Woman finds out during church sermon her husband is newly married

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

It's not often that a marriage announcement in church lands the groom in jail, but that's exactly what happened to an Orange County (FL) man who already had a wife.

Patrick Celicourt's wife of 22 years said she found out during a church service that her husband had married another woman, but apparently his deception did not stop there.

The affidavit details how Celicourt went as far as to attempt to sell his family's home without telling them.

Celicourt and his new wife apparently got a marriage license on March 9, but it's unclear when and where they wed.

Celicourt's first wife claims she found out in church when the pastor announced it, leaving her "embarrassed and belittled."

Channel 9 learned there have been few who have faced prosecution for bigamy in central Florida in recent years.

Family law attorney Carlos Martin checked central Florida counties for cases dating back to 2000.

"Only 14 defendants have been prosecuted for bigamy, and only one has been sentenced to any time -- nine months," he said.

Patrick Celicourt is also charged with providing false official statements.

"Since he's trying to get rid of marital possessions, that may be a reason why the prosecutor decides to go ahead and press charges," said Martin.

Bigamy is a felony, and while Patrick Celicourt fights those charges, he and his first wife are now getting divorced. The second marriage is void, officials said.

"The eyes of the law, they are not married. He's still married to the first person," said Martin.

Celicourt could face up to five years in prison if convicted.

What do you think should happen here?

Do you think bigamy should be prosecuted?

Foxfire

Bigamy is it's own punishment, I'd wager! :rotfl:

Deuteronomy 21:15

Genesis 4:19

Genesis 32:22

1 Samuel 1:2

2 Samuel 2:2

1 Chronicles 4:5

2 Chronicles 13:21

2 Chronicles 24:3

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Deuteronomy 21:15

Genesis 4:19

Genesis 32:22

1 Samuel 1:2

2 Samuel 2:2

1 Chronicles 4:5

2 Chronicles 13:21

2 Chronicles 24:3

So im guessing that means you believe bigamy to be ok even if the man is hiding it from everyone, got it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So I'm guessing that means that you (as typical) read into the text what ever you choose.

Your question WAS!

You didn't ask anything about extenuating circumstances.

Its up to you to define your stance and answer the op, if you arent interested, why are you in this thread?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Another article about it: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/orlando-man-arrested-on-bigamy-accusations/35466062

An Orlando man faces criminal charges after prosecutors discovered he was married to two women.

According to his arrest affidavit, Patrick Celicourt, 49, faces charges of bigamy and making false statements.

His wife of 23 years, Mitha Plaisimond, told investigators she found out Celicourt had taken another wife when her church pastor announced it to the congregation at End Time Sabbath Worship Center in April.

She later told investigators she said to the congregation that Celicourt was still married to her and living with her and the congregation started laughing.

According to court records, Plaisimond filed for divorce in Orange County soon afterward, and when the judge discovered Celicourt had married again, she turned the case over to the State Attorney's Office.

Celicourt was arrested Wednesday.

While Plaisimond and her three children had no comment on his marriage or his arrest, Celicourt's side of the family came to his defense.

His niece, Maggie St. Jean, insists her uncle was never married to Plaisimond in the first place.

"There was no record that Mitha and my uncle were ever married, according to the court system," she told News 6. "When my uncle pulled it from the court system, there was nothing saying they were ever married."

News 6 easily found the marriage license signed by both Celicourt and Plaisimond from 1993 at the Orange County Courthouse.

Celicourt's marriage application for his new marriage in March showed he did not list his marriage to Plaisimond.

Why didn't workers check to see if Celicourt was married before they issued the license?

Tiffany Moore Russell, the Orange County Clerk of Courts, gave News 6 an explanation:

“The Clerk’s Office issues marriage licenses pursuant to the statutory authority provided in Section 741.04, Florida Statutes. That statute details the information to be obtained from the applicants, and that the information obtained is to be given under oath. To provide this information, the applying couple completes an application, including a section regarding any previous marriages. If either applicant answers yes to being previously married, they also indicate the date when the previous marriage ended. Again, this is information provided under oath, with both applicants completing the application with their signatures, affirming that all information provided is true and correct.

"The Clerk’s Office is not required by the statute or any other authority to verify that information provided by the applicants under oath is, in fact, true and correct, including their attestation regarding prior marriages and divorces. Moreover, there is no way to feasibly perform this search on all applicants that come from any jurisdiction to the Clerk for their marriage licenses. The Clerk performs its ministerial duty to apply Florida Statutes such as 741.04, and must rely on applicants to adhere to the oath they take, knowing that provision of false information is punishable by the Florida Statutes, including Sections 837.06 (regarding perjury) and 826.01 (regarding bigamy), and subject to prosecution if deemed appropriate by the State Attorney’s Office."

Celicourt's bigamy charge is a third-degree felony and carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison if he is convicted.

Seems the dog tried to claim he wasnt married to his original wife, even though it wasnt hard to find the license, and he actually lived with her and his children during all of it.

Huckleberry

:execute:

Edit: Okay, that's an emotional response. I'm honestly not sure what the biblical response would be. Feels right to me though. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

No, though I'd say the marital assets should be forfeit and the alimony commiserate. Or, I don't think we need to put him on the public dole. Let him make his way through the world paying her freight and without the means he accrued during the marriage. Otherwise you only take him out of wage earning ability and she ends up paying for it again.

exminister

No, though I'd say the marital assets should be forfeit and the alimony commiserate. Or, I don't think we need to put him on the public dole. Let him make his way through the world paying her freight and without the means he accrued during the marriage. Otherwise you only take him out of wage earning ability and she ends up paying for it again.

OK. But tattoo on his forehead "Bigamist" so no other woman can be dupped.

Christian Liberty

In the case of open bigamy, it seems to me from scripture that its a sin but not a crime. I'm open to being convinced that it could be a crime, but I don't really see a strong Biblical basis for this.

But since this was done in secret like this, it seems like it is actually adultery, which should be punishable. Furthermore, our current marriage vows ("forsaking all others, till death do us part") actually rule out bigamy outright, in which case you could make a very strong argument that breaking such contract should not be allowed.

But in a case where the marriage covenant made did allow bigamy, I think it would be a sin, but not a crime, to engage in it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

WizardofOz

In the case of open bigamy, it seems to me from scripture that its a sin but not a crime. I'm open to being convinced that it could be a crime, but I don't really see a strong Biblical basis for this.

But since this was done in secret like this, it seems like it is actually adultery, which should be punishable. Furthermore, our current marriage vows ("forsaking all others, till death do us part") actually rule out bigamy outright, in which case you could make a very strong argument that breaking such contract should not be allowed.

But in a case where the marriage covenant made did allow bigamy, I think it would be a sin, but not a crime, to engage in it.

The bible is not the 'end all' for the creation of a modern, comprehensive legal code. :nono:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

These men! They're all the same.

But joking aside, I agree with Nick M.
Not unless fags and "gay" marriage are prosecuted.

I also think you Americans are a bit hung up on law. Does everything have to be either legal or illegal? Can't some things just be moral or immoral? It's like you feel that people should be punished for what they do wrong, just so long as it's the state doing the punishing and the individual can thus wash his or her hands.