Y’shu or Jesus

CherubRam

Y’shu or Jesus

The name Jesus was invented not very long ago.
So how important is it to call a person by their real name? The name Jesus is derived from y'shu, the letter s is added at the end of (Jesu-s) and is only a male gender designation in Greek. The "Je" in Greek is for the letter Y in Hebrew. I guess good intentions count for something if a person does not know any better. I would think that a person would prefer being called by their real name though.

Yahshua is his name. Pronounced: Yah / shoo / uw / ah. The "u" has a "w" sound.

History of the name Jesus:
The English form "Jesus" was not seen nor spoken until after the year 1525, when Sir William Tyndale, a Protestant Reformer from Oxford, England --- invented it.

CherubRam

Wikipedia References
Dictionary of Jewish usage: a guide to the use of Jewish terms - Page 39 Sol Steinmetz - 2005 - 207 pages - Preview A.\M,yimach shemo vezichro!. plural, yimach shemom (vezich- rom). (Literally) 'May his name and memory be blotted out!' Used after an individual's name, as in Haman yimach shemo! zichrono livrocho, plural, zichronom livrocho.

Chaim Bermant The walled garden: the saga of Jewish family life and tradition - 1974 "The darkest curse in the Hebrew language is yemach shemo vezichro, 'may his name and remembrance be obliterated"

Lawrence Schimel Found tribe - 2002 "The worst curse in Hebrew is "Yemach shemo!" May his name be erased!"

Jewish Currents 1990 reprinted Max Rosenfeld Festivals, folklore & philosophy: a secularist revisits Jewish ... 1997 "When you utter his name, you add (with feeling) yimakh shemoy! — may his name be obliterated! This phrase has become a kind of formula in Yiddish writing, whenever the name of Hitler occurs, but of course it originated with Haman"

A Yiddish dictionary in transliteration Harry Coldoff - 1988 Jewish language review: Volume 4 Association for the Study of Jewish Languages - 1984 "Mikoyekh hayntike tsaytn, mikoyekh emigratsye, Palestine, veys ikh! Veys ikh? Epes dakht zikh mir - - oykh dos zelbe?. Nu, un der Voskhod? Der Voskhod? Dos iz a kol-boynik, yemakh-shmoy! Ir hot gezen, vi tsederboym raybt im a morde?"

American voices: how dialects differ from coast to coast - Page 254 Walt Wolfram, Ben Ward - 2006 - 269 "Expressions include wishful terms, eg, halevai 'would that it were so', greetings, eg, boruch habo 'welcome', curses, eg, yemach shemo 'may his name be blotted out', and interjections, eg, nu 'well, so'. "

Dictionary of Jewish usage: a guide to the use of Jewish terms - Page 39 Sol Steinmetz - 2005 A. M,yimach shemo vezichro!. plural, yimach shemom (vezichrom). (Literally) 'May his name and memory be blotted out!'" [e.g.; Who's who in Lubavitch: Volume 1 Chaim Dalfin - 2003 "...sent Rabbi Rafael Kahn, who was Rav in Usvet, replacing his father-in-law Rabbi Yoel Dovidson, to replace Rabbi Estrin in Shtzedrin. Later he was rav in Nevel and finally in Riga, where he was murdered by the Nazis yimach shemom.]

Osher M. Lehmann, Oscar M. Lehmann Faith at the brink: an autobiography of the formative years 1996 "The abbreviation YS is added in this book, following the initial mention of committed German evildoers. YS, "Yemach Shemom" literally translates to "May his/her/their name be erased"."

Gershom Scholem Tagebücher: nebst Aufsätzen und Entwürfen bis 1923 2 - 1995 "Und den Nathanael gelesen. Gefährlich! Herren Professoren Strack und Dalman! יש"ו [Abk. für ימח שמו (jimach schemo, sein Name sei ausgelöscht)]."

Mordechai Rotenberg Damnation & deviance: the Protestant ethic and the spirit of failure Page 92 2003 "and the Hebrew expression "erased be his name" ("yimach shmo") is known to be a most powerfully devastating curse."

The Jewish moral virtues 232 Eugene B. Borowitz, Frances Weinman Schwartz - 1999 "The Classic Jewish Curse: Yimakh Shmo, May His Name Be Blotted Out."

Shulamis Yelin Shulamis: stories from a Montreal childhood - 1984 "And every time his abhorrent name was mentioned, it was followed by an extended roll of wooden noise- makers, graggers, and the curse, Yemach Shemoh!, May his name be wiped out. Thus had Jews revelled in the miracles of their survival ..."

Sarah Silberstein Swartz, Margie Wolfe From memory to transformation: Jewish women's voices 1998 "Part of the ritualized story includes repeating Haman, the villain's name, frequently. ... After mentioning his name, many will say, yemakh shemo, may his name be erased, eradicated."

Hebrew phrasebook Klara Ilana Wistinetzki, Justin Ben-Adam Rudelson Lonely Planet 1999 "Under Italian influence, Purim carnivals have become common in many countries, with performances retelling the story of Purim. As part of the holiday, Jews are commanded to obliterate Haman's name throughout the generations."

First things: Issues 129-133 Institute on Religion and Public Life - 2003 "The phrase is yemach shemo, which means, may his name be erased. It is used whenever a great enemy of the Jewish nation, of the past or present, is mentioned.

Chaim Schloss 2000 years of Jewish history: from the destruction of the second Bais Hamikdash until the Twentieth Century 2002, p188 "Shabsai Tzvi yimach shemo"

A Chassidic journey: the Polish Chassidic dynasties of Lublin p192 Shalom Meʼir ben Mordekhai Ṿalakh (ha-Kohen.) - 2002 "The material poverty was matched by a spiritual crisis of unprecedented dimensions within the ranks of religious Jewry, caused by Shabsai Tzvi, yemach shemo."

The essential Ilan Stavans p126 Ilan Stavans - 2000 citing Alberto Gerchunoff, The Jewish gauchos of the pampas Spanish 1910, English translation 1998 Prudencio de Pereda - 1998 "The Dain shrugged indignantly, and said in Hebrew: "Yemach Shemam Vizichrom!, May Spain sink in the sea! May she break into pieces! May her memory be obliterated! I can never think of Spain," the old man said, "without having the blood .."

Jewish currents: 44 1990 "To the youth, Yiddish is a foreign language, thanks to Stalin, Yemach shemo (May his name be erased)! In five schools and four kindergartens, Yiddish is now taught to 200 pupils (including non-Jews)"

The National Jewish monthly: Volume 43 B'nai B'rith - 1928 ""Do you think the Germans are any worse than the Russians — yimach shemom — who're on our side?" "You don't understand, dad. Anyhow, Australia's been jolly good to us Jews. The least we can do is to defend her when she is attacked."

Yair Weinstock Holiday tales for the soul: a famous novelist retells holiday Libby Lazewnik - 2002 -"The words "yemach shemam" ("may their names be erased!") were frequently on Meyer's lips — referring as much to the Poles as to the Nazis themselves. "There is no forgiveness," he would declare. "The Poles are the lowest and most ..."

New York Magazine - 31 Mar 1997 - Page 49 Vol. 30, No. 12 "... relatives to whom they sent letters, clothes, and, once, curtains for a wedding present. By war's end, only a cousin or two remained alive. Every time the rabbi at yeshiva mentioned Hitler, he spat out afterward, "Yemach shemo"

Judah Lifschitz, Aharon Sorsḳi The Klausenberger Rebbe: the war years - Page 184 2003 -"Our Sages teach us that if the Jewish people are not worthy of redemption at the end of days, the Almighty will issue harsh decrees against them — decrees which we have already suffered at the hands of Hitler, yemach shemo "

David Kranzler, Eliezer Gevirtz To save a World 1991 " "...for Jewish affairs to Eichmann, yemach shemo." He was referring to Adolf Eichmann, the supreme implementer of the Nazi scheme to deport and murder the Jews."

Nachman Seltzer In the blink of an eye: and other stories p145 2006 "Mengele, yemach shemo. How could such a creature breathe the same air as everyone else?"

Sh'ma 485-515 1995 "yemach shmam vezikhbram (may the name and memory be blotted out), the colloquially used epithet that accompanies all mentions of Hitler or the Nazis in some people's vernacular"

Yaffa Eliach Hasidic tales of the Holocaust 1982 "When one said in the ghetto, "The dog, may his name be obliterated," it was clear to all to whom the reference was made: to the Hauptsturmführer (captain) in the Passport Division."

Dovid Kaplan, Elimelech Meisels The Kiruv Files 2003 Page 82 - " He carried a physical scar from when his father had attacked him with a broken bottle and no shortage of emotional scars as well. One day he mentioned his deceased father to me and added the words yemach shemo (may his name be erased)."

From the ghetto to the melting pot: Israel Zangwill's Jewish plays p6 Israel Zangwill, Edna Nahshon - 2006 -"Moses reproached his friend privately, saying he did not wish to be known as the father of a "renegade" and used a fierce epithet: "yimakh shmo" (may his name be obliterated)/ In his later years, the father left London to live in Jerusalem."

Rav Shach on Chumash: an anthology collected from his disciples Elʻazar Menaḥem Man Shakh, Asher ben Meʼir Tsevi Bergman - 2004 "There was one exception — the leader of the Maskilim in Vilna, Adam HaKohen Sherry, to whose name the Chofetz Chaim would add yemach shemo (may his name be erased). And why? Because when the Chofetz Chaim studied in Vilna in his youth, he became well known as a very bright young man who held great promise as a future Torah giant. Adam HaKohen himself came to him and tried to convince him to abandon his studies."

Proceedings: Volume 4 Aḳademyah ha-leʼumit ha-Yiśreʼelit le-madaʻim - 1969 "Perhaps the most significant of these is the passage where instead of the printed 'that certain man' we find 'Jesus the Nazarene — may his name be obliterated' (thus also in a Genizah MS, British Museum, Or. 91842). "

Michael H. Cohen A Friend of All Faiths - Page 42 - 2004 "In Hebrew school, one of my teachers had explained that Yeshu (Hebrew for Jesus), rather than meaning "Saviour," in fact was an acronym that stood for yimach shemo ve-zichrono: "may his name and memory be erased "

Apocryphal gospels: an introduction :Hans-Josef Klauck p213. Toledoth Yeshu "An unfriendly interpretation of the child's name is offered: 'But the name Yeshu means: "May his name be blotted out, and his memory too!"' (§ 58). The three letters of which the name Jesus in Hebrew consists, yod, sin and waw,"

Mats Eskhult Rabbi Kemper's Case for Christianity in His Matthew Commentary, with Reference to Exegesis (per Mats Eskhult (Uppsala University) Hebrew Studies within Seventeenth Century Swedish Lutheranism) in Religious polemics in context: papers presented to the Second International Conference of the Leiden Institute for the Study of Religions (LISOR) ed. Theo L. Hettema, Arie van der Kooij - Page 161 2004 - "This is applied to Jesus: "It is easy to see that Jesus is spoken of," Kemper says, "and still today they mock him by rendering his name without 'ayin as Yeshu, ie, yimmah stud wezikro 'may his name and memory be wiped out."

I didn't know that! - Page 370 Joe Bobker - 2008 "The term Yemach shemo vzichro (which I heard regularly in my home in the context of Adolf and his Hitlerian hordes) was originally associated with the ultimate enemy, Amalek, "

Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods Michael Wex - 2006 "A few names that have nothing to do with Amalek are also blotted in the Bible, but the association of yemakh shmoy with Amalek remains strong: the traditional way of testing a new pen is to write "Amalek" (in Hebrew letters, of course) and then scribble over it until it is "blotted out. "

Picturing Yiddish: gender, identity, and memory in the illustrated ... - Page 145 Diane Wolfthal - 2004 also Artful armies, beautiful battles Page 199 Pia F. Cuneo - 2002 "On Purim, some Sephardic congregants write Haman's name on the soles of their shoes and pound the floor until his name is erased.'2 Deuteronomy 25:19 commands Jews to blot out Amalek's name. Since Haman is Amalek's descendant, "

Saul Bellow: a critical essay Robert Detweiler - 1967 -"Or listen to Herzog in a comically vengeful mood: "Yemach sh'mol Let their names be blotted out!"

Liela H. Goldman Saul Bellow's moral vision: a critical study of the Jewish experience He says: "Yemach sh'mo!" Let their names be blotted out!" (250). The Hebrew noun for the word name is shem ... If Herzog is referring to his enemies, he would have to say yemach sh'mom. His anger does not justify incorrect usuage"

Haber, L. The Red Heifer (2001) Glossary yemach shemoy (shetno) (pl. yemach shemum): may his name be erased (used in reference to an evil tyrant or an oppressor); when v'zichroy (v' zichro) is added (pl. v'zichrum), the phrase is extended to mean, May his name and his memory be erased

Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods Michael Wex - 2006 "Yemakh shmoy is so serious that the noun that derives from it is never used about anyone about whom you'd actually say yemakh shmoy. A yemakh-shmoynik (feminine, yemakh-shmoynitse) is "a scoundrel, an evildoer," but not evil enough to…"

God's sacred tongue: Hebrew & the American imagination - Page 96 Shalom Goldman - 2004 "One of the names by which such a person is called, is meshummad, from the root shamad, which signifies to destroy; and to this name they generally add yemach shemo vesichro; ie let his name and memory be blotted out.

Judah and Israel: or, The restoration and conversion of the Jews p5 Joseph Samuel Christian Frederick Frey - 1812 "One of the names by which they call him or her is Meshummad or Meshummedeth, from the root Shamad, which signifies to destroy ; and to this name they generally add, Yemach Shemo vesichro, ie, Let his name and memory be blotted out."

CherubRam

Dishonor His Name
For thousands of years the refusing to use a person's name has been a direct form of dishonor. Shortening the name, replacing the name, distorting the name, all are signs of dishonor.

Honorable Mention
An “honorable mention” is a title of distinction given to a person worthy of mention. Upon honoring the person their name is mentioned, so their name has a place of honor known among the people.

CherubRam

Yahwah's name was in the original New Testament scriptures

After killing Hebrew Christians, the Jews would take the New testament scripture written in Hebrew, and carefully cut the name of God out. Then they would place the divine name in a safe place to keep. Following that, they then would burn the remainder of the scrolls in a fire. Rabbi Yose who lived during the second century AD states that, "One cuts out the reference to the Divine Name which are in them [the New Testament writings] and stores them away, and the rest burns." One of his characteristic sayings is, "He who proclaimed the coming of the Messiah,[John] and he who hated scholars [Yahshua] and his disciples; and that false prophet and those slanderers, will have no part in the future world."

According to Wilhelm Bacher this was directed against the Hebrew Christians. And so it is an established fact then, that the disciples of Christ did in fact write the Holy Name of God into the original New Testament.

CherubRam

Yeshua is not Christ name.

Europeanization of Hebrew
Most likely the “e” vowel became part of Hebrew between 300 AD to 600AD.
Hebrew was revived by Jewish people thinking and speaking in modern European languages.

Note on Mishnaic Hebrew
The earliest Rabbinic literature dates from the period 70-200 CE and it is written in a spoken Hebrew of the time, often called, after the most famous literary product of the time, Mishnaic Hebrew. Mishnaic Hebrew is very different from Biblical Hebrew.

CherubRam

By not pronouncing his name correctly this piece of scripture would go unnoticed.

Exodus 23:21
Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him.
Yah / wah and Yah / Shua

John 17:11
I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
Yah / Shua

CherubRam

Y’shua is Yahshua
After the return from Babylonian captivity the Jews began a practice of not speaking or writing God’s name, or His name in full. It is also known that the Galileans dropped their ayins, so as to not say God’s name. In a theophoric name even the letter yod can stand for the name Yah. Even today we use initial letters to represent a full name. Y’shua is Yahshua. The vowel between the first and last name does not belong, it is a sign for the person to say (Lord) instead of Yahwah or Yahshua.

CherubRam

ישׁוע / The yod alone can stand for the name Yah in a word.

Y’ shua is the short form of Yahshua. The spelling ישׁוע is a long standing Jewish tradition of not writing or pronouncing God’s name.

A theory by Christian Ginsburg that this is due to Hebrew scribes omitting the "h", changing Jeho (יְהוֹ‎) into Jo (יוֹ‎), to make the start of "Yeho-" names not sound like an attempt to pronounce the Divine Name. Theophoric name - Wikipedia

CherubRam

I personally like being called by my real name and not something that is derogatory.

In case it went over your head, Y'shu is Jesus. And that is why I do not like to use the name Jesus.

CherubRam

Yah short form

Yah (Hebrew: יהּ‎‎ Yah) is a short form of Yahwah (in consonantal spelling YHWH Hebrew: יהוה‎‎, called the Tetragrammaton), the proper name of God in the Hebrew Bible. This short form of the name occurs 50 times in the text of the Hebrew Bible, of which 24 form part of the phrase "Halleluyah".

CherubRam

I come in the name of Yahwah.

Psalm 118:26
Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.) From the house of (the Lord / Yahwah) we bless you.

Matthew 23:39
For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.)’”

Luke 13:35
Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.)’”

Besides me, have you heard any Christians say God's name is Yahwah?

Last edited:

CherubRam

Yahshua Yeshua
Because Hebrews dropped their 'ayins', to keep from saying God's name, hence we have "y'shua." Also spelled Yeshua, for which we have in Greek, "Iēsous" and "Isus." These are corruptions of the names that begin with "Yah."

CherubRam

Yahwah
A note on the words hawah and hayah.

Quote from pages 217 and 218 of the Brown-Driver-Briggs. Ref # 3068-69 on page 217.
Brown-Driver-Briggs on page 218 states that, "Many recent scholars explain יהוה‎ as Hiph. of הוה equals היה "

הוה hawah / HWH is hawah.
היה hayah / HYH is hayah.

Note that the vowels are all " a."
יהוה Yahwah

The vowels are "a" in the Brown-Driver-Briggs, the NIV Exhaustive Concordance, and the Strong's Exhaustive Concordances.
The name Yahwah is from the Aramaic, not the Hebrew.

CherubRam

Inthe name of Yahwah
Yahwah The Lord

Blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahwah. From the house of Yahwahwe bless you.

Matthew 21:9
The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna tothe Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahwah!” “Hosannain the highest heaven!”

For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he whocomes in the name of Yahwah.’”

Mark 11:9
Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, “Hosanna!” “Blessed ishe who comes in the name of Yahwah!”

Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me againuntil you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahwah.’”

John 12:13
They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna!” “Blessedis he who comes in the name of Yahwah!” “Blessed is the king of Israel!”

Psalm 118

The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;

23 Yahwah has done this,
and it is marvelous in our eyes.
24 Yahwah has done it this very day;
let us rejoice today and be glad.
25 Yahwah, save us!
Yahwah, grant us success!
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahwah.
From the house of Yahwah we bless you.

Psalm 110:1
Yahwah said unto my lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemiesthy footstool.

Matthew22:44
Yahwah said unto my lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemiesthy footstool?

Mark12:36
For David himself said by the Holy Spirit, Yahwah said to my lord, Sit thou onmy right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Luke20:42
And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, Yahwah said unto my lord, Sitthou on my right hand,

Acts2:34
For David has not ascended into the heavens: but he himself said, Yahwah saidunto my lord, Sit on my right hand,

Hebrews1:13
To which of the messengers did he at one time say, Sit on my right hand, untilI make your enemies your footstool?

CherubRam

In the 1611 King James New Testament the name Yahshua appeared originally wherever the Messiah was spoken of. But shortly afterward it was changed.

Attention: I am unable to verify the above claim.

Last edited:

CherubRam

Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.

13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?” (
Elohiym means, “God of The Living.”) It can also be translated as “god-s of the living” or “god-s of life;” for those who have life immortal.
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “
The Living that Lives.This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.” (HaYah) in the ancient Semitic language means: The Living, or The Life.)
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, '
Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”

CherubRam

Yahshua_zps211b2035.jpg

CherubRam

I come in the name of Yahwah.

Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.) From the house of (the Lord / Yahwah) we bless you.

For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.)’”

Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of (the Lord / Yahwah.)’”

Besides me, have you heard any Christians say God's name is Yahwah?

In twenty more years you will hear more Christians use the Fathers name Yahwah.