Are Your Local Cops Crazy?

Sealeaf

Specifically are they paranoid? Paranoia is a form of psychosis and that makes it "crazy".

In living memory there have been horrific violent events in which a person we later defined as mentally ill got access to fire arms and killed a lot of people.

The one group of people in society most likely to have access to firearms are police officers, so their mental health is a serious concern. Over the years I have come in contact with a fair amount of police during my work in emergency health care and mental health care. Some of them have said some very disturbing things.

" Nothing is illegal if you are not caught." is one of the scarier quotes I remember.

What brought this to mind is that my tiny town, pop 3 to 4 thousand, has recently built a new police station. The building they have put up is a single story brick block house with only little "firing port" windows set up high near the ceiling. It is clearly a fort. The only justification for the design is the expectation of having to survive a popular uprising. This in a residential/agricultural community that has no history of racial tensions, and a 90 percent Caucasian population. While we are not a wealthy community we are by no means a slum.

A new police station was needed. For decades our police worked out of a frame house near the town highway department. The number of riots our local police have had to deal with in the last 25 years? Zero. Attacks on police headquarters? None.

So what are our police afraid of?

Being afraid when there is no reasonable threat is text book Paranoia.

Nazaroo

I'm not against police having well-fortified defences.

Unsuspected and unexpected targets are the best targets,
so a future terrorist could easily target an area where there is no expectation of trouble,
and a police station which is not designed to withstand even modest attacks.

Nor do I have a problem with restricted access to guns.

I DO have a problem with any restrictions whatever on defensive gear,
such as bullet-proof clothing, chainmail, and gear that can only be used
'offensively' at very short ranges, like brass knuckles.

These kinds of things are simply protective armor, and every citizen
should be entitled to have all the protective gear they want to have,
to feel and be secure on their persons and property.

I also have no problem with biker clubs building bunker-clubhouses.
That also is purely defensive gear, and cannot be used to "attack" police
or anyone else.

If police need to arrest bikers, all they have to do is set up a perimeter
and starve them out.
So what is the point of outlawing fortified clubhouses?
Bikers might need protection from other bikers who are using guns, bombs,
and IDF type explosives. So let bikers build bunkers,

and most importantly, let police also have fortified bunkers.
They have to do their job in emergencies from a position of strength
with good communications.

Nazaroo

By the way, I've seen no evidence whatever that my local cops are crazy in any meaningful sense.

Some of them may be sociopaths, and many are apparently homos and non-Christians.

But for the most part, the cops appear very polite and subdued.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Specifically are they paranoid? Paranoia is a form of psychosis and that makes it "crazy". ..

The question that needs to be asked is:

Why would someone create a thread like this? Does the author have a personal vendetta against law enforcement? Was he arrested for something and thinks that it was unjustified?

Give us some background on yourself Sealeaf and explain why you would belittle an institution that that God ordained to do good.

Romans13:4

fool

Hall of Fame
Small windows are good for tornadoes and hurricanes as well as assaults by crazies. Just because there haven't been any riots in your town doesn't mean that some good ol boy can't cut loose on the fiveO cause he had a bad day and his snowmobile got impounded for parking tickets.
They sell AR-15s at Walmart. Seems it would be a little short sighted to wait until after you've been attacked to armor up. Especially if you're building a new building.

Sealeaf

The question that needs to be asked is:

Why would someone create a thread like this? Does the author have a personal vendetta against law enforcement? Was he arrested for something and thinks that it was unjustified?

Give us some background on yourself Sealeaf and explain why you would belittle an institution that that God ordained to do good.

Romans13:4
Ok fair question. I have never been arrested for anything in my life. I am reasonably law abiding. I do drive too fast occasionally. I have no vendetta against law enforcement but I have worked along side police officers enough to get to know them. Many of them I have found to be way too fond of violence and enamored with firearms.

I'm talking about guys who spend hours searching the internet for sources of military grade weapons for their own purchase and have multi thousand dollar personal firearm collections. Certainly these are any citizen's right but are troubling hobbies for a law enforcement officer.

The point about building a place of shelter for the town's people would be well taken if that is what they had built. But their little strong point would be over burdened with twenty five people in it. It is not a shelter for the people but rather a shelter from the people.

If you feel the need to protect the populous then fortify the town school. I could get behind that idea. A school is the place you would shelter people in in the case of disaster. It would in fact be a great idea to make the police station part of the elementary school. Have the police right there to protect the town's most precious assets.

Also I am not opposed to the people owning firearms. I own a hand gun, a couple 22's, a couple shot guns and, a Korean war vintage, military rifle.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Specifically are they paranoid? Paranoia is a form of psychosis and that makes it "crazy".

In living memory there have been horrific violent events in which a person we later defined as mentally ill got access to fire arms and killed a lot of people.

The one group of people in society most likely to have access to firearms are police officers, so their mental health is a serious concern. Over the years I have come in contact with a fair amount of police during my work in emergency health care and mental health care. Some of them have said some very disturbing things.

" Nothing is illegal if you are not caught." is one of the scarier quotes I remember.

What brought this to mind is that my tiny town, pop 3 to 4 thousand, has recently built a new police station. The building they have put up is a single story brick block house with only little "firing port" windows set up high near the ceiling. It is clearly a fort. The only justification for the design is the expectation of having to survive a popular uprising. This in a residential/agricultural community that has no history of racial tensions, and a 90 percent Caucasian population. While we are not a wealthy community we are by no means a slum.

A new police station was needed. For decades our police worked out of a frame house near the town highway department. The number of riots our local police have had to deal with in the last 25 years? Zero. Attacks on police headquarters? None.

Wearing an official-looking uniform, carrying a weapon, using shields for protection--all of these are going to elicit fear at some level.

Some folks react to their fear by becoming violent against what they perceive as a potential threat to their lives and well-being.

"...cause you can't always do what you are told."

--John Prine

PureX

This seems like something you should have been writing op-ed pieces about in your local paper. They are excellent questions.

It could be that it's not your police that are paranoid, but maybe your community in general. Maybe the police did not ask for the 'fort', but were given it by the town council, who for some reason have taken on a siege mentality.

I have a couple of observation about social paranoia. One is that wealthy people are generally more paranoid than the rest of us. I think they know they do not 'deserve' having any more than anyone else, and it makes them self-conscious and hyper-sensitive about it. I saw a documentary about this some years ago that was very eye-opening. And I believe it has a lot to do with the general trend of militarizing police forces all around the country.

It also has long since been observed that police forces attract a certain type of loonie personality: the "tyrant wannabe" male, who is fascinated by the power of authority, and deadly weaponry. And who if given a badge and a gun, will immediately look for an excuse to abuse them with excessive force, bullying, and violence. Most police forces are well aware of this personality type and keep a look-out for it among their ranks, and get rid of them. But sometimes the really small town police forces are not so sophisticated, and will hire one of these 'tyrant wannabes', or worse, end up with a collection of them. In the past this was a real problem. Now days I don't think it's quite as commonplace.

Then there is the general problem of 'boys and their toys'. Testosterone seems to drive a lot of males to be obsessed with bigger, and badder, and louder, and more ostentatious, and … well …. you get the idea. And male cops are no different. Generally speaking if offered the choice between a big gun and a bigger gun, the male officer will want the biggest, loudest, baddest guns of all. And then once they have them, well, what fun is it having them if you never use them? Right? And what good is just using them at the range, with other cops around? When they really want to show the world how bad-assed they are!

So that soon they begin showing up at a drunken disturbance call with armored vehicles, M-16 assault rifles, and body armor. And of course once they're dressed like gladiators, they have to behave accordingly.

It's important to reign this nonsense in. But it's a lot easier to do in advance then it is after the fact. Your cops already have their fortress, but maybe you can keep them from playing gladiator in the future, if you make some noise about it. Unless some loonie with a badge decides to come straiten you out. :)

Sealeaf

UPDATE

UPDATE

The police station is still not quite finished. Last week they cut the "gun port" windows out, and replaced them with normal sized windows. I wish I could claim to have been the voice of reason that got this done. I was not. I have no idea what the political process was that resulted in this very wise decision.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Some of our local cops were the kinds of kids in high school who beat up the nerds or the gays.

This is why there are going to be some bad apples in the force that is supposed to protect us. The "sadistic bully" is always poised to strike anywhere.

It's just a fact of life if you haven't noticed.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm not against police having well-fortified defences.

Unsuspected and unexpected targets are the best targets,
so a future terrorist could easily target an area where there is no expectation of trouble,
and a police station which is not designed to withstand even modest attacks.

Nor do I have a problem with restricted access to guns.

I DO have a problem with any restrictions whatever on defensive gear,
such as bullet-proof clothing, chainmail, and gear that can only be used
'offensively' at very short ranges, like brass knuckles.

These kinds of things are simply protective armor, and every citizen
should be entitled to have all the protective gear they want to have,
to feel and be secure on their persons and property.

I also have no problem with biker clubs building bunker-clubhouses.
That also is purely defensive gear, and cannot be used to "attack" police
or anyone else.

If police need to arrest bikers, all they have to do is set up a perimeter
and starve them out.
So what is the point of outlawing fortified clubhouses?
Bikers might need protection from other bikers who are using guns, bombs,
and IDF type explosives. So let bikers build bunkers,

and most importantly, let police also have fortified bunkers.
They have to do their job in emergencies from a position of strength
with good communications.

Naz likes bunkers

brewmama

Wearing an official-looking uniform, carrying a weapon, using shields for protection--all of these are going to elicit fear at some level.
Some folks react to their fear by becoming violent against what they perceive as a potential threat to their lives and well-being.

Well, that's pretty stupid.