How Righteous Does Somebody Have To Be?

WeberHome

-
Phil 2:12 . . So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling

Personal righteousness is an important ingredient in the recipe for associating with God.

Gen 4:7 . . If you act rightly, you will be accepted;

1John 1:5-7 . . Now this is the message that we have heard from him and proclaim to you: God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say, “We have fellowship with him,” while we continue to walk in darkness, we lie and do not act in truth. But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another,

But personal righteousness, though important to fellowship, is not a high enough quality of righteousness to obtain salvation. For that; people need the righteousness of God.

Rom 10:1-3 . . Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God on their behalf is for salvation. I testify with regard to them that they have zeal for God, but it is not discerning. For, in their unawareness of the righteousness that comes from God and their attempt to establish their own [righteousness], they did not submit to the righteousness of God.

The righteousness of God is humanly impossible to duplicate, which is why it's an imputed righteousness rather than a righteousness produced by effort. In other words: the righteousness of God is an endowment; viz: it's a gift free of charge with no strings attached..

Rom 3:22 . . The righteousness of God is through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus.

Rom 3:9 . .And be found in him, not having any righteousness of my own based on the Commandments,. but that which comes through faith in Christ; the righteousness from God.

Now, with all that under our belts, it's very easy to see that the common interpretation of Php 2:12 is in error because nobody, no matter how hard nor how long they work at it, will ever succeed at producing a personal righteousness equal to the righteousness of God.

/

Robert Pate

Banned
-
Phil 2:12 . . So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling

Personal righteousness is an important ingredient in the recipe for associating with God.

Gen 4:7 . . If you act rightly, you will be accepted;

1John 1:5-7 . . Now this is the message that we have heard from him and proclaim to you: God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say, “We have fellowship with him,” while we continue to walk in darkness, we lie and do not act in truth. But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another,

But personal righteousness, though important to fellowship, is not a high enough quality of righteousness to obtain salvation. For that; people need the righteousness of God.

Rom 10:1-3 . . Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God on their behalf is for salvation. I testify with regard to them that they have zeal for God, but it is not discerning. For, in their unawareness of the righteousness that comes from God and their attempt to establish their own [righteousness], they did not submit to the righteousness of God.

The righteousness of God is humanly impossible to duplicate, which is why it's an imputed righteousness rather than a righteousness produced by effort. In other words: the righteousness of God is an endowment; viz: it's a gift free of charge with no strings attached..

Rom 3:22 . . The righteousness of God is through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus.

Rom 3:9 . .And be found in him, not having any righteousness of my own based on the Commandments,. but that which comes through faith in Christ; the righteousness from God.

Now, with all that under our belts, it's very easy to see that the common interpretation of Php 2:12 is in error because nobody, no matter how hard nor how long they work at it, will ever succeed at producing a personal righteousness equal to the righteousness of God.

/

Good post. God only accepts the righteousness of Christ. We are accepted only in him.