Who shall believe for eternal life?

beloved57

Jn 17:2,20

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

I shall tell you who therefore shall believe on Christ #1 as many as the Father gave Him Jn 17:2 and as many as have been ordained to eternal life Acts 13:48

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

daqq

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

I shall tell you who therefore shall believe on Christ #1 as many as the Father gave Him Jn 17:2 and as many as have been ordained to eternal life Acts 13:48

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

It seems that your answers do not actually match your thread title question. There is an appointed time when a person believes unto life eternal and that appointed time is not when you first believed because it is unknown, (no man knows the day or the hour; only the Father knows).

According to the following passages all those who overcome receive the crown of life:

James 1:12 ASV
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he hath been approved, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to them that love him.

Revelation 2:10-11 ASV
10 Fear not the things which thou art about to suffer: behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life.
11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

So, according to the above statements, it appears from where I stand that one must go through a trial of testing, in an appointed time yet unknown, and your love must be proven true; and I suppose in that day, as Paul also says, you will have been approved, (and you will certainly know that you are not a castaway, [reprobate]). Therefore, I say, when you pass through the second death you will not be hurt coming up out of it, (if indeed you overcome in your appointed time), and all your sins will be washed away as you pass through the second death, (they are going to stay in "the lake" forever). :)

beloved57

It seems that your answers do not actually match your thread title question. There is an appointed time when a person believes unto life eternal and that appointed time is not when you first believed because it is unknown, (no man knows the day or the hour; only the Father knows).

According to the following passages all those who overcome receive the crown of life:

James 1:12 ASV
12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he hath been approved, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to them that love him.

Revelation 2:10-11 ASV
10 Fear not the things which thou art about to suffer: behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life.
11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

So, according to the above statements, it appears from where I stand that one must go through a trial of testing, in an appointed time yet unknown, and your love must be proven true; and I suppose in that day, as Paul also says, you will have been approved, (and you will certainly know that you are not a castaway, [reprobate]). Therefore, I say, when you pass through the second death you will not be hurt coming up out of it, (if indeed you overcome in your appointed time), and all your sins will be washed away as you pass through the second death, (they are going to stay in "the lake" forever). :)
Did you read and understand the points in the post? Be prepared to discuss them.

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

daqq

Did you read and understand the points in the post? Be prepared to discuss them.

Of course I read and understood what you posted; why do you suppose I said what I did and posted the scripture that I did? What I was attempting to say in trying to help is that you have not so fully "believed" as you might imagine; for there is an appointed time coming when you are to be tested and tried, and hopefully are found approved, for in that day you will either "believe" toward life or you will deny, and no one knows the day or the hour as the Master says. That is why Paul says the following:

Galatians 4:1-2 KJV
1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
2 But is under tutors and governors
until the time appointed of the father.

So it is like a BarMitzvah, the day when a babe or child becomes a son, a time appointed by the Father. When you first believed you became a like a babe in Messiah; but you are required to begin in the milk of the Word and continue in those teachings all through your childhood looking forward to that day when you become a son in the kingdom, (again, a day and hour which no man knows, only the Father knows). So even though you may be destined or preordained to be master of all, you are under "tutors", (prophets), and "governors" (Torah and writings such as Psalms which are written by kings and priests), until the time appointed of the Father when you will receive the Promise.

How long do you suppose it was between the time that father Abraham believed, and it was accounted to him for righteousness, until the time when he was tested in Genesis 22? It was at the very least twenty six years and that is at the very least. But what does the epistle of James have to say about that faith of Abraham? Father Abraham was ultimately justified by his works and deeds because belief is not just a mental assent or acceptance but a faithful trusting and walking out that belief. The righteousness of Abraham which was accounted to him when he first believed was not fulfilled until the day he was tested and PROVED his faith, which was at least twenty six years later because Ishmael was not even born yet when Abraham believed and it was counted to him as righteousness.

James 2:21-24 KJV
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

The righteousness that was accounted or "imputed" to Abraham was not fulfilled until Abraham was tested and proved his faithfulness in Gen 22. His faith was "perfected" by his deeds and his walk which acted out in his life what he truly believed at the first, (he first believed the Word of the Father who came to him in a vision, Gen 15:1, and it was that belief which was counted to him as righteousness or uprightness, Gen 15:6). Therefore, according to the epistle of James in what I have quoted herein above, your very own justification depends on you yourself faithfully acting out what you claim to believe, (the Word and what is written therein), for the scripture concerning Abraham, which said, "Abraham believed Elohim, and it was counted unto him for righteousness", was not actually fulfilled until the day in which father Abraham was tested and proved his faithfulness by walking out and doing what Elohim had commanded him to do; and that day did not come in his walk until some twenty six years later in his life.

"You see then how that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only!"

beloved57

Of course I read and understood what you posted; why do you suppose I said what I did and posted the scripture that I did? What I was attempting to say in trying to help is that you have not so fully "believed" as you might imagine; for there is an appointed time coming when you are to be tested and tried, and hopefully are found approved, for in that day you will either "believe" toward life or you will deny, and no one knows the day or the hour as the Master says. That is why Paul says the following:

Galatians 4:1-2 KJV
1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
2 But is under tutors and governors
until the time appointed of the father.

So it is like a BarMitzvah, the day when a babe or child becomes a son, a time appointed by the Father. When you first believed you became a like a babe in Messiah; but you are required to begin in the milk of the Word and continue in those teachings all through your childhood looking forward to that day when you become a son in the kingdom, (again, a day and hour which no man knows, only the Father knows). So even though you may be destined or preordained to be master of all, you are under "tutors", (prophets), and "governors" (Torah and writings such as Psalms which are written by kings and priests), until the time appointed of the Father when you will receive the Promise.

How long do you suppose it was between the time that father Abraham believed, and it was accounted to him for righteousness, until the time when he was tested in Genesis 22? It was at the very least twenty six years and that is at the very least. But what does the epistle of James have to say about that faith of Abraham? Father Abraham was ultimately justified by his works and deeds because belief is not just a mental assent or acceptance but a faithful trusting and walking out that belief. The righteousness of Abraham which was accounted to him when he first believed was not fulfilled until the day he was tested and PROVED his faith, which was at least twenty six years later because Ishmael was not even born yet when Abraham believed and it was counted to him as righteousness.

James 2:21-24 KJV
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

The righteousness that was accounted or "imputed" to Abraham was not fulfilled until Abraham was tested and proved his faithfulness in Gen 22. His faith was "perfected" by his deeds and his walk which acted out in his life what he truly believed at the first, (he first believed the Word of the Father who came to him in a vision, Gen 15:1, and it was that belief which was counted to him as righteousness or uprightness, Gen 15:6). Therefore, according to the epistle of James in what I have quoted herein above, your very own justification depends on you yourself faithfully acting out what you claim to believe, (the Word and what is written therein), for the scripture concerning Abraham, which said, "Abraham believed Elohim, and it was counted unto him for righteousness", was not actually fulfilled until the day in which father Abraham was tested and proved his faithfulness by walking out and doing what Elohim had commanded him to do; and that day did not come in his walk until some twenty six years later in his life.

"You see then how that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only!"
Okay, explain back to me my points I
!

Nanja

The ones the Father has given / chosen in Christ from Everlasting Eph. 1:4-5 to give Eternal Life to, are the same ones who shall Believe Acts 13:48: Christ's Sheep. They were ordained to Salvation, when in the counsels of the Everlasting Covenant, all the sins they would ever commit in time were imputed to their Mediator Head and Surety Heb. 7:22; Heb. 13:20 in their behalf Rom. 4:6-8. And so being Justified by His Blood Rev. 13:8; Rom. 5:9, they were already partakers of Eternal Salvation. So then in time, every one of these Sons of God shall be Born Again, Born of the Spirit, of Whom Believing / Faith is a fruit and gift Gal. 5:22; Eph. 2:8: Evidence of their Eternal Salvation, that they are a Sheep of Christ!

2 Tim. 1:9
Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began

But those outside of God's Elect or Sheep, shall remain unbelievers.

John 10:26
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

beloved57

The ones the Father has given / chosen in Christ from Everlasting Eph. 1:4-5 to give Eternal Life to, are the same ones who shall Believe Acts 13:48: Christ's Sheep. They were ordained to Salvation, when in the counsels of the Everlasting Covenant, all the sins they would ever commit in time were imputed to their Mediator Head and Surety Heb. 7:22; Heb. 13:20 in their behalf Rom. 4:6-8. And so being Justified by His Blood Rev. 13:8; Rom. 5:9, they were already partakers of Eternal Salvation. So then in time, every one of these Sons of God shall be Born Again, Born of the Spirit, of Whom Believing / Faith is a fruit and gift Gal. 5:22; Eph. 2:8: Evidence of their Eternal Salvation, that they are a Sheep of Christ!

2 Tim. 1:9
Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began

But those outside of God's Elect or Sheep, shall remain unbelievers.

John 10:26
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Outstanding! Thanks to God for you.