Jewish Holy Days

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

As a Jew I celebrate the Jewish Holy Days. Today is the Eighth Day of Chanukah.

There are three annual feasts and seven holy days in the Torah. Then there is Chanukah and Purim. I celebrate Rosh Chodesh as well. Some people celebrate Rosh Hashanah, though I observe the month of Aviv as the first month. So I do not understand a New Year celebration in the seventh month.

Today is Revi'i, the fourth day of the week, evening and morning (it is day), 10-2 (the tenth month, the second day).

I can't say what year it is, but I counted a New Year at the first month at least once. I was corrected afterward. But then I did not know.

Shalom.

Jacob

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So I do not understand a New Year celebration in the seventh month.

Israel's civil year begins on Tishri 1.

Israel's sacred year begins on Nisan 1.

Before the exodus Tishri 1 began the year.

Nisan 1 was instituted while the people were in Egypt.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Israel's civil year begins on Tishri 1.

Israel's sacred year begins on Nisan 1.

Before the exodus Tishri 1 began the year.

Nisan 1 was instituted while the people were in Egypt.

Incorrect.

The calendar that you are describing came out of Babylon, so you have it wrong.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Incorrect.

The calendar that you are describing came out of Babylon, so you have it wrong.

"THE END OF THE AGRICULTURAL YEAR
In addition to the biblical year that begins in Nissan (see Shmot 12:1-2), we find another ‘calendar’ in Chumash, which relates to the agricultural cycle of the year. Take for example the Torah’s first mention of the holiday of Sukkot, noting how it explicitly states that Sukkot falls out at the end of the year:
“Three times a year celebrate for Me… and the ‘gathering holiday’ [chag ha-asif], when the year goes out [be-tzeit ha-shana], when you gather your produce from the Land…” (see Shmot 23:14-17).
From this pasuk we can infer that Chumash takes for granted that we are aware of a ‘year’ that ‘goes out’ when we gather our fruits. If this ‘agricultural’ year ‘goes out’ when the produce is harvested, then it must begin when the fields are first sown (in the autumn).
ots.org.il/a-new-year-in-the-seventh-month/"​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"THE END OF THE AGRICULTURAL YEAR
In addition to the biblical year that begins in Nissan (see Shmot 12:1-2), we find another ‘calendar’ in Chumash, which relates to the agricultural cycle of the year. Take for example the Torah’s first mention of the holiday of Sukkot, noting how it explicitly states that Sukkot falls out at the end of the year:
“Three times a year celebrate for Me… and the ‘gathering holiday’ [chag ha-asif], when the year goes out [be-tzeit ha-shana], when you gather your produce from the Land…” (see Shmot 23:14-17).
From this pasuk we can infer that Chumash takes for granted that we are aware of a ‘year’ that ‘goes out’ when we gather our fruits. If this ‘agricultural’ year ‘goes out’ when the produce is harvested, then it must begin when the fields are first sown (in the autumn).
ots.org.il/a-new-year-in-the-seventh-month/"​

I do not know.