The Anointing In the New Testament

northwye

The Anointing In the New Testament

"It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick." John 11: 2

Anointed is from Strong's Exhaustive Concordance number 218, aleipho, "to oil with perfume, anoint."

In Luke 7: 37, a woman is said to have anointed Christ's feet with the ointment. Anointed is again from 218, aleipho. In John 9: 6-11, a man who was blind says that Christ "made clay and anointed mine eyes," where anointed is from Strong's number 2025, epichrio, to smear over, anoint.

But in Luke 4: 18, in the quote from Isaiah 61: 1-2, Christ says " The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor..." Anointed here is from Strong's number 5548, chrió, "anoint, consecrate by anointing." Thayer's Greek Lexicon STRONGS NT 5548: ", χραίνω; properly, 'to touch with the hand', 'to besmear'); from Homer down; the Sept. for מָשַׁח; to anoint (on the persons who received anointing among the Hebrews, see χρῖσμα); in the N. T. only tropically, of God a. consecrating Jesus to the Messianic office, and furnishing him with powers necessary for its administration (see χρῖσμα): Luke 4:18 (after Isaiah 61:1)"

In Luke 4: 18 anointing means "consecrating Jesus to the Messianic office, and furnishing him with powers necessary for its administration."

Then in Acts 10: 38 Luke says "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Ho;y Ghost and with power...." Anointed is again from 5548, chrio, to consecrate by anointing - by the Holy Spirit.

II Corinthians 1: 21 says "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
21. Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22. Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."

Anointed is from 5548, chrio.

In II Corinthians 1: 21 Paul says God has "annointed us." Who is "us?" Thats a key point. Just as God annointed Jesus Christ to have the spiritual powers to carry out his mission, so God also annointed "us" with the implication that this annointing is also to give "us" the spiritual power to carry out a mission, to peach the Gospel, once delivered to the saints and not another Gospel (II Corinthians 11: 4, Galatians 1: 6-9).

The certain implication would be that he who preaches another Gospel and another Jesus is not really anointed by God to do so.

Finally, I John 2: 27 says "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

In I John 2: 27 anointing is from Strong's 5545, chrisma, "an anointing, From chrio; an unguent or smearing, i.e. (figuratively) the special endowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit -- anointing, unction." And, as in II Corinthians 1: 21, the anointing given to Jesus Christ in I John 2: 27 to preach the Gospel is given to "ye" or "you," with the implication that the anointing is given to provide the spiritual power and ability to preach the Gospel of Christ, the real one.

But here in John 2: 27 there is the link between the anointing to preach the real Gospel and truth, which I was searching for in scripture. That link has to be there - because Jesus Christ is himself Truth, " I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14: 6

The Truth is what annoints a person, inspires him and gives him the spiritual power to tell the truth. When you are anointed, you are anointed in the Truth.

"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." John 17: 17-19

"We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error." I John 4: 6

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12. That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." II Thessalonians 2: 10-12

After the falling away of II Thessalonians 2: 2-4, and the leavening of the kingdom of God in Luke 13: 21, there is the call of Revelation 18: 4 to "come out of her, my people," based on Revelation 18: 23, that "the light of a candle no longer shines in thee and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride are heard no more in thee." In Revelation 12: 14-17 at the time when the Dragon-Serpent is casting a flood out of his mouth to inspire the many False Prophets (Matthew 24: 11) to speak lies, the remnant have the testimony of Jesus Christ, and it is they who have the anointing to tell the truth.