America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’

January 31, 2019

Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.
That's the conclusion of scientists from University College London, UK.
The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.
This pulled down enough carbon dioxide (CO₂) from the atmosphere to eventually chill the planet.
It's a cooling period often referred to in the history books as the "Little Ice Age" - a time when winters in Europe would see the Thames in London regularly freeze over.
"The Great Dying of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas led to the abandonment of enough cleared land that the resulting terrestrial carbon uptake had a detectable impact on both atmospheric CO₂ and global surface air temperatures," Alexander Koch and colleagues write in their paper published in Quaternary Science Reviews.

What does the study show?
The team reviewed all the population data it could find on how many people were living in the Americas prior to first contact with Europeans in 1492.
It then assessed how the numbers changed in following decades as the continents were ravaged by introduced disease (smallpox, measles, etc), warfare, slavery and societal collapse.
It's the UCL group's estimate that 60 million people were living across the Americas at the end of the 15th Century (about 10% of the world's total population), and that this was reduced to just five or six million within a hundred years.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47063973

The things you learn from liberal studies. I didn't know that the North, Central and South American Indians (aka indigenous civilizations) didn't have diseases, war nor slavery prior to the Europeans arriving, nor did I know that they were known for their farming.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nor did I know that the population was that of 60 million. How did researchers come up with that number?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.

soooo

cultivated vegetation was replaced by non-cultivated vegetation?

and this non-cultivated vegetation had magical CO2 capturing superpowers?

not buying it, but...

if these frauds believed what they're shoveling, wouldn't it be a good idea to identify the magical vegetation and plant it everywhere?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
soooo

cultivated vegetation was replaced by non-cultivated vegetation?

and this non-cultivated vegetation had magical CO2 capturing superpowers?

not buying it, but...

if these frauds believed what they're shoveling, wouldn't it be a good idea to identify the magical vegetation and plant it everywhere?

Being that you're of American Indian descent, and have on occasion been known to belittle the founders of this country, I was hoping that you'd take the side of the authors of the article in the OP.

ok doser

Being that you're of American Indian descent...

unknown

, and have on occasion been known to belittle the founders of this country

not all of them, just the ones who did things that earned them disdain

like owning slaves

and raping them

stuff like that

I was hoping that you'd take the side of the authors of the article in the OP.

sorry to disappoint you :idunno:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
not all of them, just the ones who did things that earned them disdain

like owning slaves

and raping them

stuff like that

Kinda sounds like stuff done by indigenous peoples.

indian1.jpg

But then the woman in the painting probably deserved it, as she undoubtedly made the blanket that was permeated with smallpox.

ok doser

Kinda sounds like stuff done by indigenous peoples.

meh :idunno: indigenous people everywhere - england, scotland, the celts, the picts, the normans, the gauls, the saxons, the vikings - brutality and inhumanity is more the norm than the exception, historically

and that's just looking at northern europe

the problem the indians had with european settlers was that they were facing a population as brutal as they were, but better armed

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
meh :idunno: indigenous people everywhere - england, scotland, the celts, the picts, the normans, the gauls, the saxons, the vikings - brutality and inhumanity is more the norm than the exception, historically

and that's just looking at northern Europe

The article linked in the OP and hence my use of the term means North, Central and South American Indians.

the problem the indians had with european settlers was that they were facing a population as brutal as they were, but better armed

I knew that you'd eventually come around to defending your peeps. While not all of the 'European invaders'
were Christian and did commit atrocities against "indigenous people", they had no idea what kind of savagery the "indigenous people" were capable of.

"In his epic work France and England in North America, the great American historian Francis Parkman describes the early 17th-century recreational and culinary habits of the Iroquois Indians (also known as the Five Nations, from whom, some will have it, the United States derived elements of its Constitution). He tells that the Iroquois, along with other tribes of northeastern United States and Canada, "were undergoing that process of extermination, absorption, or expatriation, which, as there is reason to believe, had for many generations formed the gloomy and meaningless history of the greater part of this continent." Parkman describes an attack by the Iroquois on an Algonquin hunting party, late in the autumn of 1641, and the Iroquois' treatment of their prisoners and victims:..."
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v17/v17n3p-7_Beary.html

ok doser

The article linked in the OP and hence my use of the term means North, Central and South American Indians.

yes, them too

I knew that you'd eventually come around to defending your peeps.

which "peeps" are those?

i identify as primarily northern european heritage, but don't exclude the possibility of indigenous, as my forebears were here in america 400 years ago, in an area of the northeast that had a lot of mixing with natives, french from new france and the Métis

ok doser

While not all of the 'European invaders'
were Christian and did commit atrocities against "indigenous people", they had no idea what kind of savagery the "indigenous people" were capable of.

"In his epic work France and England in North America, the great American historian Francis Parkman describes the early 17th-century recreational and culinary habits of the Iroquois Indians (also known as the Five Nations, from whom, some will have it, the United States derived elements of its Constitution). He tells that the Iroquois, along with other tribes of northeastern United States and Canada, "were undergoing that process of extermination, absorption, or expatriation, which, as there is reason to believe, had for many generations formed the gloomy and meaningless history of the greater part of this continent." Parkman describes an attack by the Iroquois on an Algonquin hunting party, late in the autumn of 1641, and the Iroquois' treatment of their prisoners and victims:..."
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v17/v17n3p-7_Beary.html

they were brutal

we were brutal

they had stone

we had steel

they took time to torture

we tended to bulldoze right through them without stopping

it was hundreds of years ago, they lost - time to get over it and move on

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Link please (conspiracy theories need to be backed up here).

https://www.umass.edu/legal/derrico/amherst/lord_jeff.html

amhert's correspondence is still extant - no historian doubts its veracity

According to your link the alleged conspiracy started in 1763 (by a British General):

Colonel Henry Bouquet to General Amherst, dated 13 July 1763, [262k] suggests in a postscript the distribution of blankets to "inocculate the Indians";
Amherst to Bouquet, dated 16 July 1763, [128k] approves this plan in a postscript and suggests as well as "to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race." (This postcript spans two pages.)

That was more than 200 years AFTER smallpox was introduced to the Americas.

Smallpox in the New World:
Some of the African slaves brought by Columbus to be used on the sugar plantation of the West Indies carried the smallpox virus. In 1495, fifty-seven to eighty percent of the native population of Santa Domingo, and in 1515, two-thirds of the Indians of Puerto Rico were wiped out by smallpox. Ten years after Cortez arrived in Mexico, the native population dropped from twenty-five million to six million five hundred thousand a reduction of seventy-four percent.

… The first major outbreak of an infectious disease on the eastern coast of North America was between 1616-19. The Massachusetts and other Algonquin tribes in the area were reduced from an estimated thirty thousand to three hundred(Bray). When the Pilgrims landed in 1620, there were few Indians left to greet them. Many observers believe this infectious disease was smallpox. Researchers believe smallpox reached the Atlantic Coast of what was to become the United States either from Canada or the West Indies.
http://thefurtrapper.com/home/indian-smallpox/

ok doser

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
didn't mean to suggest otherwise - i'm sorry if you were confused by what i wrote :idunno:

So we can both agree that supposed 'modern day historians' have it wrong that British General Jeffrey Amherst was responsible for introducing smallpox to the North American Indians and you won't be linking supposed evidence saying that he did in the future?