The old covenant, the new covenant, and salvation. A Christian view.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How is a person saved? Is it the same with the old covenant as with the new covenant? I do not think that the only people in the Bible that are saved are new covenant believers. But, am I correct? Is it true that throughout history all people who are without the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are not saved?

What I know is that from Romans 8:9 I can conclude that those who have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are saved. The Holy Spirit dwells in believers by faith. We know that salvation is by grace through faith from Ephesians 2:8-9. The question may have to do with whether or not New Testament believers are sealed by the Holy Spirit, permanently indwelt, and therefore eternally secure. But it is also about if Old Testament believers were saved the same way. So are people saved any different in the new covenant as compared with the old covenant?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What I know is that from Romans 8:9 I can conclude that those who have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are saved.

​​Then he remembered the days of old, ​​Moses and his people saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea w​ith the shepherd of His flock? ​​Where is He who put His Holy Spirit within them?" (Isaiah 63:11 NKJV)​

iamaberean

How is a person saved? Is it the same with the old covenant as with the new covenant? I do not think that the only people in the Bible that are saved are new covenant believers. But, am I correct? Is it true that throughout history all people who are without the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are not saved?

What I know is that from Romans 8:9 I can conclude that those who have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are saved. The Holy Spirit dwells in believers by faith. We know that salvation is by grace through faith from Ephesians 2:8-9. The question may have to do with whether or not New Testament believers are sealed by the Holy Spirit, permanently indwelt, and therefore eternally secure. But it is also about if Old Testament believers were saved the same way. So are people saved any different in the new covenant as compared with the old covenant?

These are the resurrections:

1.From the time Jesus walked approximately 4 years, all of those that died in those years were resurrected immediately.
Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

2. From the time Peter preached to the Jews and later the Gentiles, the keys to the kingdom, they and all Christians forever will go directly to heaven.

3. In 70 AD all those that lived prior to Jesus were called up from their graves for judgment.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Salvation: Scriptures about the Holy Spirit

What is the role of the Holy Spirit in salvation? Have all who have ever been saved had the Holy Spirit dwelling in them?

John 7:39 NASB - 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
John 20:22 NASB - 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
Romans 8:9 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Here are some verses I have searched for, organized alphabetically.

Anointed With
Acts 10:38 NASB - 38 "You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.

Baptize With
Matthew 3:11 NASB - 11 "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Mark 1:8 NASB - 8 "I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."
Luke 3:16 NASB - 16 John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Acts 1:5 NASB - 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
Acts 2:38 NASB - 38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 10:47 NASB - 47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
Acts 11:16 NASB - 16 "And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'
1 Corinthians 12:13 NASB - 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Baptizing In
Matthew 28:19 NASB - 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Baptizes In
John 1:33 NASB - 33 "I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.'

Came On
2 Chronicles 15:1 NASB - 1 Now the Spirit of God came on Azariah the son of Oded,
2 Chronicles 24:20 NASB - 20 Then the Spirit of God came on Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest; and he stood above the people and said to them, "Thus God has said, 'Why do you transgress the commandments of the LORD and do not prosper? Because you have forsaken the LORD, He has also forsaken you.'"
Acts 19:6 NASB - 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.

Demonstration Of
1 Corinthians 2:4 NASB - 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,

Lighting On
Matthew 3:16 NASB - 16 After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,

Pour Out On
Proverbs 1:23 NASB - 23 "Turn to my reproof, Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.
Isaiah 44:3 NASB - 3 'For I will pour out water on the thirsty land And streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring And My blessing on your descendants;
Joel 2:28-29 NASB - 28 "It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. 29 "Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

Dwell In
James 4:5 NASB - 5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?

Dwells In
Romans 8:9, 11 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. ... 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
1 Corinthians 3:16 NASB - 16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
2 Timothy 1:14 NASB - 14 Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.

Filled With
Exodus 31:3 NASB - 3 "I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship,
Exodus 35:31 NASB - 31 "And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in all craftsmanship;
Micah 3:8 NASB - 8 On the other hand I am filled with power--With the Spirit of the LORD--And with justice and courage To make known to Jacob his rebellious act, Even to Israel his sin.
Luke 1:15, 41, 67 NASB - 15 "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb. ... 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. ... 67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying:
Acts 2:4 NASB - 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
Acts 4:8, 31 NASB - 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers and elders of the people, ... 31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.
Acts 9:17 NASB - 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
Acts 13:9, 52 NASB - 9 But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him, ... 52 And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18 NASB - 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

First Fruits Of
Romans 8:23 NASB - 23 And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.

Fruit Of
Galatians 5:22-23 NASB - 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Full Of
Luke 4:1 NASB - 1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness
Acts 6:3, 5 NASB - 3 "Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. ... 5 The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch.
Acts 7:55 NASB - 55 But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;
Acts 11:24 NASB - 24 for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord.

Gave
2 Corinthians 1:22 NASB - 22 who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.
Gave To
2 Corinthians 5:5 NASB - 5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.

Given
John 7:39 NASB - 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Acts 1:2 NASB - 2 until the day when He was taken up to heaven, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen.
Acts 5:32 NASB - 32 "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."
Romans 5:5 NASB - 5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
1 Corinthians 12:7-8 NASB - 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
1 John 3:24 NASB - 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
1 John 4:13 NASB - 13 By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

Gives
John 3:34 NASB - 34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.
1 Thessalonians 4:8 NASB - 8 So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you.

Giving
Acts 2:4 NASB - 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
Acts 15:8 NASB - 8 "And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us;

Have
Romans 8:9 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

In
Isaiah 63:11 NASB - 11 Then His people remembered the days of old, of Moses. Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit in the midst of them,
Joel 2:29 NASB - 29 "Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.
2 Corinthians 1:22 NASB - 22 who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.
2 Corinthians 6:6 NASB - 6 in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love,
Ephesians 3:16 NASB - 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,
Ephesians 4:3 NASB - 3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Genesis 41:38 NASB - 38 Then Pharaoh said to his servants, "Can we find a man like this, in whom is a divine spirit?"
Numbers 27:18 NASB - 18 So the LORD said to Moses, "Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him;

The Power Of
Luke 4:14 NASB - 14 And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district.
Romans 15:13, 19 NASB - 13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. ... 19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Receive Power
Acts 1:8 NASB - 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

Put Within
Ezekiel 37:14 NASB - 14 "I will put My Spirit within you and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken and done it," declares the LORD.'"

Receive
John 14:17 NASB - 17 that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
John 20:22 NASB - 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:38 NASB - 38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:15, 19 NASB - 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. ... 19 saying, "Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."
Acts 19:2 NASB - 2 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
Galatians 3:2, 14 NASB - 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? ... 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Received
Acts 2:33 NASB - 33 "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.
Acts 10:47 NASB - 47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
1 Corinthians 2:12 NASB - 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,

Strengthened With Power Through
Ephesians 3:16 NASB - 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,

Upon
Came Upon
Numbers 24:2 NASB - 2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe; and the Spirit of God came upon him.
Judges 3:10 NASB - 10 The Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel. When he went out to war, the LORD gave Cushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand, so that he prevailed over Cushan-rishathaim.
Judges 6:34 NASB - 34 So the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon; and he blew a trumpet, and the Abiezrites were called together to follow him.
Judges 11:29 NASB - 29 Now the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, so that he passed through Gilead and Manasseh; then he passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from Mizpah of Gilead he went on to the sons of Ammon.
Judges 14:6, 19 NASB - 6 The Spirit of the LORD came upon him mightily, so that he tore him as one tears a young goat though he had nothing in his hand; but he did not tell his father or mother what he had done. ... 19 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon him mightily, and he went down to Ashkelon and killed thirty of them and took their spoil and gave the changes of clothes to those who told the riddle. And his anger burned, and he went up to his father's house.
Judges 15:14 NASB - 14 When he came to Lehi, the Philistines shouted as they met him. And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him mightily so that the ropes that were on his arms were as flax that is burned with fire, and his bonds dropped from his hands.
1 Samuel 11:6 NASB - 6 Then the Spirit of God came upon Saul mightily when he heard these words, and he became very angry.
1 Samuel 16:13 NASB - 13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day forward. And Samuel arose and went to Ramah.
1 Samuel 19:20, 23 NASB - 20 Then Saul sent messengers to take David, but when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing and presiding over them, the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul; and they also prophesied. ... 23 He proceeded there to Naioth in Ramah; and the Spirit of God came upon him also, so that he went along prophesying continually until he came to Naioth in Ramah.
1 Chronicles 12:18 NASB - 18 Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, who was the chief of the thirty, and he said, "We are yours, O David, And with you, O son of Jesse! Peace, peace to you, And peace to him who helps you; Indeed, your God helps you! "Then David received them and made them captains of the band.
2 Chronicles 20:14 NASB - 14 Then in the midst of the assembly the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, the Levite of the sons of Asaph;
Descended Upon
Luke 3:22 NASB - 22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased."
Descending Upon
Mark 1:10 NASB - 10 Immediately coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opening, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him;
Fell Upon
Ezekiel 11:5 NASB - 5 Then the Spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and He said to me, "Say, 'Thus says the LORD, "So you think, house of Israel, for I know your thoughts.
Acts 10:44 NASB - 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.
Acts 11:15 NASB - 15 "And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning.
Has Come Upon
Acts 1:8 NASB - 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."
Is Upon
Numbers 11:17 NASB - 17 "Then I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit who is upon you, and will put Him upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you will not bear it all alone.
Isaiah 59:21 NASB - 21 "As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit which is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your offspring, nor from the mouth of your offspring's offspring," says the LORD, "from now and forever."
Isaiah 61:1 NASB - 1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners;
Luke 4:18 NASB - 18 "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
Placed Upon
Numbers 11:25 NASB - 25 Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do it again.
Poured Out Upon
Isaiah 32:15 NASB - 15 Until the Spirit is poured out upon us from on high, And the wilderness becomes a fertile field, And the fertile field is considered as a forest.
Ezekiel 39:29 NASB - 29 "I will not hide My face from them any longer, for I will have poured out My Spirit on the house of Israel," declares the Lord GOD.
Acts 10:45 NASB - 45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
Put Upon
Numbers 11:29 NASB - 29 But Moses said to him, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the LORD'S people were prophets, that the LORD would put His Spirit upon them!"
Isaiah 42:1 NASB - 1 "Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations.
Matthew 12:18 NASB - 18 "BEHOLD, MY SERVANT WHOM I HAVE CHOSEN;MY BELOVED IN WHOM MY SOUL is WELL-PLEASED;I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT UPON HIM,AND HE SHALL PROCLAIM JUSTICE TO THE GENTILES.
Put Within You
Ezekiel 36:26-27 NASB - 26 "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.
Remaining Upon
John 1:33 NASB - 33 "I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.'
Rested Upon
Numbers 11:25-26 NASB - 25 Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do it again. 26 But two men had remained in the camp; the name of one was Eldad and the name of the other Medad. And the Spirit rested upon them (now they were among those who had been registered, but had not gone out to the tent), and they prophesied in the camp.
Was Upon
Numbers 11:25 NASB - 25 Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do it again.
Ezekiel 37:1 NASB - 1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and He brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley; and it was full of bones.
Luke 2:25 NASB - 25 And there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
Will Come Upon
1 Samuel 10:6, 10 NASB - 6 "Then the Spirit of the LORD will come upon you mightily, and you shall prophesy with them and be changed into another man. ... 10 When they came to the hill there, behold, a group of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him mightily, so that he prophesied among them.
Luke 1:35 NASB - 35 The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
Remained Upon
John 1:32 NASB - 32 John testified saying, "I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him.
Remaining Upon
John 1:33 "I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.'

Within
1 Peter 1:11 NASB - 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Last edited: