In Passing...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A very good friend to me died the other day. His name was Jimmy Faulkner and he had been, in his time, a state Senator, mayor, twice serious candidate for Govenor of Alabama, a remarkable business man whose interests included television stations and a string of newspapers, a good father and an elder in his church. He was a powerful protector of the county and state where he lived the largest portion of his life and he held them and the nation that he wrote about so often (Faulkner's Mumblings was a staple of the Baldwin Times until health issues forced his retirement from commentary) near to his heart.

Because he died so long after his heyday, the note of it fell "below the fold." Above it could be read a number of articles of arguably less importance, detailing the momentary worries and celebrations of lives continuing in his absence. I think he would have chuckled at that. I can almost see him nodding his approval. Life is for living and the living, he'd said to me more than once while commenting on the dimunition of advancing age.

Well, the world is diminished today. And this is a season of mourning.

He was 92.

assuranceagent

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, TH. Sounds like he was a man to be admired.

Would that I would have a friend, with as much character and class as you possess, remember me in admiration at my passing. He must have been a great man indeed.

PureX

It is very humbling to see how all those things that we've done, and that we've felt so passionately about throughout the course of our lives, are so quickly lost and forgotten to the fog of time. And not even a lot of time. The process is instantaneous. The moment we let go of the reigns, the horse will go it's own way, immediately forgetting us and where we thought we were going, and what for.

Such is life.

But in a way it's freeing, too, to realize that nothing we do really matters to anyone when we're gone. Our time is always now. What matters is what we do with whatever is right in front of us. And if we fail it will be forgotten soon enough. A kind of perpetual forgiveness brought to us by the gift of time and the very short attention spans of each other.

Everywhere I look, I see that 'God is good'. Even in the oblivion of my life's end, God is being good to me.