Suffering, Persecution, Martyrdom, and the Discipline of God

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
The discipline of God,
My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. (Proverbs 3:11 [NIV])
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son." (Hebrews 12:6 [NIV])
Comes in the form of suffering, hence,
Endure suffering as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? (Hebrews 12:7 [BSB])
Whereupon all who are loved by God and chosen, will endure the suffering of persecution, hence,
Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, (2 Timothy 3:12 [ESV])
Which is why all who are called must not only believe, but also suffer as Jesus Christ suffered,
Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. (Romans 8:17 [NIV])
So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. (2 Timothy 1:8 [NIV])
While they were confirming the souls of the disciples and seeking that they would continue in the faith; and they were saying to them that it is necessary to enter The Kingdom of God by much suffering. (Acts 14:22 [ABPE])
For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, (Philippians 1:29 [ESV])
In which case, whoever does not suffer, is as an illegitimate child,
If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. (Hebrews 12:8 [ESV])
In which case, all who are chosen have participated in suffering in various ways,
They arrested them and, since it was already evening, put them in jail until morning. (Acts 4:3 [NLT])
and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. (Acts 5:40 [ESV)
He debated with some Greek-speaking Jews, but they tried to murder him. (Acts 9:29 [NLT])
dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. (Acts 7:58 [NIV])
He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword. (Acts 12:2 [NIV])
Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:23 [NIV])
Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were put to death by stoning; they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated-- the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground. (Hebrews 11:35-38 [NIV])
Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they slapped him in the face.
(John 19:1-2 [NIV])
And because suffering comes to those God loves is why Jesus Christ also told us to rejoice when we suffer,
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
(Matthew 5:10-12 [NIV])
And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. (Acts 5:41 [KJV])
Because whoever has been counted worthy to suffer will have a great reward. And so, whereupon all who are chosen have been appointed to suffer, many will also suffer martyrdom for the sake of Jesus Christ,
You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and some of you they will put to death. (Luke 21:16 [ESV])
Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. (Matthew 24:9 [ESV])
As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” (Romans 8:36 [ESV])