The Law Of Christ

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]The Law Of Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Galatians 6:2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 13:34[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“A new command I give you:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 13:35[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Romans 13:8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Peter 1:22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Peter 3:8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 John 3:11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 John 3:23[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 John 4:7[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 John 4:11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 John 4:12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 John 1:5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

daqq

The Law Of Christ

Galatians 6:2
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

John 13:34
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

John 13:35
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.

1 Peter 1:22
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.

1 John 3:11
For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.

1 John 3:23
And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:11
Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

1 John 4:12
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

2 John 1:5
And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.

How is it that John 13:34 is a new command or commandment seeing that we are already commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves? Perhaps that statement is really dependent upon punctuation, eh?

John 13:34 W/H
34 εντολην καινην διδωμι υμιν ινα αγαπατε αλληλους
καθως ηγαπησα υμας ινα και υμεις αγαπατε αλληλους
34 A new command I give unto you; that you love one another
just as I have loved you, even so shall you love one another.

This is not just saying "love one another" but to love one another just as he had loved them.

alex16cole

Dear Daqq and CherubRam,

I agree Daqq. In discussion in our church that was what emerged as the concensus of what John 13:34 means (but looking at the Greek is better :)) Verses 31, 32 and 33 all refer to Jesus dying so it makes sense.

CherubRam: My eye was caught by this post because of your title: the "law of Christ". I always thought of Christ as getting rid of laws, but here he is seemingly imposing a new one. So I looked up occurrences of "nomos" (law) in the NT. You've got the idea of Christ fulfilling the law (Mt 5:17), Jesus actually obeying the law in some circumstances (Mt 8:4) and overturning it in others based on a "higher law" (Jn 7:23). This leads to the idea of love summing up the law (Mt 7:12, Mt 22:40). Overall it seems that there is still a "law" to be obeyed: but it is summed up and focussed in "love one another". We should focus on the most important aspects of the law (i.e. love) rather than the less important ones (Mt 23:23). And in John 13:34 Jesus takes this even higher: he actually defines what the highest example of love is: to die for someone else. He's always wanting to go higher. Hmmm. Cool.

I'm new to theology debate even though I supposedly studied it in Bible School. Any tips on staying God-centered as I enter these forums? Cheers, Alex

daqq

Dear Daqq and CherubRam,

I agree Daqq. In discussion in our church that was what emerged as the concensus of what John 13:34 means (but looking at the Greek is better :)) Verses 31, 32 and 33 all refer to Jesus dying so it makes sense.

CherubRam: My eye was caught by this post because of your title: the "law of Christ". I always thought of Christ as getting rid of laws, but here he is seemingly imposing a new one. So I looked up occurrences of "nomos" (law) in the NT. You've got the idea of Christ fulfilling the law (Mt 5:17), Jesus actually obeying the law in some circumstances (Mt 8:4) and overturning it in others based on a "higher law" (Jn 7:23). This leads to the idea of love summing up the law (Mt 7:12, Mt 22:40). Overall it seems that there is still a "law" to be obeyed: but it is summed up and focussed in "love one another". We should focus on the most important aspects of the law (i.e. love) rather than the less important ones (Mt 23:23). And in John 13:34 Jesus takes this even higher: he actually defines what the highest example of love is: to die for someone else. He's always wanting to go higher. Hmmm. Cool.

I'm new to theology debate even though I supposedly studied it in Bible School. Any tips on staying God-centered as I enter these forums? Cheers, Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the board! :)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Daqq and CherubRam,

Yes, stay with Gods word and ignore the critics.

CherubRam

How is it that John 13:34 is a new command or commandment seeing that we are already commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves? Perhaps that statement is really dependent upon punctuation, eh?

John 13:34 W/H
34 εντολην καινην διδωμι υμιν ινα αγαπατε αλληλους
καθως ηγαπησα υμας ινα και υμεις αγαπατε αλληλους
34 A new command I give unto you; that you love one another
just as I have loved you, even so shall you love one another.

This is not just saying "love one another" but to love one another just as he had loved them.
The command of God says love your neighbor. I think Christ want to reinforce our love for each other.

Leviticus 19:18
“‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself.

CherubRam

Dear Daqq and CherubRam,

Christ and the disciples preached the keeping of God's commands. It was the old priesthood, the sacrifices, and the festival laws that were done away with. The Sabbath command and the moral laws remain a part of the New Covenant.