All About the New Covenant

Ben Masada

First of all, according to Jeremiah 31:31, the New Covenant was established with the House of Israel and the House of Judah as one People. And the only thing new about it was the method by which Israel would know the Lord.

Since the beginning as soon as Moses proceeded with the redemption of Israel through the Exodus from Egypt, the Israelites would know the Lord only by means of the Levites whose role was to, orally, teach all Israel how to know the Lord. (II Chronicles 35:3)

Then HaShem, through Jeremiah, declared that the time was about to come for the New Covenant to be established. "See, a time is coming," declares the Lord, 'when I will make a New Covenant with the House of Israel and the House of Judah.' And such is the Covenant after these days," declares the Lord: "I will put My Teachings into their inmost being and inscribe it upon their hearts. Then I will be their God and they shall be My People. No longer will they need to teach one another and say to one another, Heed the Lord; for all of them, from the least of them to the greatest, shall heed to Me,
declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 31:31-34) At that time, the Jews were exiled in Babylon where Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel was in the process to organize the Tanach.

When the Jews were back from Babylon and into the Land of Israel with Ezra at the leading, Ezra, had to explain to the People that, they no longer needed the Levites to teach them how to know the Lord because, surely, this instruction aka the Tanach which he enjoined upon them that day was not too baffling for them, nor it was beyond reach. It was not in the heavens above that they should say, "Who among us can go up to the heavens above and get it for us and impart it to us, that we may observe it?" Neither it was beyond the sea that they should say, "Who among us can cross to the other side of the sea and get it for us and impart it to us that we may observe it?" No, the whole thing was all there, very close to them, in their own mouth and in their own heart. They had only to observe it. (Deuteronomy 30:11-14)

Nothing supernatural about the New Covenant. It had simply added new personal responsibilities to
those as a result of Freewill. Now, man was himself in charge of knowing the Lord without the intervention of any one else to act as Immanuel.

daqq

First of all, according to Jeremiah 31:31, the New Covenant was established with the House of Israel and the House of Judah as one People. And the only thing new about it was the method by which Israel would know the Lord.

Since the beginning as soon as Moses proceeded with the redemption of Israel through the Exodus from Egypt, the Israelites would know the Lord only by means of the Levites whose role was to, orally, teach all Israel how to know the Lord. (II Chronicles 35:3)

Then HaShem, through Jeremiah, declared that the time was about to come for the New Covenant to be established. "See, a time is coming," declares the Lord, 'when I will make a New Covenant with the House of Israel and the House of Judah.' And such is the Covenant after these days," declares the Lord: "I will put My Teachings into their inmost being and inscribe it upon their hearts. Then I will be their God and they shall be My People. No longer will they need to teach one another and say to one another, Heed the Lord; for all of them, from the least of them to the greatest, shall heed to Me,
declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 31:31-34) At that time, the Jews were exiled in Babylon where Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel was in the process to organize the Tanach.

When the Jews were back from Babylon and into the Land of Israel with Ezra at the leading, Ezra, had to explain to the People that, they no longer needed the Levites to teach them how to know the Lord because, surely, this instruction aka the Tanach which he enjoined upon them that day was not too baffling for them, nor it was beyond reach. It was not in the heavens above that they should say, "Who among us can go up to the heavens above and get it for us and impart it to us, that we may observe it?" Neither it was beyond the sea that they should say, "Who among us can cross to the other side of the sea and get it for us and impart it to us that we may observe it?" No, the whole thing was all there, very close to them, in their own mouth and in their own heart. They had only to observe it. (Deuteronomy 30:11-14)

Nothing supernatural about the New Covenant. It had simply added new personal responsibilities to
those as a result of Freewill. Now, man was himself in charge of knowing the Lord without the intervention of any one else to act as Immanuel.

All seems good until the last point which appears to miss the point: the Word is Immanuel, (and no, not just the Testimony of the Master Teacher in the Gospel accounts but all of it, all of Tanach).

Danoh

Yo, BM, weren't you over on the MJ forum on CF?

I seem to recall your name and pattern of expressing yourself in someone over there.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Danoh

All seems good until the last point which appears to miss the point: the Word is Immanuel, (and no, not just the Testimony of the Master Teacher in the Gospel accounts but all of it, all of Tanach).

Well, there is also his assertion that the NC is not supernatural.

Seems to me the LORD's empowering the Israelites with the power to never break the Law again is a bit supernatural.

daqq

Well, there is also his assertion that the NC is not supernatural.

Seems to me the LORD's empowering the Israelites with the power to never break the Law again is a bit supernatural.

Did you notice that the OP quotes from a passage that Paul also quotes from and expounds? (Dt 30:11-14). Paul teaches that the Word which was nigh unto them is Meshiah:

Romans 10:4-8
4 For Meshiah is the goal (τελος - point aimed at) of the Torah unto righteousness to everyone who is faithfully-trusting.
5 BECAUSE Moshe writes about the righteousness which is of the Torah, "The man who does these shall live by|in them." Lv 18:5
6 MOREOVER the righteousness from faithfulness speaks in this manner, "Do not say in your heart, Who shall ascend into the heavens?" (that is, to bring Meshiah down) Dt 30:12
7 Nor say in your heart, "Who shall descend into the abyss?" (that is, to bring Meshiah up from the dead) Dt 30:13 Paraphrase
8 But what does it say? "The ρημα-word is very near unto you, in your mouth and in your heart", (that is, the ρημα-word of the faithfulness which we preach) Dt 30:14

Deuteronomy 30:10-15
10 If you shall hearken unto the voice of YHWH your Elohim, to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this Sefer ha-Torah, and if you turn unto YHWH your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your soul.
11 For this commandment which I command you this day, it is not hidden from you, neither is it far off.
12 It is not in the heavens, that you should say, Who shall ascend for us into the heavens, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it and do it?
13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, Who shall go across the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it and do it?
14 But the Word is very near unto you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.
15 Consider, (See), I have set before you this day life and good, and death and evil:

So Paul is teaching in Rom 10:6-8 that this Word from Deut 30:14 is Meshiah, (and Deut 30:10 says written in the Scroll of the Torah), and therefore the Word of the Torah is Meshiah and Meshiah is the Word of the Torah, (whether spoken with the mouth, as
ρημα-word, or whether λογος-word as perhaps in wisdom and reasoning).

Who shall ascend into the heavens for us, and bring the Word unto us, that we may hear and do? Who shall go across the sea for us, and bring the Word unto us, that we may hear and do? Who shall descend into the abyss, and bring Meshiah up from the dead, that we may hear the Word and do? Nay but, O man, Meshiah the Word is in your mouth and in your heart, (unless of course one rejects the Word of the Torah).

Romans 10:9 W/H (http://biblehub.com/text/romans/10-9.htm)
9 ὅτι ἐὰν ὁμολογήσῃς τὸ ῥῆμα ἐν τῷ στόματί σου ὅτι κύριος Ἰησοῦς, καὶ πιστεύσῃς ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ σου ὅτι ὁ θεὸς αὐτὸν ἤγειρεν ἐκ νεκρῶν, σωθήσῃ·

9 that if you confess with your mouth the
ρημα-word, that is the Master Ι̅H, and trust in your heart that Elohim raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved-delivered.

Or

9 that if you confess the ρημα-word with your mouth, that Ι̅H is Master, (Lord), and trust in your heart that Elohim raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved-delivered.

So the teaching of Paul appears to be in this manner:

Romans 10:4-9 –
For Meshiah is the goal of the Torah unto righteousness to everyone who is faithfully-trusting: because Moshe writes about the righteousness which is of the Torah, "The man who does these shall live by-in them." Moreover the righteousness from faithfulness speaks in this manner, "Do not say in your heart, Who shall ascend into the heavens?" that is, to bring Meshiah down, Nor say in your heart, "Who shall descend into the abyss?" that is, to bring Meshiah up from the dead. But what does it say? "The ρημα-Word is very near unto you, in your mouth and in your heart", that is, the ρημα-Word of the faithfulness which we preach: that if you confess with your mouth the ρημα-Word, that is the Master Ι̅H, (or that Ι̅H is Master), and trust in your heart that Elohim raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved-delivered.

So not just the Logos-Word is Meshiah, but likewise the Rhema-Word is Meshiah, and that Rhema-Word begins with the Torah: and man shall not live by bread alone but by every Rhema-Word which proceeds from the mouth of Elohim, (Dt 8:3 (LXX), Mt 4:4, Lk 4:4).

Yes, the Torah is spiritual and Spirit, (Rom 7:14a). :)

jaybird

any of you guys read much on the DSS and the Essenes? they called themselves a new covenant community and were living arounf the time of Jesus and the 12 yet few talk about them and there is no mention of them in scripture.

daqq

any of you guys read much on the DSS and the Essenes? they called themselves a new covenant community and were living arounf the time of Jesus and the 12 yet few talk about them and there is no mention of them in scripture.

Yeah, if the OP don't mind we can talk about that, but I'll wait for his lead. :)

God's Truth

The New Testament is about how to receive the Holy Spirit to live inside you.