MATTHEW 16:24

OCTOBER23

Jesus said to DENY ONESELF

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples,

If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

-- How much Denial should we practice ????

and Colossians says,

Colossians 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility,

and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
-----------------------------------------------------
1479 ethelothreskeia

will worship

1) voluntary, arbitrary worship
1a) worship which one prescribes and devises for himself,
contrary to the contents and nature of faith which ought to be directed to Christ
1b) said of the misdirected zeal and the practice of ascetics .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASCETICISM
----------------
Practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline.

austere in appearance, manner, or attitude.

A person who practices severe self-discipline and abstention

A person who leads an austerely simple life, especially one who abstains from the normal pleasures

of life or denies himself or herself material satisfaction

-- abstainer, puritan, recluse, hermit, anchorite, solitary
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bradley D

What does God tell you? I believe it depends on the person and God's intentions for that person. The body of Christ is made up of many members. Each having a different skill to use for God. I like to spend my time doing what I believe God's purpose for me is. God's purpose for me may be different from God's purpose for another.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus said to DENY ONESELF

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples,

If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

-- How much Denial should we practice ????

As earlier in Matthew 10:38, denial here is to obey and identify with Our Lord, even unto death. It is not simply to bear some particular buden laid upon us by the Lord. The call to discipleship demands that we completely abandon our natural desire to seek comfort, fame, or power, and even the instinct to preserve one’s own life at all costs. Our Messiah’s route of rejection and suffering blazes the trail for those who follow.

AMR

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The "self" is the ego--the all-too-human personality we all develop that too often gets in the way between us and our Maker.

It is similar to the notions of Buddhism. See the ego for what it is and get out of its way and start appreciating the Creation that is given us.