Was a servant of sin !

beloved57

Rom 6:16-17

Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

What does Paul mean here that these believers once had been servants of sin ? It simply means they were unbelievers, and believed an incorrect doctrine, a false way of salvation. This is how we all are by nature,servants of sin. This doesnt mean we were irreligious, or immoral, but merely believed in a false way of salvation. Jesus implied that some of the most religious, and moral people of His day were merely servants of sin Jn 8:33-34

They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Jesus here isnt speaking about these people being harlots, whoremongers, drunkards, but a persistence in going about to establish their own righteousness as per Rom 10:3

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

And that constituted them servants of sin. Its simply unbelief. Its a doctrinal unbelief, the pure Doctrine Of Christ. Doctrinal unbelief of Christ as it sets forth truthfully His Person and Work for His Sheep, is being a servant of sin. It doesnt matter what other doctrinal beliefs you have, nor how sincere we may be therein, or zealous of, if its not Christ's Doctrine 2 Jn 1:9 its being a servant to sin !

beloved57

[h=2]Was a servant of sin !2[/h]
Now that its established I trust that by nature the believer before conversion is the servant/slave of sin which is doctrinal unbelief, The Believer must Thank God through Christ, that there came a time when they obeyed from the heart the Doctrine of Christ Rom 6:17,18

17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Its a lot of truth here to be pondered. The obeying from the heart that form of doctrine is the result of being made free from sin ! Its only by the Liberating Power of Christ that the Elect are made free. Remember Jesus said to those jews in n 8:33-34 ? He follows that by this declaration Jn 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Christ by His Person and Work for His People sets them or makes them Free from the servitude of sin. Thats why Hes Jesus, and Saves His People [Church] from their sins Matt 1:21. What kinda Saviour would He be if He didnt save His People for whom He died from the servitude of sin and unbelief ?

The words made free in Rom 6:18 are in greek the word eleutheroō and means:

to make free, set at liberty: from the dominion of sin

In fact its the same word Jesus uses in Jn 8:32,36

See being a servant of sin and under the dominion of sin are the same, and thats the case when were in unbelief and doctrinal error !

glorydaz

[h=2]Was a servant of sin !2[/h]
Now that its established I trust that by nature the believer before conversion is the servant/slave of sin which is doctrinal unbelief, The Believer must Thank God through Christ, that there came a time when they obeyed from the heart the Doctrine of Christ Rom 6:17,18

17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Its a lot of truth here to be pondered. The obeying from the heart that form of doctrine is the result of being made free from sin ! Its only by the Liberating Power of Christ that the Elect are made free. Remember Jesus said to those jews in n 8:33-34 ? He follows that by this declaration Jn 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Christ by His Person and Work for His People sets them or makes them Free from the servitude of sin. Thats why Hes Jesus, and Saves His People [Church] from their sins Matt 1:21. What kinda Saviour would He be if He didnt save His People for whom He died from the servitude of sin and unbelief ?

The words made free in Rom 6:18 are in greek the word eleutheroō and means:

to make free, set at liberty: from the dominion of sin

In fact its the same word Jesus uses in Jn 8:32,36

See being a servant of sin and under the dominion of sin are the same, and thats the case when were in unbelief and doctrinal error !

Obeying that form of doctrine is believing the Gospel. That comes first.

beloved57

Was a servant of sin !3

Lets look now at Rom 6:17 more closely

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Notice who Paul says should be Thanked for these believers doctrinal obedience from the Heart. Not their freewill, but God is Thanked writes Paul for their obeying from the Heart.

Very few in these days apostacy understand that believing the right, correct doctrine of Christ is of Gods doing. For believing on Christ aright is the Work of God Jn 6:29

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Its God working in a individual to both will and to do of His Good Pleasure Phil 2:13

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Lets look at a few words in this scripture. First the word worketh. energeō:

1. to be operative, be at work, put forth power

1. to work for one, aid one

2. to effect

3. to display one's activity, show one's self operative

It denotes God being operative, putting forth His Almighty Power, It means God is effecting

Its the same word Paul uses in Eph 1:19

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Here Paul teaches us, though its denied by freewillers, that believers believed in accordance with the working of Gods Power, simply put His Mighty Power effected or caused their believing ! Gods Power working effectually is given the credit for their believing ! This will take us back to our next point in Phil 2:13, and a important one it shall be !

beloved57

Was a servant of sin ! 4
The next word in Phil 2:13 we want to look at as it pertains to God working in us to believe correct doctrine, its the words to will

These are the words thelō:

1. to will, have in mind, intend

1. to be resolved or determined, to purpose

2. to desire, to wish

It denotes Gods effectual involvement in the mind, will, volition

This supports the Truth that mans will is not free from the effectual working of Gods Power and is even made or caused to be willing submitted to the Purpose of God. One of my favorite verses that speaks to this is Prov 19:21

There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand.

Many plans are in a man’s mind, But it is the Lord’s purpose for him that will stand (be carried out).AMP

Gods Power causes man to have a willing submission to fulfilling Gods Purpose !

beloved57

Was a servant of sin ! 5

The last word we will look at in Phil 2:13 is the word DO, to will and to do !

Gods working effects the actual doing of His Good pleasure. The word do is actually the same word for working earlier in the verse energeō, Gods work effects the actual doing of Gods good pleasure or will. This is consistent with the blessings of the New Covenant in Christ's Blood Ezk 36:27
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

See that Cause and do them !

Gods Spirit in us is the efficient cause of doing of Gods Good Pleasure.

beloved57

Was a servant of sin ! 6

Now lets look back at Rom 6:17 and see once again why God is to be thanked fr one believing from their heart that form of doctrine, which is none other than the Gospel of Christ

But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

First it must be emphasized that any kind of Spiritual Obedience to the things of God, cannot be done by the natural man, who is naturally carnal and in the flesh Rom 8:7-8

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

That word subject hupotassó means to:

to place or rank under, to subject, mid. to obey,

hypotássō (from 5259 /hypó, "under" and 5021 /tássō, "arrange") – properly, "under God's arrangement," i.e. submitting to the Lord (His plan).

to subject oneself, to obey; to submit to one's control; to yield to one's admonition or advice

Now the word for obeyed in Rom 6:17 is hupakouó which means:

to hearken to a command, i. e. to obey, be obedient unto, submit to, Its a obedience under the Gospel Authority such as Rom 10:16

But they have not allobeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Believing the report of the Gospel is an obedience, which man naturally cannot do. Its a submitting to the righteousness of God as the jews failed to do here Rom 10:13

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have notsubmitted themselves unto the righteousness of God

This of course is the Righteousness of God made known in the doctrine of the Gospel Rom 1:16-17

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Now the word submitted in Rom 10:3 is the same word for subject in Rom 8:7

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So this was to reiterate that the Obedience from the Heart to the doctrine of the Gospel wasnt from and cannot be from the natural carnal mind of man !

beloved57

Was a servant of sin ! 7

Rom 6:17 says God be thanked that having been a servant of sin, in bondage and slavery to it, you have now obeyed that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Now understand something, its said by greek scholars, that in the original it should read:

But thank God that, although you used to be slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching to which you were handed over,

The point being made is that the one had been handed over to the doctrine in order to obey it from the heart. The connotation is that God Sovereignly brings the regenerated heart under the preaching of the Gospel in order for to bring about their obedience to it, and it specifically. The sound words of the Gospel 2 Tim 1:13

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

And so this is even more reason to Thank God for ones Gospel obedience from the Heart because God out of Divine Faithfulness brings you up under the Preaching of the Gospel, and by the Power of the Spirit causes us to believe it, obey it, submit to it and the righteousness of God it reveals to us

Nanja

Was a servant of sin ! 7

Rom 6:17 says God be thanked that having been a servant of sin, in bondage and slavery to it, you have now obeyed that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Now understand something, its said by greek scholars, that in the original it should read:

But thank God that, although you used to be slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching to which you were handed over,

The point being made is that the one had been handed over to the doctrine in order to obey it from the heart. The connotation is that God Sovereignly brings the regenerated heart under the preaching of the Gospel in order for to bring about their obedience to it, and it specifically. The sound words of the Gospel 2 Tim 1:13

Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

And so this is even more reason to Thank God for ones Gospel obedience from the Heart because God out of Divine Faithfulness brings you up under the Preaching of the Gospel, and by the Power of the Spirit causes us to believe it, obey it, submit to it and the righteousness of God it reveals to us

Amen Brother !

2 Thes. 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

beloved57

Amen Brother !

2 Thes. 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Did I make myself clear to you ? It was a lot of information.

Nanja

Did I make myself clear to you ? It was a lot of information.

Of course, you always do ! I studied every part, comparing scripture with scripture.
God's Almighty Power causes the Believing of His Chosen ones, by the New Heart given us in New Birth, thus making us free from the servitude of sin. We are set free indeed John 8:36 !

beloved57

Of course, you always do ! I studied every part, comparing scripture with scripture.
God's Almighty Power causes the Believing of His Chosen ones, by the New Heart given us in New Birth, thus making us free from the servitude of sin. We are set free indeed John 8:36 !

Right on. Thank you very much for that confirmation !

Nanja

Right on. Thank you very much for that confirmation !

And I thank you for asking. I've been cherishing every bit of information that I have been intensively studying in your threads for over 15 years now. So the way I see it, you have the right to question my responses whenever you see fit to do so. ☺

beloved57

And I thank you for asking. I've been cherishing every bit of information that I have been intensively studying in your threads for over 15 years now. So the way I see it, you have the right to question my responses whenever you see fit to do so. ☺
It is a Blessing of God to hear that Sister#

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk