ECT Apostolic Succession

HisServant

Wow... more nonsense. The Pope came from Papa which was the term for the leader of Mithraism in Rome.

Jesus has ALL the power and does not require humans to do anything for him... because he is omnipresent in his followers through the Holy Spirit. Division only occurs when people deny the Holy Spirit.

I find it very interesting to what lengths the RCC has gone to co-opt all the Jewish offices into its dogma.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
You know the keys were returned to Jesus... right?......

That's nonsense, more made-up manmade lies. Do you even know what the "keys" are?

The Pope is the fulfillment of the office of Prime Minister that existed in the Kindoms of David and his successors, just as many things in the New Testament are fulfillments of their Old Testament "types".

"And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call My servant Eliakim the son of Helcias, and I will clothe him with thy Robe, and I will strengthen him with thy Sash, and will give thy Power (authority) into his hand; and he shall be as a FATHER (the word 'Pope' means 'Father') to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. And I will lay the Key of the House of David (the symbol of primacy) upon his shoulder; and he shall open and none shall shut; and he shall shut and none shall open. And I will fasten him as a peg in a Sure Place(the Papal Office), and he shall be for a Throne of glory to the house of his Father. And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his Fathers house, diverse kinds of vessels, every little vessel, from the vessels of cups even to every instrument of music." (Isaiah 22:20-24)

In the Davidic Kingdoms, there was the office of Prime Minister (who actually wore a key on his robe as a symbol of office). This position is what is referred to in the above text and in other historical documents. There were many "ministers" to the king, but only one Prime Minister, sometimes known as the "Vizier" of the House of David.

So now let's fast-forward to the New Testament: JESUS is the King, the "son of David", in the line of David. So, the apostles, steeped in their Jewish culture, knew EXACTLY what it meant when Jesus gave Peter the "Keys". Peter was to be the Prime Minister of Christ's Kingdom, the "Keeper of the Keys".

So this is what the Pope is: Prime Minister of the King's Kingdom: The Kings's representative, or "vicar" if you will. But the Pope also has a pastoral role, which is established in John 21: 15-17, when Christ told Peter: "feed my lambs.. ..feed my sheep.. ..tend my sheep."

This is the Pope: Prime Minister of Christs Kingdom, and Pastor of the flock. With that in mind, the Papacy is ALL THROUGH the scriptures. Now, throw into that mix the fact there is ample evidence in the New Testament that Peter was first in authority among the apostles. Whenever they were named, Peter headed the list (Matt. 10:1-4, Mark 3:16-19, Luke 6:14-16, Acts 1:13) ; sometimes the apostles were referred to as "Peter and those who were with him" (Luke 9:32). Peter was the one who generally spoke for the apostles (Matt. 18:21, Mark 8:29, Luke 12:41, John 6), and he figured in many of the most dramatic scenes (Matt. 14:28-32, Matt. 17:24-27, Mark 10:23-28 ) . On Pentecost it was Peter who first preached to the crowds (Acts 2:14-40), and he worked the first healing in the Church age (Acts 3:6-7). It is Peter’s faith that will strengthen his brethren (Luke 22:32) and, as I said, Peter is given Christ’s flock to shepherd (John 21:17). An angel was sent to announce the resurrection to Peter (Mark 16:7), and the risen Christ first appeared to Peter (Luke 24:34). He headed the meeting that elected Matthias to replace Judas (Acts 1:13-26), and he received the first converts (Acts 2:41). He inflicted the first punishment (Acts 5:1-11), and excommunicated the first heretic (Acts 8:18-23). He led the first council in Jerusalem (Acts 15), and announced the first dogmatic decision (Acts 15:7-11). It was to Peter that the revelation came that Gentiles were to be baptized and accepted as Christians (Acts 10:46-48 ) .

So, as Cyprian of Carthage said in 251 A.D. (almost a hundred years before Constatine):

"The Lord says to Peter: ‘I say to you,’ he says, ‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it. And to you I will give the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever things you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth, they shall be loosed also in heaven’ [Matt. 16:18–19]). ... On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were also what Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?" - The Unity of the Catholic Church 4; 1st edition [A.D. 251]).

Wow... more nonsense. The Pope came from Papa which was the term for the leader of Mithraism in Rome.........
LOL. Your ignorance knows no bounds.

HisServant

Bizarre... you must have no brain whatsoever to believe that tripe!

I find it interesting that all the citations you use are from Non-Jews that lived centuries after the destruction of the temple.. and wouldn't know the tenets of Judaism from a hole in the ground.

Anyhow, its all the machinations of an organization that has a dead God.. so it needs to fabricate its own structure to make sure no one notices that the emperor has no clothes!

LOL

HisServant

Scripture is tripe? Sounds right coming from you. I quote a ton of scriptures and you reply with one line of stupidity. Are you retarded? Maybe you need a little help.

You have VERY LITTLE scripture and it was presented in a very uneducated manner.. and more important, completely out of context with what the sections of scripture were originally written to teach.

Basically, you have used the same tactics that your Pope warned about if the scripture were translated into the vernacular.. that people would use it as a wax nose to make it say whatever they wanted.

Pretty funny actually.

You have used scriptures that teach nothing about the papacy... to support the papacy... correlation = reality?

God is not a God of confusion.. if he meant for these things to exist, he would have written it down in exacting detail so there could be no question about it.. just like he did in the Old Testament. Instead, all your dogma exists in the shadows of scripture... like the devil himself.

john w

Hall of Fame
Scripture is tripe? Sounds right coming from you. I quote a ton of scriptures and you reply with one line of stupidity. Are you retarded? Maybe you need a little help.

Your father the devil quoted scripture. And?

Leviticus.

Obey it. I just quoted it.

See how that works, idiot, who would not know the difference between the book of Isiah, and Isaiah Thomas?

Wick Stick

What is the succession of the apostle of the Gentiles?
The following Catholic/Orthodox Bishopricks trace their succession to Paul:

Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch
Syriac Orthodox Church
Syriac Catholic Church
Maronite Patriarchate of Antioch and the Whole Levant
The Orthodox Church of Cyprus

But, as you probably well know, apostolic succession is a sham, since the "successors" are not apostles, nor invested with any of the power thereof. Neither are they attested by any of the 'signs and wonders' that follow apostles. Likewise, the lists of 'successors' appear to be largely fabricated early on. Later on, the lists are populated by some despicable historical figures who nobody in their right mind could consider to be true believers.

Jarrod

SaulToPaul 2

The following Catholic/Orthodox Bishopricks trace their succession to Paul:

Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch
Syriac Orthodox Church
Syriac Catholic Church
Maronite Patriarchate of Antioch and the Whole Levant
The Orthodox Church of Cyprus

But, as you probably well know, apostolic succession is a sham, since the "successors" are not apostles, nor invested with any of the power thereof. Neither are they attested by any of the 'signs and wonders' that follow apostles. Likewise, the lists of 'successors' appear to be largely fabricated early on. Later on, the lists are populated by some despicable historical figures who nobody in their right mind could consider to be true believers.

Jarrod

Indeed, apostles had to be eye witnesses of the risen LORD.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yep, but when the fried fish is ready, I will come running.

Oh, now you a regular Long John Silver's expert, are you now, squirt? Why don't you call up your local "priest," and tell him that the local Knights of Columbus, at their weekend poker game, is offering "free" fish, for those that bring a gallon of "Ripple," from the rectory? I bet you'd get a chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, "Monsignor" Mayor?

SaulToPaul 2

Oh, now you a regular Long John Silver's expert, are you now, squirt? Why don't you call up your local "priest," and tell him that the local Knights of Columbus, at their weekend poker game, is offering "free" fish, for those that bring a gallon of "Ripple," from the rectory? I bet you'd get a chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, "Monsignor" Mayor?

That's the time!

Danoh

ANY denomination that supports doctrinal development is not Christian in any way shape or form. Simply because they no longer follow Christ.. they follow the image they have created of him.

Beauty being in the eye of its' particular beholder; yours is a definition of beauty (what your words might mean to you and or another).

The RCC asserts, for example, that Luther's had been your same definition of "doctrinal development."

To the MADist, the Reformed Tradition the MADist sees that Luther and the Reformers turned their findings into a bit too soon, is also your definition of "doctrinal development."

Likewise is often the case not only with all groups, but just as often within many a same group.

And so it goes...each generation within one group or another, either concluding as the end all be all what the former turned into tradition a bit too soon; or ending up in another tradition that is actually a departure from those principles that had actually been sound to begin with.

We ALL share this two-fold problem in common; in one way, or another...

A same clarity accross the board on some things, not so on other things.

As in life in general, there are ever...the things that differ.

HisServant

Beauty being in the eye of its' particular beholder; yours is a definition of beauty (what your words might mean to you and or another).

The RCC asserts, for example, that Luther's had been your same definition of "doctrinal development."

To the MADist, the Reformed Tradition the MADist sees that Luther and the Reformers turned their findings into a bit too soon, is also your definition of "doctrinal development."

Likewise is often the case not only with all groups, but just as often within many a same group.

And so it goes...each generation within one group or another, either concluding as the end all be all what the former turned into tradition a bit too soon; or ending up in another tradition that is actually a departure from those principles that had actually been sound to begin with.

We ALL share this two-fold problem in common; in one way, or another...

A same clarity accross the board on some things, not so on other things.

As in life in general, there are ever...the things that differ.

All I strive for is 'as delivered'... nothing more and nothing less.