The "Words of Men" Canard

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not a day passes that some enthusiastic anti-Calvinist lays the charge that we Reformed are followers of the words of men, especially John Calvin.

It is quite simple for me. As do all Reformed, I hold Scripture to be the
norming norm in all that I do, think, or say. Scripture is my sole rule of faith. I engage Scripture daily and am changed by it. I also am deeply appreciative of the old paths walked by those that have come before us whose words and arguments have survived the test of time. To assume the old saints have nothing to say to us is chronological snobbery. I take seriously the command of Scripture to take every word captive for the glory of God. That means every word written on topics relevant, whether I agree with what is written or not, for in them are potential nuggets of wisdom that I would be foolish to ignore.

Calvin, Turretin, Beza, Augustine, Hodge, Wesley, Bavinck, Gill, Shedd, and all the others are but mortal and fallen men, saved by the grace of God alone. That some of these men describe a system of beliefs taken from faithful summaries of what Scripture teaches is a gift from God that should not be overlooked. God has gifted some with teaching and exhortation abilities. Why should we deny ourselves of those so gifted? For those that do so, one wonders why he or she even bothers to engage in internet discussions on matters of the faith, for they are participating and often benefiting from the very same "words of men" that they would decry about to others, especially Calvinists, in their feigned self-righteousness.

So, no, Calvin is not my regula fidei. Sadly, such a charge is common among the anti-Calvinists, most of whom overlook their own implied allegiance to one Jakob Hermanszoon. Odd, that is. ;)

AMR