There are things for which there is no law. The Law is against things that are bad.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are things for which there is no law. They are good.

The Law is against things that are bad.

I do not understand why anyone would be against God's Law.

Do you know what against such things there is no law is about? Do you know where to find it? It is in the Bible. Do you know where? Do you know what is being talked about there?

Do you know what good is?

Do you know that the Law is good?

Are you for God's Law?

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are things for which there is no law.
Against such things there is no law, against good things. I am hoping that what I said here that I am quoting here, the wording, is not understood, though there is the potential that it may be, as saying that there are things that are not good that are not spoken against by the Law. Creating a new law or extending our understanding of the Torah to be against things that would be perceived as new evils is probably a good thing, though even this would be or is speaking about what already is maybe with a new twist. God's Law is a standard. A person cannot escape God's Law.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
[h=1] Matthew 22:35-40New International Version (NIV)[/h] 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Does the Law include instruction for everything that we should and can do right and good?

Lon

Does the Law include instruction for everything that we should and can do right and good?
Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Cabinet just posted it :)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Is understanding God's Law different from understanding the fruit of the Spirit? Perhaps the things against which there is no law are in keeping with God's Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
[h=1] Matthew 22:35-40New International Version (NIV)[/h] 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I saw your post. Lon has posted similarly. Can you comment on how this individual was a teacher of the law (edit- expert in the law)? Do you see these commandments as in the Law and that all of the Law falls under or involves these two commandments?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I saw your post. Lon has posted similarly. Can you comment on how this individual was a teacher of the law (edit- expert in the law)? Do you see these commandments as in the Law and that all of the Law falls under or involves these two commandments?
Well, Jesus is the Son of God sent to redeem us to God. He is the Messiah and, therefore, has the ultimate teaching authority if you will. Jesus came and sealed a New Covenant between God and men with His death on the cross. That act fulfilled all of the Mosaic laws and marked the end of the Old Covenant. We now live under the New Covenant and the two commandments that Jesus left for us encompass all that we need know. We are no longer judged under the Mosaic law nor even the 10 Commandments. That doesn't mean that we are free to ignore them. The law no longer sits in judgement of us but it is our teacher teaching us to live a life pleasing to God.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Is understanding God's Law different from understanding the fruit of the Spirit? Perhaps the things against which there is no law are in keeping with God's Law.

The law does not give rise to the fruits of the spirit.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well, Jesus is the Son of God sent to redeem us to God. He is the Messiah and, therefore, has the ultimate teaching authority if you will. Jesus came and sealed a New Covenant between God and men with His death on the cross. That act fulfilled all of the Mosaic laws and marked the end of the Old Covenant. We now live under the New Covenant and the two commandments that Jesus left for us encompass all that we need know. We are no longer judged under the Mosaic law nor even the 10 Commandments. That doesn't mean that we are free to ignore them. The law no longer sits in judgement of us but it is our teacher teaching us to live a life pleasing to God.
No. You are incorrect. We were not left with two commandments.
The law does not give rise to the fruits of the spirit.
What do you mean by the fruits of the spirit? I do know about the fruit of the Spirit. Against such things there is no law.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No. You are incorrect. We were not left with two commandments.
Yes, we are. See Galatians 3. (I posted it in your other thread)

What do you mean by the fruits of the spirit? I do know about the fruit of the Spirit. Against such things there is no law.
See my signature. The law does not give rise to these fruits because laws, whether they be man made or God given, can only define what is wrong and proscribe punishment. That is it. The fruits of the spirit are manifest in those who are not under God's law but are indwelt with the Spirit and Love of God. Such people are not concerned about living under the law, they are concerned with loving God and loving (serving) their neighbors.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, we are. See Galatians 3. (I posted it in your other thread)

See my signature. The law does not give rise to these fruits because laws, whether they be man made or God given, can only define what is wrong and proscribe punishment. That is it. The fruits of the spirit are manifest in those who are not under God's law but are indwelt with the Spirit and Love of God. Such people are not concerned about living under the law, they are concerned with loving God and loving (serving) their neighbors.

We have been commanded in the Law to love God and our neighbor as ourself. Do you believe that you are to love God and love your neighbor? If so, how and why? Why do you observe these two commandments and how do you observe them?

There are commandments about what not to do. There are commandments about what to do. Both involve obedience. Obedience involves what we do. We obey. Even God's commandments not to do certain things.

Shalom.

Jacob