PROBLEM PAULINE VERSES

DougE

There are some problematic verses in the Pauline epistles which can cause misinterpretation and loss of the assurance of eternal salvation.

No. 1

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God. The Corinthian saints were unrighteous but, they were washed, sanctified and justified (1 Corinthians 6:11) ; being justified, they should live accordingly. They were bought at a price and therefore, should glorify God (1 Corinthians 6:20).

No. 2

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Believers are not saved unto eternal life by keeping the gospel in memory, but by simply believing the gospel of our redemption in Christ (Romans 3:21-26 1 Corinthians 1:21).

The salvation in view in 1 Corinthians 15:2 is that of being saved from the error of false doctrine. There were some saying there was no resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:12); this was the error the Corinthians needed to be saved from. Their faith and work for the Lord was being undermined by this false teaching; Paul exhorted them to be stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:58).

No. 3

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The Galatians were being misled in reverting back to the law (Galatians 5:4) to overcome the works of the flesh (Galatians 5:19). Paul was admonishing them to walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16).

Paul was enumerating the works of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21 in contrast to the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 and charging them to crucify the flesh as being dead and freed from sin in Christ (Romans 6:6-7).

No. 4

Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Paul was imploring the Ephesians to walk in love (Ephesians 5:2) and to not let the sins of unrighteousness be named among them as becoming who they were, saints in Christ (Ephesians 5:3). Paul in Ephesians 5:7 was beseeching the saints not to be partakers with them who are named in Ephesians 5:5 but rather, to walk, or conduct their lives, as children of light (Ephesians 5:8), proving what is acceptable unto the Lord (Ephesians 5:10), and to have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (Ephesians 5:11) as named in Ephesians 5:5.

No. 5

Colossians 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Believers were being entreated to live worthy of the Lord, being fruitful in every good work (Colossians 1:10).

Paul wanted to present every man perfect in Christ Jesus (Colossians 1:28) according to the knowledge that we have hope according to the gospel (Colossians 1:5), that we have been translated into the kingdom of the Son (Colossians 1:13) and have redemption through the blood of Christ, even the forgiveness of sins (Colossians 1:14).

In Light of all this, we should strive to present ourselves unblameable and unreproveable in his sight by our lives and walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing (Colossians 1:10) out of thankfulness (Colossians 1:12).

DougE

What is the problem?

Many cite these verses to say these verses contradict salvation by grace through faith; they are saying we are not saved solely by believing the gospel and the redemption in Christ, but have to have our own works to inherit the kingdom or be saved

Bradley D

Many cite these verses to say these verses contradict salvation by grace through faith; they are saying we are not saved solely by believing the gospel and the redemption in Christ, but have to have our own works to inherit the kingdom or be saved

I had to have Faith to be saved. After I repented I believe I am expected to amend my life. Amendment of life means change. I believe a Christian life includes good works. I do not believe that anyone can have enough good works to get them into heaven. I am glad to belong to Christ and to work at living as He would have me live. I am blessed to live a Christian life. I do not believe I could work my way into heaven.

God's Truth

I had to have Faith to be saved. After I repented I believe I am expected to amend my life. Amendment of life means change. I believe a Christian life includes good works. I do not believe that anyone can have enough good works to get them into heaven. I am glad to belong to Christ and to work at living as He would have me live. I am blessed to live a Christian life. I do not believe I could work my way into heaven.

The good works of a Christian are having a forgiving heart and working out your salvation by not sinning.

That is how we eat Jesus and live through the Spirit and how the Spirit lives through us.

God's Truth

Jesus says plainly that the Spirit is given to those who do what he says to do to get saved.

God's Truth

Romans 16:26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him—

Look at this, Jesus is the eternal salvation for those who believe and obey him, not just believe him.

Hebrews 5:9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

James 1:22 Be doers of the word, and not hearers only. Otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves.

No such gospel as just believe. Being deceived isn't the way to get in.

DougE

Romans 16:26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him—

Look at this, Jesus is the eternal salvation for those who believe and obey him, not just believe him.

Hebrews 5:9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

James 1:22 Be doers of the word, and not hearers only. Otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves.

No such gospel as just believe. Being deceived isn't the way to get in.

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

God's Truth

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

You have to believe that you must obey this man Jesus.

No such thing as believe and nothing else do.

That is called faith alone and it is DEAD.

God's Truth

DougE

James SAYS faith alone CANNOT SAVE ANYONE.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

No, such a faith CAN save him.
Faith alone is dead, like a dead body to be buried.

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Faith alone without any right action does not save. Apostle James says such faith is DEAD.
Many denominations call that dead faith ‘saving faith’.

The only time ‘faith alone’ is mentioned in the Bible, it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

That “dead faith” is NOT the most important kind of faith ever known.

Faith alone without works is dead. Our faith must be alive. Faith with obedience is living faith, alive faith.

The works we do not have to do to justify ourselves is be circumcised, observe special days, and sacrifice animals. Those are the works that Paul is speaking about, but people misunderstand Paul to their destruction. What insanity it is to think Paul is rebuking people from obeying Jesus.

Abraham was saved by faith and that was before circumcision. The scriptures say Abraham believed in and obeyed God, even before circumcision!

Abraham was not saved by faith alone because faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.
The scriptures say that Abraham obeyed.

I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.” Genesis 26:4-5

James 2:22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

Faith alone doesn't first save and then it was really real if later the person obeys something.

James heard of this false teaching of faith alone, and that is why he tells the people it is foolish.

People were misunderstanding Paul.

Peter no doubt heard of this false teaching accredited to Paul cause he says people who misunderstand Paul have problems, just as James says.

Peter tells us that people misunderstand Paul. Right after Peter says that, he warns us to obey. See 2 Peter 3:16, and 17.

People misunderstand Paul about no works. Paul is speaking about the ceremonial works of the law.
The Jews had to make themselves clean just to go to the temple to worship God. Can you imagine having to do all the things the Jews used to have to do?

These things are called the works of the law. They are the purification/ceremonial works of the law:

The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.

Paul explains that we do not have to do those things anymore to be saved, because faith alone in Jesus’ blood cleans us; faith that his blood cleans us after we repent of our sins. No one has to work at cleaning themselves just to go to the temple to worship God. Faith in Jesus’ blood makes us clean and we become the temple of the Living God.

The Jews had the law with works to make themselves clean for many hundreds of years, about 1,600 years. Paul is explaining why the Jews do not have to do those works anymore when God commanded it. Paul is also explaining how the Gentiles who were EXCLUDED and without God in the world can now be saved without doing all those purification/ceremonial works…faith and no works of the law. Faith and no ceremonial works save, not faith and no obeying.

Even the demons believe and do something, they shudder.
See James 2:19.