Freedom From the Law and Religion

Robert Pate

Banned
To be free from the law is to be free from religion. The words law and religion basically mean the same thing. When one is doing their religion they are doing the law. When one is doing the law they are doing their religion.

Jesus said, "If the Son shall make you free you shall be free indeed" John 8:36.

God never intended for his people to live according to laws and rules. The law was given to the Jews as a keeper until Christ had come and then after Christ had come they were to live by faith and the Holy Spirit. Living by laws and religion is not living by faith. Paul said, The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

The Holy Spirit is the Christians teacher and guide, "But when the comforter is come (he came on the day of Pentecost) whom I will send to you from the Father, EVEN THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me" John 15:26.

"Howbeit when he the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth, for he shall not speak of himself: but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come" John 16:13.

The letter (law) kills, but the Spirit brings life, 2 Corinthians 3:6. To be under the law or to live according to law will bring condemnation. "There is no condemnation to them that are "In Christ Jesus" who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" 2 Corinthians 3:6 What is the flesh that Paul is referring to here? I believe that it is law and religion. Have you noticed how fleshy religion is, with all of its pomp and glory? When the pope comes on with all of the cardinals its a real show.

The purpose of the law was to reveal the righteousness of God and the sinfulness of man. The Sermon on the Mount is God's law elevated. Jesus not only elevated it, he spiritualized it. Now, the law searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12. The other purpose of the law is to bring us to Christ, Paul wrote, "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith is come, we are no longer under the schoolmaster (the law) For you are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ" Galatians 3:24-26. The law served its purpose and is no longer needed.

JonahofAkron

To be free from the law is to be free from religion. The words law and religion basically mean the same thing. When one is doing their religion they are doing the law. When one is doing the law they are doing their religion.

Jesus said, "If the Son shall make you free you shall be free indeed" John 8:36.

God never intended for his people to live according to laws and rules. The law was given to the Jews as a keeper until Christ had come and then after Christ had come they were to live by faith and the Holy Spirit. Living by laws and religion is not living by faith. Paul said, The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

The Holy Spirit is the Christians teacher and guide, "But when the comforter is come (he came on the day of Pentecost) whom I will send to you from the Father, EVEN THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me" John 15:26.

"Howbeit when he the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth, for he shall not speak of himself: but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come" John 16:13.

The letter (law) kills, but the Spirit brings life, 2 Corinthians 3:6. To be under the law or to live according to law will bring condemnation. "There is no condemnation to them that are "In Christ Jesus" who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" 2 Corinthians 3:6 What is the flesh that Paul is referring to here? I believe that it is law and religion. Have you noticed how fleshy religion is, with all of its pomp and glory? When the pope comes on with all of the cardinals its a real show.

The purpose of the law was to reveal the righteousness of God and the sinfulness of man. The Sermon on the Mount is God's law elevated. Jesus not only elevated it, he spiritualized it. Now, the law searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12. The other purpose of the law is to bring us to Christ, Paul wrote, "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith is come, we are no longer under the schoolmaster (the law) For you are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ" Galatians 3:24-26. The law served its purpose and is no longer needed.
Freedom to what? What are we allowed to do now? You obviously don't think it's freedom to follow Messiah.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Strictly speaking, the gospel in and of itself condemns none. God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world. The Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost. All condemnation issues from the law. Sinners are condemned already; and the final condemnation of those who have rejected the gospel is owing to the fact they remain sinners, not because the gospel has made them sinners. Speaking in the large, though, the gospel is also an administration which makes use of the law to convince sinners, to prepare them to receive the good news, to command them to repent and believe, and to pronounce judgment upon them if they will not obey.

From Herman Witsius, Conciliatory or Irenical Animadversions on the Controversies Agitated in Britain, trans. Thomas Bell (Glasgow: W. Lang, 1807), chapter XVII.:

1) The law here signifies that part of the Divine word which consists in precepts and prohibitions, with the promise of conferring a reward upon them who obey, and a threatening of punishment to the disobedient. Every prescription of duty belongs to the law, as the venerable Voetius, after others, hath inculcated to excellent purpose.​

2) The gospel signifies the doctrine of grace, and of the fullest salvation in Christ Jesus, to be received of elect sinners by faith. If we take the word gospel in a strict sense, as it is the form of the testament of grace, which consists of mere promises, or the absolute exhibition of salvation in Christ, then it properly prescribes nothing as duty, it requires nothing, it commands nothing, no not so much as to believe, trust, hope in the Lord, and the like. But it relates, declares, and signifies to us, what God in Christ promises, what he willeth, and is about to do.

Therefore every prescription of virtues and duties, all exhortations and dissuasions, all reproofs and threatenings also all the promises of a reward in recompense of perfect obedience, belong to the law.

But to the gospel appertains whatever can give a sinner the hope of salvation, namely, the doctrine concerning the person, offices, states, and benefits of Jesus Christ, and all the promises wherein is included the pardon of sins, and the annexed possession of grace and glory, to be obtained by faith in him.

This is the strictest notion of both words, to which we must attend, in the whole of this disputation.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
Mr. Religion.

The term "Elect sinners" is foreign to the Bible. There are no elected sinners. Everyone is born into the world as a sinner and must by their own free will choose to be saved, Matthew 23:37.

Otherwise, you have a divisive, unjust God.

Ben Masada

Freedom from the Law is only a wish-thinking thought in the mind of an outlaw. No one can live free from the Law. Now, freedom from religion here is not something to be accounted for. Every one can be free from religion. All that he or she needs is to use his or her freewill.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Freedom to live life to the glory of God, instead of to the bondage of religion.

Could bondage be considered a yoke?

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
(Matthew 11:29 ESV)​

Robert Pate

Banned
Freedom from the Law is only a wish-thinking thought in the mind of an outlaw. No one can live free from the Law. Now, freedom from religion here is not something to be accounted for. Every one can be free from religion. All that he or she needs is to use his or her freewill.

Physically, we are all subject to the law.

Spiritually, The Christian is totally and completely free from the law.

Robert Pate

Banned
Could bondage be considered a yoke?

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
(Matthew 11:29 ESV)​

Whatever the "Yoke" is, it is not laws or religious instructions.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Whatever the "Yoke" is, it is not laws or religious instructions.

Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(Acts 15:10)​

If this yoke was not Mosaic law what do you think this yoke was?

Robert Pate

Banned
Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(Acts 15:10)​

If this yoke was not Mosaic law what do you think this yoke was?

A yoke was a bar of wood that united two animals so that they could pull together.

We work with Christ to bring souls into the Kingdom.

Letsargue

A-L-L THE LOST Are Still and Will Always BE Under the OLD LAW / The OLD LAW of Moses, AS Long as they ARE NOT Under the New Law of Christ!! -- The Lost WILL Always Remain Under the Old Law until THEY Are Baptized Into the "Body of Christ", The "O-N-L-Y" Place Where There IS NO LAW, OR SIN!!

PAUL, DAVID -- 060316

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The purpose of the law was to reveal the righteousness of God and the sinfulness of man.

One has to have an aptitude problem to think they will enter into life on their own merit knowing the standard is without spot or blemish. Thank God I am a slave to righteousness.

Ben Masada

Physically, we are all subject to the law.

Spiritually, The Christian is totally and completely free from the law.

And faith, where does it go, with the physical or the spiritual? I am asking because James in 2:26 says that, if the spiritual is not built with the physical, it is as good as a body without the breath of life. DEAD. As you can see, your mind does not go along with his.