The Ten Commandments

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This week's Torah portion includes the Ten Commandments. Shemot (Exodus) 20:1-14.

EXODUS CHAPTER 20

1 And God spoke all these words saying:

2 I am the LORD thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto, thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; 6 and showing mercy unto the thousandth p. 89 generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto the LORD thy God, in it thou shalt not do any manner of work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; 11 for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested on the seventh day; wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not murder.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

14 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Galatians 3:23
2060 The gift of the commandments and of the Law is part of the covenant God sealed with his own. In Exodus, the revelation of the "ten words" is granted between the proposal of the covenant and its conclusion---after the people had committed themselves to "do" all that the Lord had said, and to "obey" it (Ex24:7). The Decalogue is never handed on without first recalling the covenant ("The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb." (Dt5:2)).​
I thank Jesus for the Holy See. :)

keypurr

Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Bradley D

I believe if a Christian practices the two Great Commandments of Love God and Love Neighbor. They will be living the Ten Commandments.

keypurr

I believe if a Christian practices the two Great Commandments of Love God and Love Neighbor. They will be living the Ten Commandments.

Does the Lord disagree with you?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Bradley D

Does the Lord disagree with you?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Explain the two Great Commandments.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All that I can say is... "Lord be merciful to me a sinner".

And to those who had breath in their nostrils and rejected the DBR for their salvation he will say no to that mercy.

45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust.

I was obedient some of the time.

RBBI

Just throwing this out there for whoever.....part of them deal with man's relationship to man, the rest with man's relationship to HaShem. They are condensed therefore into the famous 2 "stones" in this way. A priest whose stone or stones were broken were unable to minister.

Another thought: since He spoke everything into being, and these were spoken by Him, they were not so much as a list of do's and don'ts, but rather Him declaring from the beginning the ending as it regards the finished work in us when He is done. Read them in the mindset of Him declaring what we will or won't do. In short, you might say HaShem "prophesied". Peace

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Anybody can say they love God and neighbor, talk is cheap.

The Ten define what God means by love and his definition overrides anyone's personal definition if there is a difference.

Interplanner

The 10 Commands/Words come down to 1: don't steal. Theft in all its varieties is a violation of a universe which belongs to God, who has certain features and properties, as does His creation.

Bradley D

Anybody can say they love God and neighbor, talk is cheap.

The Ten define what God means by love and his definition overrides anyone's personal definition if there is a difference.

That is correct talk is cheap. "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead" (James 2:26).

keypurr

Explain the two Great Commandments.

If you love God you will do his will. Christ came to magnify the Ten into the hearts of men. If you break one, you break them all, for they are really one. Most churches do not teach the commandments for they upset the traditional apple cart.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The commandments form a hedge around holy ground on which we stand. Stay within the boundary.