What’s wrong with the Catholic Church? Scalia’s funeral tells us

The funeral Mass for Justice Antonin Scalia this morning was beautiful, the homily (by the priest who is Scalia’s son) in some parts very uplifting, even thought-provoking. But I saw clearly (and not for the first time), that there is something seriously wrong going on in the Catholic Church.

There were two mistakes made, one probably accidental, but one was egregious.

1. A couple of times, there was mention of “distinguished” guests (VP Biden, clergy, etc). Why couldn’t something along the lines of the following have been added: “Of course, each one of you is distinguished in your own unique way”? I can hear the traditionalists (save Scalia) groaning. But seriously, this is a problem, and if it were only an isolated incident of showing favoritism, they would have cause to groan. But the Church habitually does this kind of thing, which can be construed as elitist, appears to show deference to the wealthy & prestigious over others.
  2. More serious is that none of the priests ever made the announcement before Holy Communion that neither non-Catholics nor Catholics with a mortal (non-confessed, sacramentally) sin on their souls can receive Communion.

That is egregious. The Church says that the consecrated Host is actually Jesus (“Unless you eat my Flesh and drink My Blood, you have no life in you”—Jn 6:27-70).

It should go without saying that Jesus does not want to go into sin-infested territory. :shocked:

Catholics are not required to believe everything the saints say without question, but one saint did say once that she could sometimes see Jesus in the hidden Host and that he would actually show a visible reluctance to being received by certain communicants

:(

Cruciform

The funeral Mass for Justice Antonin Scalia this morning was beautiful, the homily (by the priest who is Scalia’s son) in some parts very uplifting, even thought-provoking. But I saw clearly (and not for the first time), that there is something seriously wrong going on in the Catholic Church.

1. A couple of times, there was mention of “distinguished” guests (VP Biden, clergy, etc). Why couldn’t something along the lines of the following have been added: “Of course, each one of you is distinguished in your own unique way”? I can hear the traditionalists (save Scalia) groaning. But seriously, this is a problem, and if it were only an isolated incident of showing favoritism, they would have cause to groan. But the Church habitually does this kind of thing, which can be construed as elitist, appears to show deference to the wealthy & prestigious over others.
  2. More serious is that none of the priests ever made the announcement before Holy Communion that neither non-Catholics nor Catholics with a mortal (non-confessed, sacramentally) sin on their souls can receive Communion.

That is egregious. The Church says that the consecrated Host is actually Jesus (“Unless you eat my Flesh and drink My Blood, you have no life in you”—Jn 6:27-70).

It should go without saying that Jesus does not want to go into sin-infested territory. :shocked:

Catholics are not required to believe everything the saints say without question, but one saint did say once that she could sometimes see Jesus in the hidden Host and that he would actually show a visible reluctance to being received by certain communicants

I certainly agree with you regarding #2 above. This should always be made crystal clear. :up:

Cruciform

u think its OK to exclude the poor and non-prestigious?
I see no problem with, as Scripture says, "giving honor to whom honor is due." In the context of the state funeral of a public figure, this would include Scalia's colleagues in law and politics, as well as any other public individuals with whom he might have been acquainted or associated.

KingdomRose

:(

Um, isn't it rather obvious, considering the Church's history, that it has been mainly concerned with buddying up to influential people? Like during WWII, it signed a Concordat with the Nazis & kept in Hitler's favor all during the conflict, even giving him a Requiem Mass after the war.

The Vatican + Politics has been the equation for 2,000 years. The image of the Whore on the back of the Beast in Revelation (Apocalypse) tells the tale. (The Beast pictures all of the governments of the world, and the Whore pictures all of false religion.)

If interested, look up info about "Babylon the Great" on www.jw.org

KingdomRose

I see no problem with, as Scripture says, "giving honor to whom honor is due." In the context of the state funeral of a public figure, this would include Scalia's colleagues in law and politics, as well as any other public individuals with whom he might have been acquainted or associated.

(Yeesh.) I immediately thought of Christ's viewpoint on including the poor. The principle is there, even though it's talking about a dinner:

"When thou givest a dinner or a supper, do not invite thy friends, or thy brethren, or thy relatives, or thy rich neighbors, lest perhaps they also invite thee in return, and a recompense be made to thee. But when thou givest a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; and blessed shalt thou be, because they have nothing to repay thee with; for thou shalt be repaid at the resurrection of the just." (Luke 14:12-14, New Catholic Edition)

Cruciform

(Yeesh.) I immediately thought of Christ's viewpoint on including the poor. The principle is there, even though it's talking about a dinner:

"When thou givest a dinner or a supper, do not invite thy friends, or thy brethren, or thy relatives, or thy rich neighbors, lest perhaps they also invite thee in return, and a recompense be made to thee. But when thou givest a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; and blessed shalt thou be, because they have nothing to repay thee with; for thou shalt be repaid at the resurrection of the just." (Luke 14:12-14, New Catholic Edition)
Great for a dinner party. Not so great when applied to a state funeral. :nono:

brewmama

The principle is the same. Include the poor and the not-so-important.

Just curious, how does just mentioning that there are distinguished guests there in any way exclude the poor or not-so-important? Are you saying they weren't allowed in? Or what?