Faith Comes By Hearing the Word of God

Jerry Shugart

This verse tells us how people acquire "faith":

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God"
(Ro.10:17).​

Of course a person must first hear the gospel in order to believe it. And no one receives "faith" until they believe the gospel. This is made plain when we examine how "faith" is defined in the Scriptures:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Heb.11:1).

No one has "faith" until they have that evidence of things not seen. And only those who believe have that evidence.

Therefore, it is a simple thing to understand that "faith" comes as a result of believing the word of God, specifically the gospel.

Robert Pate

Banned
This verse tells us how people acquire "faith":

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God"
(Ro.10:17).​

Of course a person must first hear the gospel in order to believe it. And no one receives "faith" until they believe the gospel. This is made plain when we examine how "faith" is defined in the Scriptures:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Heb.11:1).

No one has "faith" until they have that evidence of things not seen. And only those who believe have that evidence.

Therefore, it is a simple thing to understand that "faith" comes as a result of believing the word of God, specifically the gospel.

Paul said,"Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (because you did something) or by the hearing of faith?" (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2.

And then again he said, "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.

On the day of Pentecost 8,000 Jews heard and believed Peter's Gospel and were saved, Acts 2:41, Acts 4:4. It was the hearing and the believing of the Gospel that Gave birth to the New Testament church.

beloved57

Paul said,"Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (because you did something) or by the hearing of faith?" (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2.

And then again he said, "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.

On the day of Pentecost 8,000 Jews heard and believed Peter's Gospel and were saved, Acts 2:41, Acts 4:4. It was the hearing and the believing of the Gospel that Gave birth to the New Testament church.

Jesus says plainly who it is that Hears the Word of God Jn 8:47

7 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus says plainly who it is that Hears the Word of God Jn 8:47

7 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Here is what the Lord Jesus said at another place:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life"
(Jn.6:63).​

The following words are the words which He was speaking and those who believed those words were given life:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:30-31).​

"Life" comes as a result of believing, not prior to believing as the Calvinists teach.

beloved57

Here is what the Lord Jesus said at another place:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life"
(Jn.6:63).​

The following words are the words which He was speaking and those who believed those words were given life:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:30-31).​

"Life" comes as a result of believing, not prior to believing as the Calvinists teach.

Who does Jesus say it is that hears the words of God ? Jn 8:47

He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Jerry Shugart

Who does Jesus say it is that hears the words of God ? Jn 8:47

He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

The Lord Jesus told those people that they were not of God, and that is because they had "resisted the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51). You are reading into the verse more than it says.

As usual,you do not address the verses which I quote even though I answer yours. So tell me why we should believe that "life" precedes "believing" since this passage proves that "life" comes as a result of "believing":

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).​

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Faith by hearing is an elect being drawn by the Spirit.

You have to try harder than that to contend with Calvinism :plain:

Jerry Shugart

You have to try harder than that to contend with Calvinism :plain:

Why don't you answer what I said about John 20:30-31?

It is very difficult to contend with the Calvinists because they are running away as fast as they can from the Scriptures which prove that their ideas are wrong!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It is very difficult to contend with the Calvinists because they are running away as fast as they can from the Scriptures which prove that their ideas are wrong!

That's you all's vivid imagination. Calvinists have never ran from anything, though you have been spending your time having your bias shaped by a double-predestinarian, who is contrary to traditional Calvinism.

I've pretty much answered what you had stated.

Jerry Shugart

All men are drawn, as witnessed by the words of the Lord here:

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (Jn.12:32).​

Of course I knowthat the Calvinists say that the words "all men" actually mean "some men."

The Calvinists also teach that "life" precedes "believing."

And you continue to refuse to address what is said in this verse because it teaches that "life" comes as a result of "believing":

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).​

Why do you continue to evade what is said here?

beloved57

The Lord Jesus told those people that they were not of God, and that is because they had "resisted the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51). You are reading into the verse more than it says.

As usual,you do not address the verses which I quote even though I answer yours. So tell me why we should believe that "life" precedes "believing" since this passage proves that "life" comes as a result of "believing":

Who is it that Jesus says hears His words ?Its right here Jn 8:47

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
All men are drawn, as witnessed by the words of the Lord here:

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (Jn.12:32).​

Of course I knowthat the Calvinists say that the words "all men" actually mean "some men."

The Calvinists also teach that "life" precedes "believing."

He is teaching that salvation through him will be extended beyond the Jews to the Gentiles. You're taking it out of context.

And you continue to refuse to address what is said in this verse because it teaches that "life" comes as a result of "believing":

Why do you continue to evade what is said here?

What I stated suffices, you just keep repeating it over and over- it's something I see with a few anti-Calvinists on here. You all pick a verse and cling onto it forever.