Recent content by Clete

  1. Clete

    On the omniscience of God

    Nor will he answer it. He cannot. At least not without blowing up his own religion. He can't do it because, as irrational as they (Calvinists) are, they can't escape the reality in which they exist, a reality which functions in such a way that reason actually does work. In other words, they...
  2. Clete

    On the omniscience of God

    I used to find it amusing when people would use the language of reason (e.g., “therefore”) while spouting totally absurd gibberish that they’d done exactly ZERO actual thinking to arrive at. Now it's just annoying. It's just stupidity, made to sound intelligent. When it's done on purpose, as...
  3. Clete

    On the omniscience of God

    I used to find it amusing when people would use the language of reason (e.g., “therefore”) while spouting totally absurd gibberish that they’d done exactly ZERO actual thinking to arrive at. Now it's just annoying. It's just stupidity, made to sound intelligent. When it's done on purpose, as...
  4. Clete

    The continued policing problem in America.

    You watch too many YouTube videos. You should try watching On Patrol Live. You'd have a very much more accurate understanding of what police officers do and why they do it. Police are not violent, they're scared. That's right, they're scared. They are trained to be scared to death that they...
  5. Clete

    The continued policing problem in America.

    You don't think that police officers are trained to know nervous behavior when they see it? Please explain. Backwards, how? By the way, I'm no great big fan of police officers and I'm not denying that there isn't a great deal of stuff that goes on that is very very wrong. I'm just saying that...
  6. Clete

    On the omniscience of God

    I entirely agree that this is definitely an important aspect of Open Theism's theology proper but I'd stop short of calling it a primary premise. The primary premise(s) of Open Theism are God's qualitative attributes. It is the fact that God is loving and just (and in all ways righteous) that...
  7. Clete

    The continued policing problem in America.

    I saw no evidence of that in the video my comment was in response to. On the contrary, that guy was acting suspicious by almost any measure. I grant that our laws in this country are dumb and counter productive but that cop wasn't.
  8. Clete

    The Plain Reading of Scripture

    Wow!
  9. Clete

    Different Stuff

    Well, I'd agree that this point means they wouldn't be arbitrarily condemned to Hell as many Calvinists believe, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that their permanent residency in Heaven is something that they are entitled to or even that such is guaranteed. That would make their heavily...
  10. Clete

    What happened at Pentecost?

    When it comes to Catholic dogma, it's baffling more often than not! It's amazing that it doesn't just collapse based on its own blatant incoherence.
  11. Clete

    The Plain Reading of Scripture

    I’ve looked into this a lot. Admitting error does take humility. To say, “I’ve been wrong for decades,” is tough for just about anyone, but it’s mostly not about mere stubbornness. Beliefs get tied to identity. People start by accepting what they’re taught, then learn to defend it, and...
  12. Clete

    Different Stuff

    Why would they be entitled?
  13. Clete

    Different Stuff

    Entitled?
  14. Clete

    My Loved Ones Hate Jesus

    It seems like he is using the term "Christian" in a non-religious sense. He seems to be using it in a manner that is almost synonymous with "the West" or "Western society," as if the term "Christian" denotes a cultural way of thinking that stands apart from the faith that carries the same name...
  15. Clete

    What happened at Pentecost?

    That is, of course, true, but most simply do not see it. I remember very clearly when I experienced the "light-bulb moment" while reading Enyart's The Plot. In fact, Enyart was responsible for two major light-bulb moments for me. The second was during his bible study of the book of Genesis...
Top