"Rise Peter, Kill and Eat" unclean beasts and creeping things - Acts 10

beameup

And Peter saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
- Acts 10:11-16

Oops! Looks like the "Kosher Laws" are obsolete.

daqq

And Peter saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
- Acts 10:11-16

Oops! Looks like the "Kosher Laws" are obsolete.

Oops! Looks like you missed quite a bit of information and made a rush to judgment. For instance how long do you suppose this event happened after the crucifixion and resurrection of Messiah? How many years later was this event in Peter's life? There is no doubt it was years, and probably at least seven years or so. Why therefore does Peter say he has NEVER eaten anything common or unclean so long after Acts 2? Apparently Peter did not believe that the teachings of the Master in the Gospel accounts meant what people make them out to say today, "Oh yeah, everything that peeps or moves is now purged and declared free and clean for me to slay, eat, and kill: I can eat whatever will go out the draught so long as I can make it to the water-closet in time! or something like that...Marcus7:19N.I.B. version" :chuckle:

beameup

Oops! Looks like you missed quite a bit of information and made a rush to judgment. For instance how long do you suppose this event happened after the crucifixion and resurrection of Messiah? How many years later was this event in Peter's life?

I'm sure that it coincided with the salvation of Paul and the direct REVELATION by Jesus to Paul, of the NEW Gospel-- the Gospel of Grace to the Gentiles (as opposed to the Gospel of the Kingdom, which "the master" preached to Israel).

daqq

I'm sure that it coincided with the salvation of Paul and the direct REVELATION by Jesus to Paul, of the NEW Gospel-- the Gospel of Grace to the Gentiles (as opposed to the Gospel of the Kingdom, which "the master" preached to Israel).

Okay, so either way you admit that it was years later and therefore the Master taught nothing in the Gospel accounts that Peter would have construed as "abolishing the dietary laws" because up to this point Peter clearly, by his own words in the vision, says that he still had never eaten anything common or unclean. Now there is also the problem with understanding what the vision is really about, and that is not food at all in the natural physical sense because it clearly concerns Gentiles, specifically Cornelius and his household. Moreover the testimony of Cornelius was brought back to the brethren, apostles, and elders at Jerusalem, (Acts 11:1), and when they had partaken of the testimony they rejoiced, (Acts 11:18, they ate of that testimony, lol, for upright holy testimony is spiritual food). This also is the beginning of the problem with Peter and those of the circumcision, for those of the circumcision accused him of eating with the Gentiles, (Acts 11:2-3), which according to the handwritten ordinances and dogmas of the rulers of the Jews and the Sanhedrin was unlawful for a Jew to do. However Peter in his recounting of the story never says anything about eating literal physical food, no, but rather rehearses everything that had happened and offers up the testimony of Cornelius which they accept and rejoice over. It therefore is not about what you can kill and eat with your mouth to satisfy the belly and its lust for flesh but rather about fellowshiping and sharing testimony with Gentiles, (which was also forbidden by the rulers of the Jews). This is the opening up of a door to the Gentiles to be truly grafted into the commonwealth of the all Israel and olive tree of the Father.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

The Jews considered Gentiles to be unclean. Why?

Paul said, "I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself"
(Romans 14:14)

Rabies and other diseases don't make an animal unclean just like they don't make a person unclean.

At creation God pronounced everything to be very good.

God also said not everything is good for food.