Can someone believe in God but not attend church?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The last couple of times I went to church, I went to listen to my son-in-law preach his first two sermons in a very tiny church that he helps lead. Both times were worth the time to attend. Prior to that, the previous several times I've been to a church, I got exactly nothing out of it other than frustration and anger. It seems that churches wait for me to show up to say blasphemous things and/or to demonstrate a near complete lack of understanding the bible. It's been several years ago now but there was one time that I went to church with my sister one weekend while I was visiting and the pastor went on and on for half an hour about how blown away "the love" was between the members of the early church that sold everything they had and lived in a commune! He didn't have the faintest clue that he was affirmatively preaching communism! That is, I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he didn't realize that he was doing that. What he for sure didn't know was why they did it or what it meant. It felt like I was being preached to by a teenager who opened the bible to a random page and was just winging it for long enough to make it feel like it was a complete church service happened. He just kept saying "Wow!" "Wow!" "Now that's amazing love, people!" "Wow!". What a buffoonish idiot.

It's not as if I don't want to attend church bvut if it isn't ignorance or stupidity on parade then it's either legalism or predestination. I just can't seem to find a place that I can tolerate from a doctrinal perspective and to top it off, the worship services these days make me cringe as well. Heaven forbid anyone use a hymnal!

Clete

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Hebrews 10:24,25

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

How much does the above verse apply to the body of Christ?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Directly, not at all.

Indirectly, as a matter of basic principle and as a general rule, it applies most of the time for most people.

If I could find a body of people that fit the descriptor of "ourselves" in that verse, you couldn't hardly keep me out of the place!
But just try to find someone within twenty miles of me that I could call "like minded"! It's like hunting hen's teeth!

It's a real problem because I'd very much like to attend church and nurture relationships with like minded people. In fact, if there's one thing I've consistently said is a mark in the "Con" column when it comes to understanding the bible the way Bob Enyart taught it, is that, unless you live in a few select locations, it's very isolating. That's especially true for people like myself that put more weight on the doctrine side of things than I do the relationship side. Some people can over look important differences in doctrine in order to maintain relationships at church. That feels to me like an unjustifiable compromise that amounts to a betrayal of the truth because it always goes only in one direction. Why should I have to overlook that Calvinist's error and keep my mouth shut to keep from rocking the boat while he gets to spout blasphemies that accuse God of wiping out communities with tornadoes where grade school kids drowned to death when the roof of their school caves in and dumps tons of water into the area where they were taking shelter from that particular "act of God". Then, in the next breath, they're just as likely to make some half-witted remark about how Open Theists insult the majesty of God!

I get angry just thinking about it!

Last edited:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

Catholicism believes it's entirely applicable, where "assembling of ourselves together" is equivalent to Matthew 18:20 "where two or three are gathered together in my name" and to Mass.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I attended church for 34 years, taught the Bible most of that. When I left last year, I actually became so much closer to God, and my health has even improved.
Why did I leave?
After asking God to help me see things from His perspective, I asked Him to direct me to find a church. I visited a men’s S/S class. They were overwhelming me with questions, it seemed so genuine that they wanted to get to know me… the niceness stopped and I was ignored after they saw that I didn’t have a KJV. I was then handed a voters guide to the candidates, and a flyer about abortion laws…
The pastor dropped in to openly rant about his displeasure of helping people who “don’t get salvation.” He decided to only help people who agree to get salvation. He switched gears to a story where he was on a mission trip in PI, he heard there were guns on the bus and he asked for one so he could shoot anyone who threatened him, and proceeded to brag about his gun expertise.
His sermon topic- homosexuality!

My walk with God is amazing! I’d never been taught in church how to have this kind of time with God. I was never told how to meet Him and engage with Him. Churches bury spirituality under piles of doctrine, social issues, politics, homophobia, entertainment, programs, activism, new choir robes, Easter egg hunts, and other stuff.

My doctors are stoked about the many measurable improvements to my health- especially my PTSD & BP (lowered 30-40 pts)

To go to church now, I would have to hide that I’m as close to God as I am- because no one is being taught how to walk with Him, learn from Him, or even find out if He knows them. Christians find it very strange that I talk with God, not just ‘to’ Him.
If you were 10% as "close to God" as you pretend, you'd have never written this post.

Transparently foolish nonsense.

Go move to California, take a few hits of Acid and find a guru that will talk gibberish about most anything other than stuff that effects your actual life like "doctrine, social issues, politics, homophobia, entertainment, etc..."

Either that, or wake up and realize that religion and politics is the same subject and that Christians and Homos cannot coexist in the same society for long. Indeed, homos cannot exist within any civilized society for long. It is precisely righteousness that makes a society civil to begin with, which is why God commanded that they be executed upon conviction of their crime.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.​
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.​
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.​
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Don’t pull your alpha male crap with me, buddy.
🤣

I absolutely hate when you atheists come in here and deny God.
You think that I'm an atheist?

Wah, god doesn’t talk to you, you poor little piece of insecurity! Boo hoo.
I don't follow.

What in the world did I say that lead you to think I was saying any such thing?

Take your prideful self and finish it with the door closed- no one wants to see you showing off!
Grow up child!
I'm not showing off. I'm telling you the truth. Perhaps you should read my post again because you seem confused. Your comments do not seem to connect to anything I stated.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It’s really important to you to hurt others, isn’t it?
On the contrary. It's really important to me to state the truth, whether it hurts your feelings or not. If what I've said offends you, get over it. If you can refute it, do so. But you won't. You won't even try.

You’re always right, always the smartest, always the biggest ass in the room!
Hypocrite.

You’re no closer to being a Christian than satan… probably the same.
Says the fool that comes here and tells a made up story and slanders some anonymous pastor that he claims preached a sermon about homosexuality and who cannot wait to call the guy who detects it instantly, "Satan". What a clown, you are!

You very clearly know next to nothing at all about what it means to be a Christian.

Admit it. You're not actually a Christian, are you? The way you're acting, it's more likely that you're a homo who's pretending to be a Christian.

No?

Prove it. Tell us what it is that makes a someone a Christian? Try to do it without the help of Google, Wikipedia or Chat GPT.

Prediction: This fool won't answer. He won't even try to answer. There's no evidence that he's a real believer or that he ever has been.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So, why don’t you know god? Got you snotty nose suck in a commentary or up your pastor’s business?
Why the hostility toward Christian’s who have found god and aren’t still stuff in your worthless existence.
I have more evidence that you're a liar than I have that you're a believer.

You obviously know nothing at all about scripture. You don't know right from wrong. You talk in platitudes and cliches. You seem to have no discernment at all.

Until I evidence to the contrary, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you're the faker you seem to be and will treat you accordingly.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

Paul, as always, has the answer for us in this dispensation. That doesn't say you should not go and worship. Don't add or subtract from it. We do not gain in spirit by going to a Biblical church service.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

Paul, as always, has the answer for us in this dispensation. That doesn't say you should not go and worship. Don't add or subtract from it. We do not gain in spirit by going to a Biblical church service.
I agree with this sentiment entirely but, just to be super clear (for those who might try really hard to misunderstand), when you say " we do not gain in spirit....", you mean that we do not gain in our standing before God, not that we profit nothing of spiritual significance by attending a biblically sound church service.

Right?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

This is why the "church crowd" sticks to Hebrews and never brings up the actual gospel of grace for today. They lose their immoral ungodly bureaucracy. So it seems not at all, to answer your question. The letter is fruitful for our understanding, but so is Genesis. And I'm also not building a 300 cubit long ark.