God's commands or God's character?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Is it proper to speak of the character of God?

Can we know the character of God from the commands of God?

We know God is love and we know the commands are about love. Is this the same as discussing the character of God?

We know God is love and we know the commands are about love. Is this the same as discussing the character of God?

:think:

i am not sure why it would be bad to discuss, well, anything as concerns God?

Do you feel guilty about such things?

There is much we dont understand about God and i do sometimes think it is rather a waste of time trying to figure Him out. Maybe it's a huge waste of time ? I mean, it's better to just spend time with Him, not trying to figure Him out or whatever. You might go mad trying to do that

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

There is much we dont understand about God and i do sometimes think it is rather a waste of time trying to figure Him out. Maybe it's a huge waste of time ? I mean, it's better to just spend time with Him, not trying to figure Him out or whatever. You might go mad trying to do that
When I ask if it is proper I mean where do we get our ideas about the character of God, is it from the Bible, and can we make sure we don't get off on the wrong foot about who God is, even by speaking of His character. The word character in relation to God may be a Theological concept and I don't know that it is the same as talking about the character of any other living person we know, boy or girl, man or woman.

meshak

BANNED
Banned

You are so clever, simple and clear. I like that:)

genuineoriginal

We know about the character of God from statements like this:

Exodus 20:5-6
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Can we say that God's commands, being holy, right, and good, teach us about who God is and what His relationship to us is? Or, rather, more exactly, what our relationship to Him is... for His character does not change. Our conduct should follow from His instruction, and His instruction is consistent with His character.