as a scholar, think they should be, so that we can see and test whether you have this authority or not?
Obviously any Pagan and Gnostic Christians would object to any action I would take. And who would believe me if I said I did have the authority to do so?
So if you don't think anyone will believe you, then why say you have authority as a scholar? The authority you get from being a scholar comes from people. It is they who give you your authority. If no one accepts your authority then you don't have any. I mean come on, be serious! What person is going to agree with you that you are right and that Luke should be altered when you can't even give any examples of what you intend to do??? Even the village idiot wouldn't fall for that.

5) If I were to say to you 'I am an honest scholar and I am not a pagan', would that be sufficient for you to accept all my conclusions regarding the book of Luke? If not, why not?
Most every Christian holds to some form of Paganism or Gnosticism without even knowing it. I would like to point out that I am the only Judaic Christian that I know of.
Again, read the question again and answer it. Your authority was just compromised from zero to minus 6 for all the questions you didn't answer. If you have so much authority, you ought to be able to answer a few simple questions straightforwardly, no? If you have no authority, which is a fact by your own admission, then why not try to gain some by at least making a decent effort to answer obvious questions?