Passover Sabbaths

WeberHome

-
CLAIM: Friday is definitively the day of Christ's crucifixion because the Sabbath followed immediately.

RESPONSE: The identity of that particular sabbath is easily the most common error that people make when attempting to calculate the chronology of the three nights that Christ predicted at Matt 12:40.

Most of us have had it drilled into our heads since childhood that the word "sabbath" always, and without exception, refers to the usual seventh-day repose. However; that word not only applies to the usual day; it also applies to other holy days wherein no servile work is permitted.

For example Yom Kippur [Lev 16:31), the Feast of Trumpets (Num 19:1), and the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Lev 23:5-8)

The Feast of Unleavened Bread (a.k.a. Passover week) is interesting because it has two days wherein no servile work is permitted, one at the beginning of the feast, and another at the end; and while the usual sabbaths are fixed; Passover sabbaths float so that it's actually possible to have two consecutive sabbaths when Passover sabbaths butt up against the usual sabbaths.

That very situation occurred in 1994, 2001 and 2008. Passover fell on Sunday. So Judaism had to observe two sabbaths in a row those years: the usual sabbath on Saturday, followed immediately by a Passover sabbath on Sunday; which for Judaism is normally the first day of the week. At the end of the feast, they did it all over again.

FYI: Some time ago I searched Passover dates back fifty years and could not find even one time when it fell on a Friday. I'm not accusing the Jews of manipulating their religious calendar to make sure Passover never falls on a Friday, but I cannot help but suspect that is exactly what they do.

Anyway; having consecutive sabbaths in the mix throws people off when they try to construct a chronology of the three nights that Christ predicted because it's so easy to mistake Passover's sabbath for the usual sabbath. Bear with me while I flesh this out.

According to John 13:1-2 and John 18:28, the Jews had not yet eaten their Passover when Christ was arrested and put on trial.

According to John 19:13-14, Christ's crucifixion took place on the day when the Jews removed leavened bread from their homes and slaughtered lambs for the Passover dinner that night.

The old covenant's feasts typically kick off at sundown; ergo: the Jews' Passover sabbath that year kicked off at sundown of the very day of Christ's crucifixion.

†. John 19:31 . .The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

The Greek word for "high" is megas (meg'-as) which essentially means big. Well yeah of course that particular sabbath was big. It wasn't a usual sabath; no, it was a Passover sabbath.

Now, I feel it only fair to warn everybody that there are some heavy hitters out there, some with Th.D. degrees, who refuse to factor the Jews' Passover sabbath into the three nights that Christ predicted at Matt 12:40; so be prepared for some pretty stiff opposition; from not only the heavy hitters themselves, but also from their admirers.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Some time ago I searched Passover dates back fifty years and could not find even one time when it fell on a Friday. I'm not accusing the Jews of manipulating their religious calendar to make sure Passover never falls on a Friday, but I cannot help but suspect that is exactly what they do.

In the first century the first day of Passover was on Friday, April 3, 33 CE, however, Jesus died on Wednesday, April 5, 30 CE.

(http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/SpringPhenom.php)