Mississippi lawmakers approve religion bill amid gay-rights protests

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Mississippi lawmakers approve religion bill amid gay-rights protests

A Mississippi measure that would allow people with religious objections to deny wedding services to same-sex couples and provide wide protections for actions decried as discriminatory by gay rights advocates passed the state legislature on Friday.

Opponents plan a last-ditch attempt to stop the legislation on Monday before it heads to Mississippi Republican Governor Phil Bryant, whose spokesman said he would decide whether to sign or veto it after a thorough review.

Bryant previously said he did not consider the bill discriminatory, according to WLOX television in Mississippi.

The fight comes after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last year legalizing same-sex marriage. In a wave of state-level legislation, social conservatives have pushed measures seen as harmful to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender men and women.

A new law barring transgender people in North Carolina from choosing bathrooms consistent with their gender identity has drawn wide protest, while the governors of Georgia and Virginia vetoed similar "religious liberty" bills this week.

Representative Andy Gipson, a Republican sponsor of the Mississippi measure, urged his colleagues on Friday not to be intimidated by national media criticism. He highlighted a poll that showed wide support for the measure in the state.

"It's time that we stand up and do the work of the people and protect the freedoms that they enjoy," he said.

The bill includes provisions that go beyond same-sex marriages, according to the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay rights advocacy group that has labeled the act appalling.

"We urge Governor Bryant to do the right thing - reject discrimination, and veto this harmful measure when it reaches his desk," said HRC President Chad Griffin earlier this week.

The legislation would allow employers to cite religious conviction in determining workplace policies on dress code, grooming and bathroom and locker access.

Foster parents would be protected in placing lesbian, gay or transgender children into controversial programs seeking to change their sexual orientation, said Ben Needham, director of HRC's "Project One America" to expand lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights in the U.S. South.

He said the legislation could also permit discrimination against single mothers, for example, by religious-affiliated organizations such as homeless shelters and food pantries.

Additionally, state court clerks could seek to be recused from providing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Some of Mississippi's large employers, such as Nissan North America and MGM Resorts International, have spoken out against legislation that would discriminate.

Excellent news.

exminister

He said the legislation could also permit discrimination against single mothers, for example, by religious-affiliated organizations such as homeless shelters and food pantries
This part is bad.
There is more than one reason robe a single mother.

exminister

You do not believe a charity can choose where its money goes?

They can do that. If the homeless person or persons is violent they can refuse them or call the police.

Why discriminate against single mothers? Isn't their life tough enough and would a group who wants to help homeless turn away children?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
OK. But it is in the article. Call it an unfortunate rider.

Its not a rider, its a scare tactic called propaganda stated by a fag that knows liberals cant resist lies.

His bio:

Chad Griffin
Political strategist
Chad Hunter Griffin is an American political strategist best known for his work advocating for LGBT rights in the United States

exminister

Its not a rider, its a scare tactic called propaganda stated by a fag that knows liberals cant resist lies.

His bio:

Chad Griffin
Political strategist
Chad Hunter Griffin is an American political strategist best known for his work advocating for LGBT rights in the United States

ah, so the single mother thing is not true. thanks.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Update - the governor signed it into law:

Mississippi gov. signs law allowing service denial to gays

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's governor signed a law Tuesday that allows religious groups and some private businesses to refuse service to gay couples based on religious beliefs.

Gov. Phil Bryant signed House Bill 1523, despite opposition from gay-rights groups and some businesses who say it enables discrimination. Some conservative and religious groups support the bill.

The measure's stated intention is to protect those who believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, that sexual relations should only take place inside such marriages, and that male and female genders are unchangeable.

"This bill merely reinforces the rights which currently exist to the exercise of religious freedom as stated in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution," the Republican governor wrote in a statement posted to his Twitter account.

The measure allows churches, religious charities and privately held businesses to decline services to people whose lifestyles violate their religious beliefs. Individual government employees may also opt out, although the measure says governments must still provide services.

"This bill does not limit any constitutionally protected rights or actions of any citizen of this state under federal or state laws," Bryant said. "It does not attempt to challenge federal laws, even those which are in conflict with the Mississippi Constitution, as the Legislature recognizes the prominence of federal law in such limited circumstances."

Other states have considered similar legislation. North Carolina enacted a law, while governors in Georgia and South Dakota vetoed proposals.

Bryant acted within hours of receiving the bill after it cleared its final legislative obstacle Monday, even as opponents tried to marshal pressure to persuade Bryant to reject it.

"This bill flies in the face of the basic American principles of fairness, justice and equality and will not protect anyone's religious liberty," Jennifer Riley-Collins, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi, said in a statement. "Far from protecting anyone from 'government discrimination' as the bill claims, it is an attack on the citizens of our state, and it will serve as the Magnolia State's badge of shame."

Excellent.

Quetzal

Bigotry south the mason-dixon is as common as water in a swimming pool. It is upsetting but not surprising.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That pendulum swings both ways.

yes, i support all private business owners to deny service as they choose. Yes, i would be fine with being denied service because i am white or a christian, I dont want to give my money to someone who doesnt want my business, i would rather give it to someone who does.

Quetzal

yes, i support all private business owners to deny service as they choose. Yes, i would be fine with being denied service because i am white or a christian, I dont want to give my money to someone who doesnt want my business, i would rather give it to someone who does.
You say that, but if the chips were on the table you would fold faster than a paper crane.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You say that, but if the chips were on the table you would fold faster than a paper crane.

Ive been denied a job because i was white. I don't want to work for a racist. Ive left a restaurant because of the attitude of a black and went elsewhere, complained to no one.

Im not like you, im not going to force someone to do what they dont want, or even further like in the case of needed laws, force someone to go against their conscience.

You know like these money grubbing fags that ensure these laws are needed - you dont see them in muslim bakeries demanding their homo cakes. We both know why too. Filthy hypocrites.

Quetzal

Ive been denied a job because i was white.
I find that highly unlikely.

Im not like you, im not going to force someone to do what they dont want, or even further like in the case of needed laws, force someone to go against their conscience.
Nonsense. You would force gay people to withhold from marriage because it's icky when they hold hands.

You know like these money grubbing fags, you dont see them in muslim bakeries demanding their homo cakes.
Use your big girl, adult words! You can do it, I believe in you.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I find that highly unlikely.
Too bad, i heard the supervisor while walking out with a black applicant, that she need not worry, she takes care of the "sistas". You find it unlikely because even though it happens the other way, most whites dont whine about it, they move on.

Nonsense. You would force gay people to withhold from marriage because it's icky when they hold hands.
Keep wishing what you think is true there, whatever it takes for you to sell your own conscience, you know its wrong to force people to act against their conscience. Hypocrite.

Use your big girl, adult words! You can do it, I believe in you.

You have issues.

Quetzal

Too bad, i heard the supervisor while walking out with a black applicant, that she need not worry, she takes care of the "sistas". You find it unlikely because even though it happens the other way, most whites dont whine about it, they move on.
You're a racist and a bigot, a twofer!

Keep wishing what you think is true there, whatever it takes for you to sell your own conscience, you know its wrong to force people to act against their conscience. Hypocrite.
Your posting history has painted a very clear picture, it is pretty obvious where you stand. My point holds.

You have issues.
It has been suggested.