New Testament scriptures and God's commands.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Are the commands of God found in the New Testament scriptures from God’s Law or consistent with God’s Law? Are they derived from God’s Law, do they make up God’s Law, or are they God’s Law?

God’s Law can be seen as a set of commands. It can also be seen as God’s instruction, as that is what the word Law can mean.

Some people believe we are to obey God’s commands but that we are not to obey God’s commands found in the Law, and some say the Old Testament (meaning Old Testament scripture or the Old Covenant itself).

Does all of this make sense? What do you think?

Ben Masada

Are the commands of God found in the New Testament scriptures from God’s Law or consistent with God’s Law? Are they derived from God’s Law, do they make up God’s Law, or are they God’s Law?

God’s Law can be seen as a set of commands. It can also be seen as God’s instruction, as that is what the word Law can mean.

Some people believe we are to obey God’s commands but that we are not to obey God’s commands found in the Law, and some say the Old Testament (meaning Old Testament scripture or the Old Covenant itself).

I think that the answer to every question above is "No" because none of them makes sense. True there are some references to the Law in the NT but, most of them specially mentioned by Paul are rather against the Law. Anyway, the purpose of the NT as the Law is concerned was to replace the Law with faith or Judaism with Christianity.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I think that the answer to every question above is "No" because none of them makes sense. True there are some references to the Law in the NT but, most of them specially mentioned by Paul are rather against the Law. Anyway, the purpose of the NT as the Law is concerned was to replace the Law with faith or Judaism with Christianity.

In the Bible faith came before the Law. In the New Testament we have the Gospel accounts with Jesus. As for Paul it is my belief that rightly understood Paul never spoke against the Law. He in fact magnified the Law, as I believe Jesus did.

njspolk

In the Bible faith came before the Law. In the New Testament we have the Gospel accounts with Jesus. As for Paul it is my belief that rightly understood Paul never spoke against the Law. He in fact magnified the Law, as I believe Jesus did.

Absolutely. Christ claimed that he came to fulfill the Law, not abolish it. He came to abolish legalism, but not legalists. Paul and the other author's of the NT followed in Christ's ways by doing and claiming the same thing. God has been trying to keep us whole and point to our wholeness since before the Fall. Men from all religions and cultures continue to cloud that wholeness with fundamentalism, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I may be wrong, but Christ came to fulfill the law, so we in the NT are not bound by it's weird ideas.

There are two main views:

1. Says the law is broken into 3 parts... and we are still under part of it, but not all of it.

2. I agree with the second that the whole law is not binding to church christians unless stated in the NT as truth. :)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Absolutely. Christ claimed that he came to fulfill the Law, not abolish it. He came to abolish legalism, but not legalists. Paul and the other author's of the NT followed in Christ's ways by doing and claiming the same thing. God has been trying to keep us whole and point to our wholeness since before the Fall. Men from all religions and cultures continue to cloud that wholeness with fundamentalism, unfortunately.
We should all believe what the Bible says. It is God's word.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I may be wrong, but Christ came to fulfill the law, so we in the NT are not bound by it's weird ideas.

There are two main views:

1. Says the law is broken into 3 parts... and we are still under part of it, but not all of it.

2. I agree with the second that the whole law is not binding to church christians unless stated in the NT as truth. :)

God's instruction in Torah and the rest of the TaNaKh plus the New Testament, and the old covenant law we read of in the Bible, are all from God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Like not eating pork, circumcision, love your neighbor or are there other categories?
These are all God's commands. The point I was saying was that we need to obey God's commands. That is what we should do. Not obeying God's commands is not an option.

I obey these commands you have mentioned here. I also believe that you will do well if you follow the instruction of the apostles in Acts 15.

njspolk

These are all God's commands. The point I was saying was that we need to obey God's commands. That is what we should do. Not obeying God's commands is not an option.

I obey these commands you have mentioned here. I also believe that you will do well if you follow the instruction of the apostles in Acts 15.

I can dig it :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Prizebeatz1

How far are we supposed to take obeying the law? "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? (Matthew 12:11). "If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12)." My point is that law is for the benefit of man, and not man for the benefit of law. Also see John 8:1-11 with the woman caught in adultery for another interesting perspective. So the question becomes, if Jesus was God, did he not disobey his own commandments? The word says Jesus came to fulfill the law but it certainly doesn't make much sense in the light of all these contradictions. How do we reconcile this?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

You frustrate the gospel

Galatians 2:21 KJV -

Poor Jacob, a poor lost soul

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How far are we supposed to take obeying the law? "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? (Matthew 12:11). "If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12)." My point is that law is for the benefit of man, and not man for the benefit of law. Also see John 8:1-11 with the woman caught in adultery for another interesting perspective. So the question becomes, if Jesus was God, did he not disobey his own commandments? The word says Jesus came to fulfill the law but it certainly doesn't make much sense in the light of all these contradictions. How do we reconcile this?

Jesus did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill. He did not disobey God's Law.