Jesus Fasted The Fast Of Esther

WatchmanOnTheWall

Not many Christians know about this Jewish tradition but it was a fast that Jesus took part in but has virtually gone unnoticed. The fast of Esther begins on day 13 of month 1 (Aviv) and lasts three days till the 16th:

Esther 3:12
Then on the thirteenth day of the first month the royal secretaries were summoned.

Later that day:

Esther 4:15-16
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Esther broke with tradition and rather than eat the Passover meal she decided to fast in the hope of receiving God’s Favour, as she was about to break a law that could have resulted in her receiving a death sentence. In recognition of this event many of the Jews who were saved began a tradition by fasting over these same three days and instead ate the Passover meal early on the 13th, others however continued to eat it on the normal day. (I believe the Essenes kept the fast of Esther).

After the last supper (which was a commemorative feast to Esther) that took place on the evening of the 13th Aviv as the sun set (and which is not the the Passover meal that is on the 15th), Jesus also fasted over these same three days, ending on the evening of the sixteenth day when He broke bread with Cleopas and the other disciple in Emmaus (Luke 24). He then immediately appeared to the eleven disciples in the upper room that night and asked for some broiled fish to eat. His disciples also fasted over that time just as Jesus had said they would:

Mark 2:19-20
19 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. 20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No. I'm just pointing out that Jesus fasted over the same three days Esther did, in fulfilment of this prophetic act, which saved all of God's People.

It wasn't Jesus' idea to fast, he prayed twice that his Father would find another way.

But it wasn't to be, Jesus was the Lamb of the Passover.

Jesus didn't fast, he died. Not the same thing.

WatchmanOnTheWall

It wasn't Jesus' idea to fast, he prayed twice that his Father would find another way.

But it wasn't to be, Jesus was the Lamb of the Passover.

Jesus didn't fast, he died. Not the same thing.

Esther fasted over these same three days in order to save all of God's people. Jesus did exactly the same thing. It was not and accident or coincidence. It was planned by God from the beginning (with Jesus).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Esther fasted over these same three days in order to save all of God's people. Jesus did exactly the same thing. It was not and accident or coincidence. It was planned by God from the beginning (with Jesus).

We are commanded not to fast during Passover week.

Paul said to keep the feast, not the fast.

Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it and gave it to them and said, "Take, eat, this is My body." (Mark 14:22)

"Then He took the cup and when He had given thanks He gave it to them and they all drank from it. And He said to them, 'This is My blood of the New Testament which is shed for many. Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.'" (Mark 14:23-25)

In the kingdom we will observe the NT Passover, not the OT Passover.

The OT Passover celebrated freedom from the Egyptians. The NT Passover celebrates freedom from sin.

WatchmanOnTheWall

We are commanded not to fast during Passover week.

Paul said to keep the feast, not the fast.

Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it and gave it to them and said, "Take, eat, this is My body." (Mark 14:22)

"Then He took the cup and when He had given thanks He gave it to them and they all drank from it. And He said to them, 'This is My blood of the New Testament which is shed for many. Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.'" (Mark 14:23-25)

In the kingdom we will observe the NT Passover, not the OT Passover.

The OT Passover celebrated freedom from the Egyptians. The NT Passover celebrates freedom from sin.

Please read the OP. That is explained there.

Gary K

Banned
Watchman,

I see only one major problem with your assertion, and that is that Scripture contradicts it.

Let's go to Matthew 26 and start with verses 1 and 2:

1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said unto his disciples,
2 Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.

Notice that Jesus is pointing out that the feast of the passover is coming up.

Now let's look at verses 17-19 from the same chapter.

17 ¶Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

The feast mentioned as being celebrated is the passover. There is no mention of Purim at all.

Mark tells the same story in Mark 14:12-16.

12 ¶And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
13 And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
14 And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
15 And he will shew you a large upper room furnished andprepared: there make ready for us.
16 And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.

And Luke tells the same story in Luke 22: 8-15.

8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.
9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

John leaves out much of the detail of the events leading to the last supper, but makes it plain that the passover was being celebrated in John 13:1-4.

1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;
3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

So, we have all 4 gospels saying that the feast being celebrated is the passover. How are you going to get around this much scriptural evidence that contradicts your assertion?

2003cobra

I suspect Jesus participated in all the standard feasts and festivals.

I have also read that He celebrated the Festival of Lights from Maccabees, and, it was there He declared “I am the light of the World.”

John 7 and 8

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What's that got to do with it? :peach:

It has everything to do with it.

"Three times a year all your males shall appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Tabernacles" (Deuteronomy 16:16)

Women were permitted to attend the feasts but not required to do so.

WatchmanOnTheWall

It has everything to do with it.

"Three times a year all your males shall appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Tabernacles" (Deuteronomy 16:16)

Women were permitted to attend the feasts but not required to do so.

I gave you Esther to read so that you could see what I am telling is true but you have instead ignored God's Word and chosen to continue to believe whatever you imagine:

Esther 4
15Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16“Go, gather together ALL the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” 17So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther’s instructions.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Esther 4
15Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16“Go, gather together ALL the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” 17So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther’s instructions.

Esther was not required to keep the Passover.

If she kept it she would have done so in the second month with the men.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Esther was not required to keep the Passover.

If she kept it she would have done so in the second month with the men.

It says: '16“Go, gather together ALL THE JEWS who are in Susa, and fast for me.'

That meant that every Jew fasted, both men and women and children, everyone!