My Church has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons. Does Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
My Church has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons
The Church of the Bible has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons
Does your sect have Bishops, Priests, and Deacons?

Bishops (episcopoi) have the care of multiple congregations and appoint, ordain, and discipline priests and deacons. They sometimes appear to be called “evangelists” in the New Testament. Examples of first-century bishops include Timothy and Titus (1 Tim. 5:19–22; 2 Tim. 4:5; Titus 1:5).

Priests (presbuteroi) are also known as “presbyters” or “elders.” In fact, the English term “priest” is simply a contraction of the Greek word presbuteros. They have the responsibility of teaching, governing, and providing the sacraments in a given congregation (1 Tim. 5:17; Jas. 5:14–15).

Deacons (diakonoi) are the assistants of the bishops and are responsible for teaching and administering certain Church tasks, such as the distribution of food (Acts 6:1–6).

In the apostolic age, the terms for these offices were still somewhat fluid. Sometimes a term would be used in a technical sense as the title for an office, sometimes not. This nontechnical use of the terms even exists today, as when the term “minister” is used in many churches (both Protestant and Catholic) to refer to either ordained ministers (as in “My minister visited him”) or nonordained individuals. (In a Protestant church one might hear “He is a worship minister,” while in a Catholic church one might hear “He is an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion.”)

Thus, in the apostolic age Paul sometimes described himself as a diakonos (“servant” or “minister”; cf. 2 Cor. 3:6, 6:4, 11:23; Eph. 3:7), even though he held an office much higher than that of a deacon, that of apostle.

Similarly, on one occasion Peter described himself as a “fellow elder” (1 Pet. 5:1), even though he, being an apostle, also had a much higher office than that of an ordinary elder.

The term for bishop, episcopos (“overseer”), was also fluid in meaning. Sometimes it designated the overseer of an individual congregation (the priest), sometimes the person who was the overseer of all the congregations in a city or area (the bishop or evangelist), and sometimes simply the highest-ranking clergyman in the local church—who could be an apostle, if one were staying there at the time.

Although the terms “bishop,” “priest,” and “deacon” were somewhat fluid in the apostolic age, by the beginning of the second century they had achieved the fixed form in which they are used today to designate the three offices whose functions are clearly distinct in the New Testament.

The early Church Fathers recognized all three offices and regarded them as essential to the Church’s structure. Especially significant are the letters of Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, who traveled from his home city to Rome, where he was executed around A.D. 110. On the way he wrote letters to the churches he passed. Each of these churches possessed the same threefold ministry. Without this threefold ministry, Ignatius said, a group cannot be called a church.

Here are examples of what early Christian writers had to say on the subject of bishops, priests, and deacons: LINK

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The Three-Fold Ministry
by Jimmy Akin

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Deacons are a good thing. You can trust them. They have not been corrupted by our seminaries. They are primarily old married men who are dedicated to the Church.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Deacons are a good thing. You can trust them. They have not been corrupted by our seminaries. They are primarily old married men who are dedicated to the Church.

Corruption is another topic. Corruption is nothing new. One out of twelve apostles were corrupt - that's an 8% fail rate - and nothing has changed thanks to the sinfulness of man.

The point is that the Church of the Bible has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons. I know you agree.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
This corruption is.

Nothing is worse than the corruption in the times of the Borgias.

At any rate, the topic here is that the Church of the Bible has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons and so do we today.
Bishops (episcopoi) have the care of multiple congregations and appoint, ordain, and discipline priests and deacons. They sometimes appear to be called “evangelists” in the New Testament. Examples of first-century bishops include Timothy and Titus (1 Tim. 5:19–22; 2 Tim. 4:5; Titus 1:5).

Priests (presbuteroi) are also known as “presbyters” or “elders.” In fact, the English term “priest” is simply a contraction of the Greek word presbuteros. They have the responsibility of teaching, governing, and providing the sacraments in a given congregation (1 Tim. 5:17; Jas. 5:14–15).

Deacons (diakonoi) are the assistants of the bishops and are responsible for teaching and administering certain Church tasks, such as the distribution of food (Acts 6:1–6).

Although the terms “bishop,” “priest,” and “deacon” were somewhat fluid in the apostolic age, by the beginning of the second century they had achieved the fixed form in which they are used today to designate the three offices whose functions are clearly distinct in the New Testament.

Right Divider

Body part
More false RCC inventions.

Jesus told the twelve that they would sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel, not some supposed "successor's".
Mat 19:28 KJV And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luk 22:28-30 KJV Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. (29) And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; (30) That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Judas Iscariot was replaced not simply because he died, but because he was an unbeliever and a devil.
Joh 6:70-71 KJV Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? (71) He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.
Notice that scripture does not show James the brother of John being replaced (he died in Acts 12).

Paul was different. He was not one of the twelve nor an apostle of Israel. He was called as the ONE apostle for the ONE body, the church which is His body... the body of Christ.

Paul was NEVER under the authority of the other apostles.

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
1607384248993.png
Teachings of the Eastern Orthodox Church

Apostolic succession is the tracing of a direct line of apostolic ordination, Orthodox doctrine, and full communion from the Apostles to the current episcopacy of the Orthodox Church. All three elements are constitutive of apostolic succession.

It is through apostolic succession that the Orthodox Christian Church is the spiritual successor to the original body of believers in Christ that was composed of the Apostles. This succession manifests itself through the unbroken succession of its bishops back to the apostles.

The unbrokenness of apostolic succession is significant because of Jesus Christ's promise that the "gates of hell" (Matthew 16:18) would not prevail against the Church, and his promise that he himself would be with the apostles to "the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). According to this interpretation, a complete disruption or end of such apostolic succession would mean that these promises were not kept as would an apostolic succession which, while formally intact, completely abandoned the teachings of the Apostles and their immediate successors; as, for example, if all the bishops of the world agreed to abrogate the Nicene Creed or repudiate the Holy Scripture.

Orthodox teachings today are the same as that of the first apostles, though their mode of expression has adapted over the centuries to deal with heresies, changes in culture and so forth. This form of the doctrine was first formulated by St. Irenaeus of Lyons in the second century, in response to certain Gnostics. These Gnostics claimed that Christ or the Apostles passed on some teachings secretly, or that there were some secret apostles, and that they (the Gnostics) were passing on these otherwise secret teachings. Irenaeus responded that the identity of the original Apostles was well known, as was the main content of their teaching and the identity of the Apostles' successors. Therefore, anyone teaching something contrary to what was known to be apostolic teaching was not, in any sense, a successor to the Apostles or to Christ.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Traditionalanglicancommunion.jpg

Traditional Anglican Communion

ABOUT US
We continue in the historic Anglican expression of the Christian Faith as the same has been transmitted to us through the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, the Creeds of the Undivided Church, and the Book of Common Prayer. We are determined to continue in the Catholic Faith, Apostolic Order, Orthodox Worship, and Evangelical Witness of the historic Anglican Church, with its traditional liturgy, music and patrimony.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Right Divider said

More false RCC inventions.
What a complete moron.
From the girl that hates personal attacks . . . .

I hate stupidity and ignorance and that's why I hate you.

I post a belief that is held by all the ancient liturgical churches, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, and even Traditional Anglicans, and more. . . . . a belief that is essentially held by almost all Christians, and you pop off with "More false RCC inventions", like a petulant snotty retarded child, proving yourself to be a complete tool.

You haven't got the slightest tiniest inkling about true Christianity and its development. Your Christian understanding is stunted at Kindergarten level, and that is how you behave.

Discuss what the SCRIPTURE says

Already done you idiot. You were too busy lying through your fat face to notice.

Go back to your playpen.

Right Divider

Body part
I hate stupidity and ignorance and that's why I hate you.
I hate stupidity and ignorance, but I don't hate you. I hate your FALSE DOCTRINE.
I post a belief that is held by all the ancient liturgical churches, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, and even Traditional Anglicans, and more. . . . . a belief that is essentially held by almost all Christians, and you pop off with "More false RCC inventions", like a petulant snotty retarded child, proving yourself to be a complete tool.
Instead of being a hot head, discuss the CONTENT of my post and not your incorrect assessment about my intelligence.
You haven't got the slightest tiniest inkling about true Christianity and its development.
Indeed, I DO! I believe in TRUE CHRISTIANITY as found in GOD'S WORD... the BIBLE!
Your Christian understanding is stunted at Kindergarten level, and that is how you behave.

Go back to your playpen.
Poor little hypocrite. Cannot defend her beliefs from GOD'S WORD so she lashes out.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The First Post is Factual and True and has not been Proven Wrong

My Church has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons
The Church of the Bible has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons
Does your sect have Bishops, Priests, and Deacons?

In the apostolic age, the terms for these offices were still somewhat fluid. Sometimes a term would be used in a technical sense as the title for an office, sometimes not. This nontechnical use of the terms even exists today, as when the term “minister” is used in many churches (both Protestant and Catholic) to refer to either ordained ministers (as in “My minister visited him”) or nonordained individuals. (In a Protestant church one might hear “He is a worship minister,” while in a Catholic church one might hear “He is an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion.”)

Thus, in the apostolic age Paul sometimes described himself as a diakonos (“servant” or “minister”; cf. 2 Cor. 3:6, 6:4, 11:23; Eph. 3:7), even though he held an office much higher than that of a deacon, that of apostle.

Similarly, on one occasion Peter described himself as a “fellow elder” (1 Pet. 5:1), even though he, being an apostle, also had a much higher office than that of an ordinary elder.

The term for bishop, episcopos (“overseer”), was also fluid in meaning. Sometimes it designated the overseer of an individual congregation (the priest), sometimes the person who was the overseer of all the congregations in a city or area (the bishop or evangelist), and sometimes simply the highest-ranking clergyman in the local church—who could be an apostle, if one were staying there at the time.

The early Church Fathers recognized all three offices and regarded them as essential to the Church’s structure. Especially significant are the letters of Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, who traveled from his home city to Rome, where he was executed around A.D. 110. On the way he wrote letters to the churches he passed. Each of these churches possessed the same threefold ministry. Without this threefold ministry, Ignatius said, a group cannot be called a church.

Here are examples of what early Christian writers had to say on the subject of bishops, priests, and deacons: LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.