Those "In Christ" Befoe Paul

Jerry Shugart

In the following verse Paul speaks of Christians who were "in Christ" Before he was:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me"
(Ro.16:7).​

It is not difficult to understand that when Paul uses the words "in Christ" he is referring to being in the Body of Christ, as witnessed what he said here:

"For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Ro.12:4-5).​

We can also know that when Paul speaks of others being "in Christ" the term "in Christ" always means the same thing:

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new"
(2 Cor.5:16-17).​

Of course the "new creation" is the New Man, the Body of Christ which Paul speaks of here:

"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby" (Eph.2:14-16).​

Cornelius Stam, the founder of the Berean Bible Society, wrote the following about the words "new creation":

"This 'new creation,' this 'one new man,' this 'joint body,' formed of Jews and Gentiles made one in Christ, is called 'His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all' (Eph. 1:23)" (Stam, True Spirituality [Berean Literature Foundation, 1984], 48,50).​

Therefore, we can understand that there is evidence that other Christians were baptized into the Body of Christ before Paul was and those Christians had to be Jewish believers such as the Twelve. Therefore, it is plain that the Hebrew epistles were written to Christians who were members of the Body of Christ.

Right Divider

Body part
Therefore, it is plain that the Hebrew epistles were written to Christians who were members of the Body of Christ.
Jas 1:1 KJV James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

1Pe 2:9 KJV But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The circumcision apostles did not have their calling revoked.

The body of Christ does not have tribes and is not a nation.

Jerry Shugart

1Pe 2:9 KJV But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The verses you quote cannot possibly be speaking of the nation of Israel because when the Hebrew epistles were written the nation of Israel had been temporarily set aside. Those epistles were written during the present dispensation and were received by those living in the present dispensation but you say that the doctrine is for a future dispensation.

If you are right then those who wrote those epistles just forgot to tell them the most important thing about what they were writing--that the doctrine contained is not for now but for later!

Do you not think that those who received those epistles should have been told something about that?
In order to believe your entire scheme we must throw our reason to the wind and trick our minds into believing that all of the authors just forgot to mention that fact.

If you really want to know if those epistles were written to those in the Body of Christ then let's look at the verses which precedes the one you quoted:

"Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded" (1 Pet.2:5-6).​

Here Paul speaks of that same chief cornerstone:

"And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit"
(Eph.2:16-20).​

If we are to believe your ideas concerning the Hebrew epistles we must believe that even though they were written during the present dispensation and received by those living in the present dispensation yet they were for a future dispensation--and all of the authors just forgot to tell them that!

way 2 go

We can also know that when Paul speaks of others being "in Christ" the term "in Christ" always means the same thing:

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new"
(2 Cor.5:16-17).​

in Christ just means in Christ.

1Pe_5:14 Greet one another with the kiss of love. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jas 1:1 KJV James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

The body of Christ does not have tribes and is not a nation.

"So Jesus said to them, 'Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'" (Matthew 19:28)

"And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me, that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” (Luke 22:28-30)

A nation may or may not have a king. Christ is King of kings and Lord of lords.

The lords are the body of the King.