Now that Christmas (Christ Mass) is over

musterion

The issue for me is where it all came from.

It did not come from the Pauline section of the Bible so no one who isn't ignorant could say "Christmas is a Christian holiday" with a straight face. One can BELIEVE that it is. Many do. But you can also sit in your garage and say "I'm a Chevy" but that's not true either.

As far as Christmas goes, both the absence of Bible support and secular history indicate it's nothing more than pagan human traditions that were long ago repackaged (thanks, Catholics) with some biblical imagery and terminology overlaid on top.

Fun fact: every O.T. example of a green tree set up in a place of attention and admiration is an example of pagan idol worship, which God told Israel not to partake of and to destroy. So, the tradition of the Christmas tree does indeed comes not from the Bible but, most directly, from Germanic reverence to Odin...a pagan idol who was somehow revered in the form of an evergreen tree under which he gave gifts to the faithful.

Does that mean modern Christmas trees = O.T. pagan idol worship? No...but that is the closest biblical thing to a Christmas tree that you can find. And that ain't a good thing. Is it not the very kind of pagan idolatry that Paul said the Corinthians had been saved OUT of and AWAY from?

Follow up question: When you object, "Okay, maybe all of that is true but in MY house, I do not intend the tree to reflect ANY of that!" . . . does that difference matter? You tell me, I'm asking.

Now, look. I'm not unreasonable. If someone just wants a traditional holiday with no pretense of religious weight attached to it (as it pretty much is for most), December 25 works. So would July 9th. Fine, whatever.

But it's impossible to entirely extricate Christmas from much false baggage regarding Christ, or most definitely the verifiably pagan baggage...much less somehow sanctify it...it just can't be done; if you try you won't be left with much of anything.

But you'll have an easier time of that than if, on the off chance, you really wanted to be biblical about commemorating the birth of Christ (for which, btw, there is no biblical example for Christians...His death, yes, birth, no). In that case, December won't cut it. Nor will pretty much anything else.

Just my opinion.

Robert Pate

Banned
Paul said to the Galatians, "You observe days and months and times and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed on you labor in vain" Galatians 4:11.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, the timing of the holiday was to combat a pagan holiday with the intent to "override" the pagan holiday.

It kinda worked, in the sense that most do not celebrate Christmas as a celebration of a pagan deity, but celebrate the awesomeness of the Lord becoming flesh and dwelling among us.

I enjoy Christmas.
I enjoy the occasion to gather together with family and friends to fellowship and party and feast together.
Thanksgiving and Christmas are a couple of my favorite holidays.
My family doesn't get all "solemn" about it, ........ we CELEBRATE it and are joyous!
super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

As far as folks having a Christmas tree in opposition of Jeremiah 10:3-5, I view it in the way Paul does about the liberty we have with dietary restrictions, or being circumcised or uncircumcised.
In Christ, you have the liberty to abide by the traditions of the household you are in, even if those traditions are contrary to the liberty you know you have.

musterion

That's fine, I don't seek to impose anything on anyone else or take away anything. I just keep coming back to the question: Can something that is blatantly pagan [meaning demonic] ever truly be sanitized and rendered neutral, much less sanctified? The Catholics said sure it can. My gut tells me no, it can't. But that's my gut.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's fine, I don't seek to impose anything on anyone else or take away anything. I just keep coming back to the question: Can something that is blatantly pagan [meaning demonic] ever truly be sanitized and rendered neutral, much less sanctified? The Catholics said sure it can. My gut tells me no, it can't. But that's my gut.
I get it too.
I can understand why some are leery about what some of the 'traditions' originally represented.
It can sometimes be a fine line as to how far one can take it before it tends to look like giving credence to pagan activity.
There were several years we did not have a Christmas tree (some we did, and some we didn't).
I guess we wanted to instill in our children that a tree was not relevant, and that the fellowship with family and friends could carry on just as easily without one.
So they grew up knowing that having a tree or not did not make Christmas any more or less special.
Making the tree an non-issue - take it or leave it.
All it was was just another pretty colorful decorative centerpiece to look at.

What's funny is that I would never want a pine tree or a cedar tree growing in my yard!
Tree wise, they are kinda yucky and useless, and it's hard to keep good grass growing under them, and tend to just fester a lot of clover weed growth around them.

glorydaz

I've always used those "gut feelings" about this subject to teach the children about the true meaning of our Lord's birth (His coming in the flesh) and why He came...to die and raise again. Sometimes the Lord uses that which was meant for evil... for the good, and that's my "gut". :)

glorydaz

What's funny is that I would never want a pine tree or a cedar tree growing in my yard!
Tree wise, they are kinda yucky and useless, and it's hard to keep good grass growing under them, and tend to just fester a lot of clover weed growth around them.

WHAT? Leave it to a Texan to say such a thing out a Pine. :nono:

musterion

I've already began instructing the girls on how the world really works...politically, socially, religiously...the oldest is 9 so I still have to treat some issues (like Christmas) delicately. I can tell she's going to be the bigger problem. We were in the store when a song came on that the youngest hates (the loud one with the bells, can't remember which) and covered her ears. That led to a talk where I said Christmas day really isn't the birth of Christ...September, etc...she got a little irked by that, even when I said it's not in the Bible. "Well, people can write whatever they want in the Bible, so how do you know yours is right?" I'm planning on asking her where she heard that retort...or maybe she came up with it herself.

glorydaz

I've already began instructing the girls on how the world really works...politically, socially, religiously...the oldest is 9 so I still have to treat some issues (like Christmas) delicately. I can tell she's going to be the bigger problem. We were in the store when a song came on that the youngest hates (the loud one with the bells, can't remember which) and covered her ears. That led to a talk where I said Christmas day really isn't the birth of Christ...September, etc...she got a little irked by that, even when I said it's not in the Bible. "Well, people can write whatever they want in the Bible, so how do you know yours is right?" I'm planning on asking her where she heard that retort...or maybe she came up with it herself.

Oh my. Our work as teachers never ends, does it?

Zeke

The issue for me is where it all came from.

It did not come from the Pauline section of the Bible so no one who isn't ignorant could say "Christmas is a Christian holiday" with a straight face. One can BELIEVE that it is. Many do. But you can also sit in your garage and say "I'm a Chevy" but that's not true either.

As far as Christmas goes, both the absence of Bible support and secular history indicate it's nothing more than pagan human traditions that were long ago repackaged (thanks, Catholics) with some biblical imagery and terminology overlaid on top.

Fun fact: every O.T. example of a green tree set up in a place of attention and admiration is an example of pagan idol worship, which God told Israel not to partake of and to destroy. So, the tradition of the Christmas tree does indeed comes not from the Bible but, most directly, from Germanic reverence to Odin...a pagan idol who was somehow revered in the form of an evergreen tree under which he gave gifts to the faithful.

Does that mean modern Christmas trees = O.T. pagan idol worship? No...but that is the closest biblical thing to a Christmas tree that you can find. And that ain't a good thing. Is it not the very kind of pagan idolatry that Paul said the Corinthians had been saved OUT of and AWAY from?

Follow up question: When you object, "Okay, maybe all of that is true but in MY house, I do not intend the tree to reflect ANY of that!" . . . does that difference matter? You tell me, I'm asking.

Now, look. I'm not unreasonable. If someone just wants a traditional holiday with no pretense of religious weight attached to it (as it pretty much is for most), December 25 works. So would July 9th. Fine, whatever.

But it's impossible to entirely extricate Christmas from much false baggage regarding Christ, or most definitely the verifiably pagan baggage...much less somehow sanctify it...it just can't be done; if you try you won't be left with much of anything.

But you'll have an easier time of that than if, on the off chance, you really wanted to be biblical about commemorating the birth of Christ (for which, btw, there is no biblical example for Christians...His death, yes, birth, no). In that case, December won't cut it. Nor will pretty much anything else.

Just my opinion.

Well the christian dips in and out of the shadows like all men do no matter what they proclaim about other religions/beliefs being pagan, ignorance of Galatians 4:24, Matt 11:11 has you doing the same thing playing Judah, judging by appearance seeing a harlot that is more righteous than you is an eye opener you haven't experienced yet, or you would know there is only one power, that all things witness to! if you can see through the appearance/shadows a mistake that rewards its master to the last thought kind hot stuff to think about Genesis 38:24.

musterion

Well the christian dips in and out of the shadows like all men do no matter what they proclaim about other religions/beliefs being pagan, ignorance of Galatians 4:24, Matt 11:11 has you doing the same thing playing Judah, judging by appearance seeing a harlot that is more righteous than you is an eye opener you haven't experienced yet, or you would know there is only one power, that all things witness to! if you can see through the appearance/shadows a mistake that rewards its master to the last thought kind hot stuff to think about Genesis 38:24.

Is English your second language? Third?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Huh?

Zeke

Not surprised, you can't see Christ/seed of woman hiding/veiled in Tamar (who I will use in place of xmas/pagan) just like Judah (who I use in place of ignorant judges like traditional christians who can't help but judge by appearances) is my point about this thread, now how much simpler do you need it explained? an observationalist/letter follower should even get the drift/point being inferred.

musterion

It's like a badly programmed bot wrote this... just barely cohesive enough to make you think it's trying to make a point, but there isn't one.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Happy Christmas Everyone!

(even though Jesus was born on 11th September [3BC]
and on God's Calendar it was Day 1 [Trumpets] Tishr [3969AM]
Which this year was 21st September 2017)

Never mind :deadhorse: