The word religion in the Bible

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I was wrong to say to someone somewhere at sometime that the only reference to religion in the Bible is this verse.

James 1:27 NASB - Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Here are the scripture verses that have the word religion in them.

Acts 25:19 NASB - but they simply had some points of disagreement with him about their own religion and about a dead man, Jesus, whom Paul asserted to be alive.

Acts 26:5 NASB - since they have known about me for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect of our religion.

Colossians 2:23 NASB - These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

James 1:26 NASB - If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

James 1:27 NASB - Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

James 1:27 says pure and undefiled religion and describes it.

Acts 26:5 NASB - since they have known about me for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect of our religion.

The word Judaism is found in the following verses.

Galatians 1:13 NASB - For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it;

Galatians 1:14 NASB - and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions.

Here are references to followers of the Way.

Acts 9:2 NLT - He requested letters addressed to the synagogues in Damascus, asking for their cooperation in the arrest of any followers of the Way he found there. He wanted to bring them--both men and women--back to Jerusalem in chains.

Acts 22:4 NLT - And I persecuted the followers of the Way, hounding some to death, arresting both men and women and throwing them in prison.

Or, the Way.

Acts 9:2 NASB - and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

Acts 22:4 NASB - "I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons,

Acts 24:14 NASB - "But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets;

The word Christian is found in the Bible.

Acts 26:28 NASB - Agrippa replied to Paul, "In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian."

1 Peter 4:16 NASB - but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name.

Here is the word Christians.

Acts 11:26 NASB - 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

The word Christianity is not found in the Bible.

Yeshua is the Messiah. Jesus is the Christ.

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Robert Pate

Banned
Here is the correct definition for the word "religion".

RELIGION: Man's preoccupation with his own spirituality, who is a sinner.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I was wrong to say to someone somewhere at sometime that the only reference to religion in the Bible is this verse.

Here are the scripture verses that have the word religion in them.

Acts 25:19 NASB - but they simply had some points of disagreement with him about their own religion and about a dead man, Jesus, whom Paul asserted to be alive.

Colossians 2:23 NASB - These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

James 1:26 NASB - If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

James 1:27 says pure and undefiled religion and describes it.

Read each of those verses substituting "paganism" for "religion."

"Judaism" and "Christianity" or "the Way" or "the Church" are two types of "paganism."

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The word religion doesn't apply to any particular belief structure. What robert is referencing is the established churches of many different beliefs. At least that's what I am taking from it.
What Robert means by "religion," is a system or school of theological thought. E.g. Calvinism.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Read each of those verses substituting "paganism" for "religion."

"Judaism" and "Christianity" or "the Way" or "the Church" are two types of "paganism."
No.

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No.

And I agree with you. Judaism at the time of Christ was the one true "paganism" or religion, and then He, the Son of God, of Whom He Himself says, " Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? "

In what way is that blasphemy except that He meant something very important when He said, " I and my Father are one. " He was laying down just one thing about the Trinity, but it is sure and definite.

He said " I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it "

He said it to Peter, but it doesn't matter to whom He said it---He is the One of Whom it is said, " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men, " and, " He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not, " and, " And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. "

Given all this. Given all this, then He is a liar and a fraud if the gates of hell ever prevail against His Church, and God strike Him dead, if the gates of hell ever prevail against His Church.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And I agree with you. Judaism at the time of Christ was the one true "paganism" or religion, and then He, the Son of God, of Whom He Himself says, " Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? "

In what way is that blasphemy except that He meant something very important when He said, " I and my Father are one. " He was laying down just one thing about the Trinity, but it is sure and definite.

He said " I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it "

He said it to Peter, but it doesn't matter to whom He said it---He is the One of Whom it is said, " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men, " and, " He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not, " and, " And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. "

Given all this. Given all this, then He is a liar and a fraud if the gates of hell ever prevail against His Church, and God strike Him dead, if the gates of hell ever prevail against His Church.
No.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You do not understand. Do you know how much a mountain weighs? A lot. A lot more than you might guess. I myself have lifted around 400 lbs, and there are people who can lift more than three times as much, and a mountain is way way heavier than that. The Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God, " the only begotten of the Father " said, " verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. "

Do you think that He could " say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place," "and it shall remove?"

" What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him! "

Do you believe that?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You do not understand. Do you know how much a mountain weighs? A lot. A lot more than you might guess. I myself have lifted around 400 lbs, and there are people who can lift more than three times as much, and a mountain is way way heavier than that. The Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God, " the only begotten of the Father " said, " verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. "

Do you think that He could " say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place," "and it shall remove?"

" What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him! "

Do you believe that?
Can you reference what you are quoting?