Debating, 12th grade...

ShadowMaid

... and down. Here 12th graders and down can debate about any subject. You can be public schooled, or homeschooled.

Please, do not post in this thread if you are beyond 12th grade.

Christine

Is homeschooling the best form of education? Is it superior to public and private schools? Is it supported by the Bible?

Greywolf

Originally posted by Christine
Is homeschooling the best form of education? Is it superior to public and private schools? Is it supported by the Bible?

The diversity of opinion on this issue among the posters here who are 12th grade and lower should really make for a lively debate. :chuckle:

ShadowMaid

So is anyone going to take up Christines challenge?

Christine

Greywolf, I must admitt, I wonder how old you are. I remember in another thread when the two of us were debating, you said you were raised Lutheran. If you were still at home (as I would expect you to be if your in the 10th grade) why did you use the past tense of raise? :confused:

Greywolf

Greywolf, I must admitt, I wonder how old you are.

I remember in another thread when the two of us were debating, you said you were raised Lutheran. If you were still at home (as I would expect you to be if your in the 10th grade) why did you use the past tense of raise? :confused:

Good memory. I was trying to indicate that up until my "conversion" (an event in the past) that I was raised as a Christian. I'm still being raised, but I'm not a Christian anymore. Sorry for the confusion.

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf
Good memory. I was trying to indicate that up until my "conversion" (an event in the past) that I was raised as a Christian. I'm still being raised, but I'm not a Christian anymore. Sorry for the confusion.
Ok. I understand now.:) Did you want to debate me?

Greywolf

Ok. I understand now.:) Did you want to debate me?

Sure.

Is homeschooling the best form of education?

I think that public schooling is the best form of education. Both public schooling and home schooling have their pros and cons. For instance, public schools generally have better, more knowledgeable, more experienced teachers, while homeschooling has the advantage of small class sizes (Something that is becoming less and less common in public schools these days.)

I think that public schooling generally prepares you for life better. It forces you to deal with other people on a day to day basis, even people you may not necessarily like. I also think that public schooling exposes you to a greater variety of people and views. For instance, I have friends who are atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants (although, granted, we don't really discuss religion much).

Is it superior to public and private schools?

I can't really say anything about private schools, having never attended one. Some of my friends who have attended private schools told me that they were bad.

Is it supported by the Bible?

Is public schooling prohibited by the Bible?

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf

Sure.
Great

I think that public schooling is the best form of education.
And I believe homeschooling is the best form. However, it sounds like both of us might be a little biased, neither having ever had any other form of education. :)
Both public schooling and home schooling have their pros and cons. For instance, public schools generally have better, more knowledgeable, more experienced teachers, while homeschooling has the advantage of small class sizes (Something that is becoming less and less common in public schools these days.)
Does it matter if the teachers are more experienced and more knowledgeable than, say the child's parents?

I think that public schooling generally prepares you for life better. It forces you to deal with other people on a day to day basis, even people you may not necessarily like.
I have to do that on TOL as well. Also, I'm sure a part-time job could also do that, though I really doubt most people need help with social skills.
I also think that public schooling exposes you to a greater variety of people and views.
True. Is that a good thing?
For instance, I have friends who are atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, and Protestants (although, granted, we don't really discuss religion much).
Sounds neat. There aren't any Muslims or Buddhists in my area.

I can't really say anything about private schools, having never attended one. Some of my friends who have attended private schools told me that they were bad.
I've never attended a private school, either. However, I would expect them to be better than public schools, but that may not always be the case.

Is public schooling prohibited by the Bible?
Well, when God supports one view, it would follow he would not be in favor of it's counterpart. In Deuteronomy 6:7 God commands us to homeschool, "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." The only way this verse can be fulfilled is through homeschooling.