A Story...Only The Father Knows

6days

When a guy wants to marry a girl, he often out of respect and tradition ask permission from the girls parents. This was also true 2,000 years ago in Israel, but the tradition was much more involved. Lets create a couple characters and try recreate how a man proposed.....

Step 1...The Covenant.
Jacob, had noticed the beauty of young Marta at the synagogue for the past few years. He tried to create situations where there paths would cross so that they could exchange a few words. Jacob had come to the realization that he was in love, and would like to marry Marta. So, as was custom, Jacob prepared a marriage contract, both to Marta and her father. Jacob spent hours making the best offer possible. He detailed how he would provide for his bride.... his occupation...income...the living arrangements, and any other details to make the offer appealing. One important, thing, perhaps the most important was the dowry. It had to be good, because the father could accept or reject the offer. The greater the gift, or the greater that Jacob could sacrifice, the deeper he demonstrated his love.

Step 2...The Cup
Jacob now poured a cup of wine offering it to Marta. WHOOPEEE!!! She drank it indicating she accepted the proposal. They were now betrothed to each other. Although this union was not consummated yet and for some time to come...they could not back out of this betrothal without getting a certificate of divorce.

They now went their separate ways and usually not permitted to see each other again until the wedding day which could be a year or a little more. But, as Jacob left, and as tradition dictated, he left a gift for Marty. He left her a beautiful hair comb. Every time she used it over the next year she would think of her Jacob.

Step 3... Preparing The Place
Jacob now returned to his fathers house. As was the custom, Jacob started building a home for his bride and himself. Also, Jacob built according to instructions from his dad a room attached to his fathers home. This room was called the wedding chamber... essentially a honeymoon suite where Jacob and Marta would spend their first 7 days. Over the next year, Jacob toiled building their home, and honeymoon suite with love. . Finally, Jacob had their new home perfect for his bride. BUT...Could he go get her now? NOPE!. The Father had to grant permission before Jacob could go. He had no idea if his dad would say "go" today, next week...or if it might be in 6 more months.

Meanwhile... Back at 'the ranch'
Marta waited in anticipation for the day Jacob would return. Marta was considered consecrated... bought with a price. She was set aside for the groom, wearing a veil to to show she was taken. Marta did not know the day nor the hour when her groom would return. During this period of unknown duration, Marta was focused on being prepared. She saved up a dowry.... had her bags packed... And, because the groom traditionally came at night, she had a lamp filled with oil. She was ready to go!

Step 4...The Groom Returns!
BIG EXCITEMENT!!! The Father released his son to go get his bride. Groomsmen went ahead of the groom and blew trumpets at the city entrance to announce the coming of the groom. Marta had been listening for the trumpet call, and as many brides had done before her... she went to meet the groom at the city gates.

Step 5... The honeymoon and wedding party.
Hmmmmm..... Nobody knows what happened for the next 7 days. Jacob and Marta were out of sight honeymooning. The groomsmen waited. After 7 days... The happy couple came out and... uh.... Well, I'm not sure just how this wes done but they let everyone know that the marriage had been consummated. Let the party begin!. Now 7 more days followed of wedding celebrations.

Step 6... The New Home
Jacob and Marta now returned to the place Jacob had prepared to begin their lives together.

(Above Jewish customs from Chumey, "The Seven Festivals", Samson and Pierce "Family Guide", Amaral "Understanding Jesus")

In this story, we can spot connections between God the Father, The Son and we the bride.

We see Jesus in step 1... He was offering a new covenant / contract.... The price He offered was the breaking of His body. We the bride have been bought with His life. "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed...but with the precious blood of Christ. 1 Peter 1:18.19

We see Jesus in step 2...We see Jesus offering the cup to His bride. " I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." Matt. 26:29
Also, Jesus gave us gifts. (We need to use our gifts and think of Him)

Step 3...John 14:1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.

Step 4...1 Thess 5;1 "Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night....4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Step 5...Jesus has fulfilled the other betrothal requirements and we now wait to be caught up with Him. (The Jews believed in a 7 year time of "Jacobs Trouble"... a time where the righteous would be in the wedding chamber protected from outside troubles.... We now call this time the tribulation)

Step 6...Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Thess. 4:17

Interplanner

Clearly those are the original customs, but I don't think the application is when and where you think.

I think the room prepared was about the inclusion of those who were from the nations. "My father's house has many rooms" proved to be true as the church's mission to the nations grew and grew.

The 'couple' was married earlier than this is saying; see Eph 5. I don't read the Rev as futurists do. It's first page is emphatic that it is about current things then. When you get to chs 15-20, you have a harlot who is stoned, and once out of the picture the wedding happens. That stoning was anticipated by the fact that God was now operating on a new covenant, and then realized when the city of Jerusalem actually was stoned and destroyed. Ch 18 uses the same language as Jesus about Judaism. Then the wedding happens, and the bride (all Christians) have the enormous, living, growing building (Eph 2) with room for the huge family that is birthed...

The time of unequalled trouble was the 3.5 years of the revolt. it was hideous. But believers already had their signal for safely departing from this--the person of Dan 8 would show up during the 'rebellion that desolates' and they were to split upon detecting him (mt 24:15; Mt 24A is also very much about those times and events). Those believers are the ones addressed in the 7 letters, scattered all over Little Asia where they were safe from the ravages of the Jewish war of 66+.

keypurr

Clearly those are the original customs, but I don't think the application is when and where you think.

I think the room prepared was about the inclusion of those who were from the nations. "My father's house has many rooms" proved to be true as the church's mission to the nations grew and grew.

The 'couple' was married earlier than this is saying; see Eph 5. I don't read the Rev as futurists do. It's first page is emphatic that it is about current things then. When you get to chs 15-20, you have a harlot who is stoned, and once out of the picture the wedding happens. That stoning was anticipated by the fact that God was now operating on a new covenant, and then realized when the city of Jerusalem actually was stoned and destroyed. Ch 18 uses the same language as Jesus about Judaism. Then the wedding happens, and the bride (all Christians) have the enormous, living, growing building (Eph 2) with room for the huge family that is birthed...

The time of unequalled trouble was the 3.5 years of the revolt. it was hideous. But believers already had their signal for safely departing from this--the person of Dan 8 would show up during the 'rebellion that desolates' and they were to split upon detecting him (mt 24:15; Mt 24A is also very much about those times and events). Those believers are the ones addressed in the 7 letters, scattered all over Little Asia where they were safe from the ravages of the Jewish war of 66+.

Thank you, nice story.