Isaiah 7 study; "Behold the young woman is pregnant..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No, it was not uncommon. There are two kinds of virgin in Hebrew. One is "Almah" which is any young Jewish woman still at the age of giving birth. The other is "Betulah" the literally physical virgin whether she is young or not.

The Septuagint translates 'Almah' into 'Parthenos', which means 'virgin'.

The word – עַלְמָהʿal’mah refers to a human female between the ages of twelve years (legal age of marriage) through nineteen years. At the age of twenty years she becomes – אִשָּׁהʾishah regardless of whether or not she is married or has children.

There is no Mitz’vah that prohibits premarital sex; nor is there any Mitz’vah that requires virginity. In fact the only person required by Torah Law to marry a virgin is the High Priest. There is no reason to assume that all human females 12 – 19 years of age are virgins. At the time that I was in that age group, 1969 – 1976, which was shortly after moving to the United States from Yis’raél, there were very few girls in that age group who were still virgins, and of those who were, many still are.

However setting all of that aside, all anyone has to do is continue reading the passage. The identity of the young woman who is giving birth in Y’sha’yahu 7:14 is revealed in Y’sha’yahu 8:3; an unnamed prophetess with whom Y’sha’yahu had sexual intercourse. Therefore she was obviously not a virgin. Was she his wife? It doesn’t say, nor does it matter.

As I said before there is no Mitz’vah prohibiting premarital sex; nor in fact is there any Mitz’vah prohibiting extramarital sex between a married man and a single female. Although polygamy and polygyny are illegal in modern Yis’raél, both are indeed allowed by Biblical Law.

Spitfire

The Septuagint translates 'Almah' into 'Parthenos', which means 'virgin'.
Apparently, even the word "parthenos" in the Septuagint doesn't always specifically mean a virgin since it is used in reference to Dinah in Genesis 34. SOURCE

It's therefore not necessarily because of an error in the Septuagint translation that Christians believe what they do if it's wrong.

Because that is simply how the verse in Isaiah had always been interpreted prior to Christ's time? Clearly not, I presume. :p

The word – עַלְמָה– ʿal’mah occurs only three times in the Hebrew Scriptures B’réshiyt 24:43, where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – θυγατερες thugateres, which means “daughter;” Sh’mot 2:8 where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – νεανις neanis, which means “teenaged girl;” and Y’sha’yahu 7:14 where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – παρθενος Parthenos, which indeed means “virgin.”

Why, exactly, were the chr-stian translators of the pseudo-Septuaginta so random in their translations? Was it to promote their unbelievable fairy tale, or did they have other ulterior motives? Either way, only Sh’mot 2:8 had it right. But the average chr-stian never pays attention to such things. C’est la vie.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4585029 said:
The word – עַלְמָה– ʿal’mah occurs only three times in the Hebrew Scriptures B’réshiyt 24:43, where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – θυγατερες thugateres, which means “daughter;” Sh’mot 2:8 where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – νεανις neanis, which means “teenaged girl;” and Y’sha’yahu 7:14 where the pseudo-Septuaginta translates it – παρθενος Parthenos, which indeed means “virgin.”

Why, exactly, were the chr-stian translators of the pseudo-Septuaginta so random in their translations? Was it to promote their unbelievable fairy tale, or did they have other ulterior motives? Either way, only Sh’mot 2:8 had it right. But the average chr-stian never pays attention to such things. C’est la vie.

Hebrew is too tricky for you

Elia

Bs"d

Here a study about how Bible translations translate the word "almah":

https://sites.google.com/site/777mountzion/almahtranslationa

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction. The Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say: “Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things. Therefore behold, I will this once cause them to know, I will cause them to know My hand and My might; and they shall know that My name is Y-H-W-H.”
Jer 16:19-21

OCTOBER23

THE ANTICHRIST WILL CAUSE ALOT OF MAIDENS TO BE RAVISHED

AND SOME OF THEM WILL BECOME PREGNANT.

Zec 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken,

and the houses rifled, and the women ravished;

and half of the city shall go forth into captivity,

and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.