Why Some People Love Their Religion

Robert Pate

Banned
People love their religion because their religion is about them. Religion is very subjective. In the Catholic religion there are many, many, things for them to do. They are busy, busy, busy, doing their religion. I know of some Catholics that go to mass everyday and then there is Calvinism. Calvinism is all about the Calvinist. The have been chosen, they have been elected, they have been predestinated and then all that they can talk about is how special they are to God. The Canons of Dort refers to them as "Some Certain Persons". The Pharisees also thought they they were God's special chosen ones. You can read what Jesus had to say about them in the 23rd chapter of Matthew.

To say that religion is subjective and self centered may be an understatement. The Gospel is not about us, the Gospel is about Jesus Christ. We had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the Gospel. The Gospel is totally and completely outside of us. The Gospel is a one time event that took place over 2000 years ago, before we were born. The Gospel is about that work that Jesus did that reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. What is our position? We are the benefactors of the Gospel. We are the sinners that Jesus came into the world to save. The Gospel is objective (outside of us) The only part that we have in it is to believe it and receive it as our only means of salvation, John 1:12.

It was Jesus that fulfilled every Jot and tittle of God's Holy Law and in doing so justified us, Matthew 5:18 also Romans 3:26. It was Jesus that atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2 also 1 John 4:14. It was Jesus that MADE us acceptable to God the Father and has seated us in heavenly places in Christ, Ephesians 2:6. It was Jesus that did it all and he did it perfectly.

Jesus said, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matthew 6:21. Is your treasure in heaven at the right hand of God? Or is your treasure your religion, which is about you? Is your religion Christ centered? If it was, you would not need a religion. It is not the Gospel plus Catholicism, nor is it the Gospel plus Calvinism. It is the Gospel plus nothing, because there is nothing that can save you other than Jesus Christ. The Catholic church cannot atone for your sins. Calvinism does not make you acceptable to God, only Jesus Christ can make you acceptable to God. I say renounce your worthless religion and trust in Christ alone for your salvation.

Last edited:
It all comes down to vanity, the flesh. Most people want to think they're somebody. Bottom line, most people won't accept they're just a piss ant, without God. Most people reject humility and want to control. The Catholic hierarchy is about control freaks on steroids. It's not just Catholics, all cults seek control, to isolate people under their thumbs by special, false doctrines.

Religion is a great tool of the devil, who comes as an angel of light, to pervert and tickle the ears of people who are all too willing, in their blind vanity, to be tickled, straight into hell. Vanity, ego, narcissism, the flesh, take your pick. People won't come to Christ, because they love their evil and vanity more, love their sin, which false religion caters to.

John 3

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The Scribes and Pharisees were up to their ears in fake religion, outward appearances, but couldn't tolerate being reproved and their evil hearts being exposed.

Robert Pate

Banned
It all comes down to vanity, the flesh. Most people want to think they're somebody. Bottom line, most people won't accept they're just a piss ant, without God. Most people reject humility and want to control. The Catholic hierarchy is about control freaks on steroids. It's not just Catholics, all cults seek control, to isolate people under their thumbs by special, false doctrines.

Religion is a great tool of the devil, who comes as an angel of light, to pervert and tickle the ears of people who are all too willing, in their blind vanity, to be tickled, straight into hell. Vanity, ego, narcissism, the flesh, take your pick. People won't come to Christ, because they love their evil and vanity more, love their sin, which false religion caters to.

John 3

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The Scribes and Pharisees were up to their ears in fake religion, outward appearances, but couldn't tolerate being reproved and their evil hearts being exposed.

I agree with all that you have said.

Religion is a thing of the flesh.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Religion is a thing of the flesh.

So is the Bible a religious Book or a secular book? Is it fiction or nonfiction?

We know the Bible was written by men so do you believe it was an attempt on their part to deceive people?

I don't understand what there is about Catholics or Calvinists that bothers you. Why do you limit freedom of religion for others?

Robert Pate

Banned
So is the Bible a religious Book or a secular book? Is it fiction or nonfiction?

We know the Bible was written by men so do you believe it was an attempt on their part to deceive people?

I don't understand what there is about Catholics or Calvinists that bothers you. Why do you limit freedom of religion for others?

All through the Old Testament and into the New Testament God's people are those who live by faith.

"The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

Not by rules, laws or religion. It is faith that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5. It is faith that counts for righteousness, Romans 4:3. Religion is just the opposite of faith. Faith is of the Spirit. Religion is of the flesh.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
All through the Old Testament and into the New Testament God's people are those who live by faith.

Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him, but the just shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2:4)​

In the Hebrew, faith means to be true in the context of moral fidelity. But who defines the parameters of moral fidelity?

Paul was sent to do just that. Jesus said to him, "I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you to open their eyes in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me." (Acts 26:17-18)

What are sins? Do we get to decide what is sin or does God define sin?

Actually, the truth is that God defines sin. All we need to do is read his word as to his expectations.

You in effect say there are no commandments but Jesus said, "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." (John 14:21)

Why do you not love God? Why do you contradict Jesus Christ?

Nanja

"The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

Not by rules, laws or religion. It is faith that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5. It is faith that counts for righteousness, Romans 4:3. Religion is just the opposite of faith. Faith is of the Spirit. Religion is of the flesh.

But it's not our own faith of the flesh that counts for Righteousness, but Living by Faith is premised on God putting His Law of Faith in our inward parts Jer. 31:33; Rom. 3:27.

So it's not man's freewill, but all God's Work Phil. 2:13 in His chosen Elect Eph. 1:4-5; 1 Pet. 1:2; Titus 1:1!

That kind of Faith is Given by God; a Fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 when one is Born again John 3:7; Gal. 5:22!

Rom. 8:9b
Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

~~~~~

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
This old fallacy got old long time ago, separating 'religion' from 'belief'.

It was only ever idealized to justify one's own arbitrariness.

Robert Pate

Banned
Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him, but the just shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2:4)​

In the Hebrew, faith means to be true in the context of moral fidelity. But who defines the parameters of moral fidelity?

Paul was sent to do just that. Jesus said to him, "I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you to open their eyes in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me." (Acts 26:17-18)

What are sins? Do we get to decide what is sin or does God define sin?

Actually, the truth is that God defines sin. All we need to do is read his word as to his expectations.

You in effect say there are no commandments but Jesus said, "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." (John 14:21)

Why do you not love God? Why do you contradict Jesus Christ?

You keep the commandments by being "In Christ". Saving faith is always faith in the work and the person of Jesus Christ. Plus NOTHING.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You keep the commandments by being "In Christ". Saving faith is always faith in the work and the person of Jesus Christ. Plus NOTHING.

Yep, that's your mantra. Christ did it all for us and he will judge not by what we do and say but what he did.

I guess you really don't need God's word, just do as you please and you will receive your reward.

Robert Pate

Banned
But it's not our own faith of the flesh that counts for Righteousness, but Living by Faith is premised on God putting His Law of Faith in our inward parts Jer. 31:33; Rom. 3:27.

So it's not man's freewill, but all God's Work Phil. 2:13 in His chosen Elect Eph. 1:4-5; 1 Pet. 1:2; Titus 1:1!

That kind of Faith is Given by God; a Fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 when one is Born again John 3:7; Gal. 5:22!

Rom. 8:9b
Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

~~~~~

WRONG!

God doesn't make anyone believe.

We are all born with the ability to have faith, it is a natural human attribute.

Faith in Christ comes by hearing and believing the Gospel.

"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17. Which is the Gospel.

Robert Pate

Banned
Yep, that's your mantra. Christ did it all for us and he will judge not by what we do and say but what he did.

I guess you really don't need God's word, just do as you please and you will receive your reward.

All that belong to Christ are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 2:10. They are led by his Spirit.