Painkillers, Heroin Epidemic: Coming to Your Neighborhood?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Painkillers, Heroin Epidemic: Coming to Your Neighborhood?

The Centers for Disease Control recently issued a sobering, and at times, frightening report about the rise of heroin use in the United States. (here: http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/heroin/)

For most people, heroin is something foreign, something that impacts "other people" in those neighborhoods, so the suffering and tragedy caused by the drug is someone else's problem.

They couldn't be more wrong. The epidemic of heroin use is everyone's problem, and by "everyone" I also mean Christians.

According to the CDC, heroin use in the United States increased by more than 60 percent between 2004 and 2013. That's bad enough, but if you look at the numbers more closely, they get even scarier.

Heroin use doubled among women; rose 114 percent among whites; and rose 109 percent among people between the ages of 18 and 25. And during the same period, the rate of deaths by overdose nearly quadrupled.

Almost as striking as the numbers is the geography of the heroin scourge. As Sam Quiñones documents in his devastating new book, "Dreamland," the areas hardest hit by the heroin epidemic aren't places like New York or L. A., but places like Charlotte, Nashville, and especially West Virginia and Ohio.

As Quiñones tells readers, the rise in heroin use was made possible by the widespread abuse of synthetic opiates, most famously Oxycontin and Vicodin. This abuse, in turn, was facilitated by two bad ideas.

The first was that these drugs were, somehow, not addictive. This required, as one doctor told Quiñones, throwing out "ten thousand years of reality" about the addictive nature of opiates.

People were willing to ignore reality because, in the 1980s and 1990s, living pain-free literally came to be seen as a kind of human right: in fact the World Health Organization claims "freedom from pain as a universal human right."

And no country took this "right" more to heart than the United States. With only 5 percent of the world's population, we consume 80 percent of the world's synthetic opiates.

These bad ideas, coupled with the over prescribing of these pills produced hundreds of thousands of opiate addicts. Eventually, when governments cracked down and made the pills harder to obtain, addicts turned to the cheap and more potent heroin imported from Mexico.

The result was the epidemic of heroin overdoses the CDC reported on.

The extent of the epidemic isn't the only surprising aspect of this story. Another surprise is the kind of people being caught up in the epidemic. Heroin use has spread from inner cities and unemployed factory workers in the "Rust Belt" to kids and the suburbs.

And that brings me back to Christians. Quiñones begins the story of the epidemic by telling the story of a Christian family in Columbus, Ohio. Both of their sons went to a Christian high school. While one graduated from a Christian college and went on to grad school at Yale, the younger son became addicted to synthetic opiates and eventually died from a heroin overdose.

Just as sad is the story of the Russian Pentecostal immigrants in Portland, Oregon. Their ancestors kept the faith despite Soviet persecution. And yet, as Quiñones, writes "Remaining Christian in America, where everything was permitted, was harder than maintaining the faith in the Soviet Union where nothing was allowed."

Within a few decades, hundreds of their kids became heroin addicts

My goal isn't to alarm you but, instead, open your eyes to the fact that our kids face threats we couldn't have imagined when we were growing up. If you think "it can't happen here," you're wrong.

Revelation 9:21 and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.

The word sorceries in this passage comes from the greek word pharmakeia that the word pharmacy comes from and refers to drug use.

There is a drug epidemic in this country today and really brings that scripture to life in my opinion.

gcthomas

"According to the CDC, heroin use in the United States increased by more than 60 percent between 2004 and 2013. That's bad enough, but if you look at the numbers more closely, they get even scarier."

Not to belittle the heroine problem in the US, but unfortunately, neither the article nor the CDC linked page show the actual numbers, so you have to dig deeper. I always get a little suspicious when relative percentages are used to inflate relatively small numbers.

So a 60% relative increase from 1.6% to 2.6% is a serious rise and worth addressing, but it is actually a 1.0% rise in actual usage - just one percent more of the population are using heroine as the use of synthetic opioids declines.

It seems the death rate from both has remained rather steady, with lower deaths in one almost exactly balanced by increased deaths in the other.

Daniel1611

I can tell you from personal experience that heroin is becoming more popular because of the rising street cost of pain killers.

SaulToPaul 2

I would never stick a needle in my arm, but pills are easy.

I'm glad I don't have access to an endless supply. I can see how people become severely addicted. They make you feel groovy.

gcthomas

I can tell you from personal experience that heroin is becoming more popular because of the rising street cost of pain killers.

Yes, that is what the CDC thinks too. The Mexican heroine is cheaper than the better regulated American drugs.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not to belittle the heroine problem in the US, but unfortunately, neither the article nor the CDC linked page show the actual numbers, so you have to dig deeper. I always get a little suspicious when relative percentages are used to inflate relatively small numbers.

Learn how to read, the page certainly does, you need to look at it all. Now i am putting you on ignore, because all you do is troll. Im not wasting any more of my time on your posts that quibble about nothing where you didnt even read something or have no comment on the larger issue. From the link:

Heroin use has increased among most demographic groups. This chart shows the annual average rate of heroin use (per 1,000 people in each demographic group) for the combined years 2002 to 2004 and 2011 to 2013, and shows the percent increase between those time periods.
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/heroin/infographic.html#graphic

If the CDC claim itself isnt good enough for you, tough.

Daniel1611

Yes, that is what the CDC thinks too. The Mexican heroine is cheaper than the better regulated American drugs.

I can tell you for sure that there are people who were pain killer addicts who only started doing heroin because it is cheaper and easier to get. Heroin is much more dangerous too because you are never positive of the strength before you try it.

gcthomas

Fair enough with the CDC, but the article you presented made a big deal about relative figures without the actual numbers, which is misleading.

And there doesn't seem to be any rise in the combined heroine/pain killer abuse levels, so the article's claim of increases in drug use also need taking with a pinch of salt.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I would never stick a needle in my arm, but pills are easy.

I'm glad I don't have access to an endless supply. I can see how people become severely addicted. They make you feel groovy.

I have a whole prescription of them (opioids) took exactly 2 of them after having some minor surgery about 3 weeks ago.

I don't understand the want for it for reasons other than pain, ive always only taken the very least of anything needed for pain and only when the pain is severe. I don't like my mind fogged up or feeling like i am being controlled by anything foreign. I would rather be in a little pain.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Doesn't anyone remember John Belushi's last years when he was in the grip of the epidemic?

Do you recall how this epidemic swept through Rush Limbaugh's mansion years ago?

Or how Phillip Seymore Hofffman put an end to his torment?

Daniel1611

I have a whole prescription of them (opioids) took exactly 2 of them after having some minor surgery about 3 weeks ago.

I don't understand the want for it for reasons other than pain, ive always only taken the very least of anything needed for pain and only when the pain is severe. I don't like my mind fogged up or feeling like i am being controlled by anything foreign. I would rather be in a little pain.

Good idea. It's best to never get high in them. Once you try it, you'll probably have problems. I have nerve damage in my neck and protruding discs in my back and I won't take anything for it .

noguru

Doesn't anyone remember John Belushi's last years when he was in the grip of the epidemic?

Do you recall how this epidemic swept through Rush Limbaugh's mansion years ago?

Or how Phillip Seymore Hofffman put an end to his torment?

I agree. It is an ongoing problem in society. I think these changes in use percentages is just do to variations, nuances within society. The addiction is really just the results of some deeper societal issues.

1.) Society seems to train people to become fixated on short term/easy solutions to a problem. Drugs do that for people, and they are really just following the prescriptions of society. Despite the seeming conflict that society looks down on drug use.

2.) People are also seduced by the idea that we should avoid struggle both physical and intellectual. And as SaultoPaul pointed out opiates and other drugs tend to make people feel groovy.

3.) This is the compounded issue from the previous two. Drugs only interact with the natural normal parts of our nervous system. They are a short term remedy for a larger problem. In the case of pain after a surgery, the pain subsequently subsides and there is no longer a need for that specific purpose. However as intelligent animals we learn to associate the good feelings we experienced in regard to the time following surgery (for example) with other problems in our life. And many addicts start using the drug as a band aid fix for all "problems/struggles" they experience. The excessive use then clogs up our normal natural neurophysiology, and it gets more difficult for our bodies to achieve that from more long term physiologically indigenous psychoactive substances. This is the downward spiral wee always see with any addiction.

noguru

Good idea. It's best to never get high in them. Once you try it, you'll probably have problems. I have nerve damage in my neck and protruding discs in my back and I won't take anything for it .

That's absurd. Its misunderstanding like this that keeps drug use a prevalent problem in society.

The natural normal part of our system that opiates mimic are endorphins and they probably release dopamine in the synaptic cleft as well. Both of these normal natural chemicals, which are indigenous in our body, produce a "high" from things like exercise, good food, music, sex, religious experiences...

It is not the high itself that is the problem. It is the seeking of short term gratification and long term/excessive use of non -indigenous substances that seriously increasingly inhibits the bodies normal natural ability to do it on its own as physical tolerance increases. This is the downward spiral we always see associated with addiction.

Granite

Hall of Fame
NH's in the midst of a heroin epidemic, seems to have taken the state and our officials completely off-guard. Little New Hampshire doesn't have any kind of experience dealing with this kind of thing.

fzappa13

Heroin is cyclical in that it depends upon the vagaries of weather and politics ... not so meth. Ask you local law enforcement.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
fig4test51414.jpg

The number of past-year heroin users in the United States nearly doubled between 2005 and 2012, from 380,000 to 670,000 (Fig. 4).[29] Heroin abuse, like prescription opioid abuse, is dangerous both because of the drug’s addictiveness and because of the high risk for overdosing. In the case of heroin, this danger is compounded by the lack of control over the purity of the drug injected and its possible contamination with other drugs (such as fentanyl, a very potent prescription opioid that is also abused by itself).[30] All of these factors increase the risk for overdosing, since the user can never be sure of the amount of the active drug (or drugs) being taken. In 2010, there were 2,789 fatal heroin overdoses, approximately a 50 percent increase over the relatively constant level seen during the early 2000s.[31] What was once almost exclusively an urban problem is spreading to small towns and suburbs.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...ion-to-opioids-heroin-prescription-drug-abuse