Pastors are like chalk and cheese!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyStan

Once upon a few years ago the morning church service was unlike it is today. Back in the good old days the minister or pastor preached a sermon on a bible passage every Sunday. The texts covered both old and new testaments every week. He was in the pulpit every Sunday except for holidays or sickness or other critical reasons. During the service hymns with a strong bible theology were sung. The hymns covered the range of truth taught in scripture. After the service the minister stood at the door and greeted the people as they left the church. He shook their hand with a greeting for every person. Generally he preached two Sunday sermons, led a mid-week bible study, pastoral visits to the members and visitors, performed weddings and funerals and was involved with Brotherhood programmes and committees. And he presided at the church elders and deacons meetings.
Today, the minister or CEO, preaches one sermon about once or twice a month. Most sermons from the Old Testament texts. He is absent from the pulpit more times than he is in it. He takes a week or two break every other month. The songs sung are all about Jesus and me, or me and Jesus. They do not cover any theology except Jesus loves me and I love Jesus; what else matters? The minister never stands at the door to meet and greet anyone. He does not lead any bible studies or small groups. The focus is on the external things of making the building and furniture and service a comfortable happy place for people from the community. And he takes Tuesdays and Fridays off.
The older and modern versions of pastor I have described are like chalk and cheese. I know what style tastes good and nourishes the spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.