Arby's apologizes to Pembroke Pines police after an officer was denied service

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Arby's apologizes to Pembroke Pines police after report that officer was denied service

The Pembroke Pines police chief demanded – and quickly received – an apology Wednesday from the Arby's restaurant chain after one of the city's uniformed officers said she was denied service "due to being a police officer."

The incident allegedly happened Tuesday evening at the Arby's at 11755 Pines Blvd. in the Pembroke Lakes Mall.

"I am offended and appalled that an individual within our community would treat a police officer in such a manner," Chief Dan Giustino said in a news release issued Wednesday morning. "It is unacceptable, and I will be contacting the Arby's CEO to demand an apology."

Less than two hours after that release went out, police said Giustino had contacted Arby's by phone. "Immediately following, Arby's Chief Executive Officer Paul Brown, and Senior Vice President of Operations Scott Boatwright, contacted Chief Giustino to convey their sincere apologizes on behalf of their organization," police said.

"Both gentlemen assured Chief Giustino that the employee's behavior was unacceptable and not representative of the company's values. Chief Giustino was appreciative and accepted their apology and now considers this matter closed."

Arby's also responded from company headquarters in Atlanta with a statement.

"We take this isolated matter very seriously as we respect and support police officers in our local communities," the statement said. "As soon as the issue was brought to our attention, our CEO spoke with the Police Chief who expressed his gratitude for our quick action and indicates the case is closed.

"We will be following up with our team members to be sure that our policy of inclusion is understood and adhered to."

In an incident report, Sgt. Jennifer Martin said that after ordering food in the drive-through lane, she drove ahead to the next window and handed her credit card to clerk Kenneth Davenport, 19.

"At this time, the manger, Angel Mirabal, approached the window and stated, 'He doesn't want to serve you because you are a police officer.'"

Martin said that "Davenport had not processed my credit card and had to be ordered to do so by Mirabal.

"I explained to Mirabal that this made me extremely uncomfortable and now wasn't certain I wanted to dine at the restaurant.

"Mirabal assured me everything was OK and handed me my food," Martin wrote. "Mirabal even laughed and said he is allowed to refuse to serve me."

Martin said, "I was uncertain of the condition of my food, and felt for my safety. It would be best not to eat there."

The officer said she went inside the restaurant and received a refund from Mirabal, 22. The manager also gave her his contact information, Martin wrote, but "Davenport refused to have contact with me, ignored me and refused to provide his contact information to me."

No arrests were made. Martin said she filled out what is called an "offense report" to document the incident.

In the original release, sent out at 9:13 a.m. Wednesday, Giustino said, "We recognize that this is an isolated incident confined to a single individual within our city, and appreciate the outpouring of support we continue to receive from the residents of Pembroke Pines.

"We are very proud of the partnerships we have built within our city, and for an incident like this to have happened is very disappointing for everyone," Giustino said.

The alleged refusal of service was also mentioned in a tweet sent out Tuesday by someone who identified him or herself as a Pembroke Pines officer and calling for a boycott of the restaurant.

The only sign of the flap at the restaurant around lunchtime Wednesday were three television station satellite trucks. Customers in vehicles waited in the drive-thru lane, with only a few people seated inside.

"I think it's a very poor way of treating people, especially a police officer," said Pembroke Pines resident Don Gamson, 89, when asked about the incident as he left the restaurant. "To me, it's super prejudiced. There's no reason anybody should be treated that way."

Founded in 1964, Arby's is a franchised sandwich chain with more than 3,300 restaurants worldwide, according to its website.

Thoughts?

journey

I think this is very sad. This is an especially bad time to discriminate against police officers.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And it has happened again (police being denied service for being police):

Whataburger Fires Employee Who Refused to Serve Police Officers

A Whataburger employee has been fired after refusing to serve police officers at a Lewisville, Texas location.

Officers Cameron Beckham and Michael Magovern stopped in the Whataburger for dinner on Tuesday night after directing traffic nearby. “For us to just walk in and get a bite to eat...you’re not expecting a confrontation,” Beckham told NBCDFW .

When the officers tried to order, the employee said he didn’t serve police. At first, Magovern thought the employee might be joking, and asked if he was serious. The employee didn’t reply. The officers were able to locate the employee’s manager and reported the incident, according to NBC .

“We were appalled to hear of an employee refusing service to two officers, as we have proudly served first responders across our system for decades,” Whataburger said in a statement. “We’ve also invited the officers back today so we can apologize in person and make this right.”

The officers weren’t too offended by incident. “This ain’t Whataburger. This is the fault of one person, probably having a really bad day,” Magovern said.

The officers didn’t go hungry: After being denied service at Whataburger, they had dinner at a nearby Dairy Queen.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No arrests were made. Martin said she filled out what is called an "offense report" to document the incident.

My thoughts are why would this enter into the incident at all.

musterion

My thoughts are why would this enter into the incident at all.

In case an impromptu cultural enrichment committee hears the idiot employee was arrested, or beaten, or choked, or shot, and decides to burn down the town?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I know many restaurants that give police a 50% discount. And I know a few that charge them nothing.

journey

I understand disliking a specific officer for misconduct, but I don't understand blanket condemnation. There's a few rotten apples in the barrel, but the vast majority of officers really want to protect and serve to the best of their ability.

fool

Hall of Fame
Which article are you talking about, and who wasn't denied service?

The Cop in the OP.
The manager rang him up.
The manager was also an idiot for saying the first guy wouldn't do it.
If the first guy wouldn't do it the manager should have done it then fired the employee.
The cop never had to know anything.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The Cop in the OP.
The manager rang him up.
The manager was also an idiot for saying the first guy wouldn't do it.
If the first guy wouldn't do it the manager should have done it then fired the employee.
The cop never had to know anything.

The manager was fired.

fool

Hall of Fame
yes, the cop was denied service by the person who took their order and who should have been filling it based solely on their being a police officer.

Nope, not what happened.
The manager came to the window and took the cops money and said "he won't serve you".
And rang him up.
No denile of anything.
If the manager hadn't opened his mouth the cop never would have known that there was someone in there that wouldn't do it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Nope, not what happened.
The manager came to the window and took the cops money and said "he won't serve you".
And rang him up.
No denile of anything.
If the manager hadn't opened his mouth the cop never would have known that there was someone in there that wouldn't do it.

So you think the manager made up that the other employee was denying her service?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He wasn't denied service!
He got his food!
Period!
How can he be denied service if he has his food?

1) the officer in the op is a she

2) just because a different employee, served the officer, doesnt mean another employee didnt deny service - that employee took her order, took her credit card, then told the manager that they were not going to give the officer service because they wouldnt serve police and the manager confirmed it.

3) Clearly Arbys is retarded for apologizing for one of their employees denying service when it didnt really happen...right?