Some Misunderstand the term "biblicism"

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Just Me and My Bible proponent lays claim to biblicism not really understanding what the term even means.

Anti_Calvinists are Biblicists. That is they read the Bible. The complete Bible and nothing but the Bible. Not so with Calvinists who read a half dozen scriptures and the works of dead men.

All Reformed agree with biblicism, but not anti-historicist biblicism. Likewise, all Reformed agree with historicism, but not anti-biblicist historicism. The reformed tradition is historically biblicist and biblically historicist.

Biblicism = the Scriptures are the only infallible rule of faith and life so that all true knowledge is biblical.

Historicism = the interpretation of Scripture is historically conditioned and cannot neglect theological tradition.

Biblicism ens a se (being from itself) is a view that Scripture is the only infallible rule of faith and life so that all true knowledge is only contained therein. Historicism ens a se is the view that the interpretation of Scripture is historically conditioned and cannot neglect theological tradition.

The polarization of these two concepts will lead to a distortion in method if one were to gain the ascendancy over the other.

Your extremist view, biblicism ens a se, leads to the attitude you are demonstrating, that no true knowledge can be found by examining those that have come before us to discover (not invent) true knowledge that is in perfect harmony with our only infallible rule of faith and life, the Scripture.

Your biblicism is nothing but the attempt to understand Scripture by one’s self and by itself in isolation from the history of the church and in isolation from the communion of the saints. In this brand of biblicism the interpreter, not Scripture, becomes sovereign. Historically the one claiming to be a biblicist, although he or she may boast about their devotion to Scripture, is actually devoted to the supremacy of reason. As has been often said, “All heretics quote Scripture.” It is one thing to quote Scripture but it is another to read it well and to interpret it properly. We Reformed interpret Scripture in community, a community of the saints, not as Lone Ranger's with their "Just Me and My Bible!" self-righteous chants.

If you’re not reading the Scriptures with the church and in the communion of the saints you’re not following sola scriptura and the confessional Protestants.

AMR