Being Forgiven

JAGG

"Rosalind Goforth was a well-known missionary to China who, along with her husband
Jonathan, enjoyed an illustrious career and ministry. But for many years even having
labored for the Lord in China, Rosalind often felt oppressed by a burden of sin. She felt
guilty and dirty, nursing an inward sense of spiritual failure. Finally one evening when
all was quiet, she settled at her desk with Bible and concordance, determined to find
out God's attitude toward the failures, the faults, the sins of his children
. She put these
words at the top of the page: What God Does With Our Sins. Then as she searched
through the scriptures, she compiled this list of seventeen truths."
__Robert J. Morgan, The Donaldson Fellowship, Nashville, TN

What God Does With Our Sins.

(1) Isaiah 53:6 (He lays them on His Son, the Lord Jesus)

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

(2) John 1:29 (Christ takes them away)

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and
said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin
of the world!

(3) Psalm 103: 11-12 (They are removed an infinite distance from us)

For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

(4) Jeremiah 50:20 (When sought that are not found)

In those days, at that time,”
declares the Lord,
“search will be made for Israel’s guilt,
but there will be none,
and for the sins of Judah,
but none will be found,
for I will forgive the remnant I spare.

(5) Eph. 1:7-8 (The Lord forgives them)

" In him we have redemption through his blood, the
forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of
God’s grace that he lavished on us."

(6) 1 John 1:7 (He cleanses them all by the blood of His Son)

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship
with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son, cleanses us from
all sin."

(7) Isaiah 1:18 (He cleanses them as white as wool and snow)

Come now, let us settle the matter,”
says the Lord.
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

(8) Isaiah 55:6-7 (He freely pardons our sins)

Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways
and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

(9) Micah 7: 18-19 (He tramples our sins underfoot)

Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.
You will again have compassion on us;
you will tread our sins underfoot

(10) Hebrews 10:17-18 (He remembers them no more)

Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”
And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin
is no longer necessary.

(11) Isaiah 38:16-17 (He casts them behind His back)

You restored me to health
and let me live.
Surely it was for my benefit
that I suffered such anguish.
In your love you kept me
from the pit of destruction;
you have put all my sins
behind your back.

(12) Micah 7:18-19 (He hurls all our sins into the depths of the sea)

Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.
You will again have compassion on us;
you will tread our sins underfoot
and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

(13) Romans 4:7-8 (He will never count our sins against us)

Blessed are those
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”

(14) Romans 4:7 (He covers our sins)

Blessed are those
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.

(15) Isaiah 43:25 (He blots them out)

“I, even I, am he who blots out
your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more.

(16) Isaiah 44:22 (He swept them away as a thick cloud)

I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you.”

(17) Col. 2:13-15 (He cancels out even the proof against us, nailing it
to His cross)

"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of
your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our
sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which
stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing
it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he
made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich,
yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might
become rich."
2 Cor. 8:9

`

Last edited:

Epoisses

The one sin that never gets confessed in any confessional booth is the sin of unbelief where men refuse to believe that all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago before a single one was ever confessed. Now sometimes the Holy Spirit will impress us with certain sins that need to be acknowledged and confessed but there is no merit or virtue in the act of confession. God forgives us not because we confess but because Christ's blood has paid the penalty. So confession is just an exercise in faith not something we have to 'do' to be forgiven. The Catholic church with their endless confession of dead sin to a human priest is the highest form of unbelief in the new covenant promise that all sin has been forgiven in Christ.

JAGG

The one sin that never gets confessed in any confessional booth is the sin of unbelief where men refuse to believe that all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago before a single one was ever confessed. Now sometimes the Holy Spirit will impress us with certain sins that need to be acknowledged and confessed but there is no merit or virtue in the act of confession. God forgives us not because we confess but because Christ's blood has paid the penalty. So confession is just an exercise in faith not something we have to 'do' to be forgiven. The Catholic church with their endless confession of dead sin to a human priest is the highest form of unbelief in the new covenant promise that all sin has been forgiven in Christ.

I agree with you theologically at least in the spirit of what I think you are saying.

Nonetheless I have some personal reservations about "expressing it like that" because
of, say, 1 John 1:9

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and
purify us from all unrighteousness."___The Apostle John as inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Your statement, "all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago
before a single one was ever confessed" may be true technically speaking
based upon a theological system --- nonetheless its pretty clear that the Apostle John and
the New Testament does not want us to "express it that way."

Think about it for a minute.

Koine Greek would have easily allowed the Apostle John to write in 1 John 1:9 this:
"all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago
before a single one was ever confessed" . . .

That could have been what 1 John 1:9 said, but it wasn't what 1 John 1:9 said.
1 John 1:9 says:
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and
purify us from all unrighteousness."__1 John 1:9

So we ought to phrase it and present it like 1 John 1:9 does, don't you think?

(By the way, I'm a Protestant (Reformed Protestant too).

`

glorydaz

I agree with you theologically at least in the spirit of what I think you are saying.

Nonetheless I have some personal reservations about "expressing it like that" because

purify us from all unrighteousness."___The Apostle John as inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Your statement, "all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago
based upon a theological system --- nonetheless its pretty clear that the Apostle John and

Koine Greek would have easily allowed the Apostle John to write in 1 John 1:9 this:

`

Good points, but who was John preaching this message to?

We know that when the Comforter came, he would reprove the world of sin because they believe not... not because they "confessed not" their sins.

John 16:8-9
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;​

When Paul came, he preached the Gospel of Grace which holds our confession is NOT of sin, but rather in the person and work of the LORD Jesus Christ.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.​

Epoisses

`

All of the apostles including John came from the world of 1st century Judaism and the all powerful law of God. They would not have the same viewpoint as the 21st century Christian who has seen 1700 years of Catholic error and gross legalism where confession is used by the church to make money. The Catholic church profits off teaching that sin can only be removed by agonizing confession, endless prayer, worthless vows and even self-mutilation in many 3rd world countries. God either removes sin because I do something (prayer, confession, penance) or he removes sin because Christ has done something (paid the penalty for all sin). Also something that few Christians realize is that forgiveness of sin is not partial i.e. some sins forgiven and not others. God forgives all of our sins or he forgives none. There is not this progression in sanctification that so many put forward as if I am on the long road to forgiveness and some day I may get there. God forgives all sin and cleanses us from all unrighteousness the moment we believe in Christ for forgiveness not in our actions of confessing with the mouth which any unbeliever can do. Prayer and confession without faith is worthless.

blackbirdking

The one sin that never gets confessed in any confessional booth is the sin of unbelief where men refuse to believe that all of our sins are forgiven and they were forgiven 2000 years ago before a single one was ever confessed. ...

... God forgives all sin and cleanses us from all unrighteousness the moment we believe in Christ for forgiveness...

So, your sins 'were forgiven 2000 years ago'?

Or, 'the moment you believed in Christ for forgiveness'?

Or, did you believe in Christ 2000 years ago?

Or, were you forgiven twice?

Could you please explain?

Epoisses

So, your sins 'were forgiven 2000 years ago'?

Or, 'the moment you believed in Christ for forgiveness'?

Or, did you believe in Christ 2000 years ago?

Or, were you forgiven twice?

Could you please explain?

Or, you've never been forgiven

You're still in your sins

and all your faithless prayer bounces off the ceiling.

JAGG

All of the apostles including John came from the world of 1st century Judaism and the all powerful law of God. They would not have the same viewpoint as the 21st century Christian who has seen 1700 years of Catholic error and gross legalism where confession is used by the church to make money. The Catholic church profits off teaching that sin can only be removed by agonizing confession, endless prayer, worthless vows and even self-mutilation in many 3rd world countries. God either removes sin because I do something (prayer, confession, penance) or he removes sin because Christ has done something (paid the penalty for all sin). Also something that few Christians realize is that forgiveness of sin is not partial i.e. some sins forgiven and not others. God forgives all of our sins or he forgives none. There is not this progression in sanctification that so many put forward as if I am on the long road to forgiveness and some day I may get there. God forgives all sin and cleanses us from all unrighteousness the moment we believe in Christ for forgiveness not in our actions of confessing with the mouth which any unbeliever can do. Prayer and confession without faith is worthless.

Nothing you have said so far refutes or voids any of this:

So we ought to phrase it and present it like 1 John 1:9 does.

Epoisses

Nothing you have said so far refutes or voids any of this:

If we confess our sins in faith he will forgive them and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we confess our sins in unbelief we will not forgive them and will not cleanse us from all unrighteousness as the millions of unbelieving Catholics with their robotic confession have demonstrated over the centuries. You seem incapable of grasping that faith is necessary ingredient in confession. That's what happens when you take one verse of scripture out of context and ignore everything else like verse 7 that says only those who walk in the light will have their sins cleansed by the blood of Christ.

JAGG

If we confess our sins in faith he will forgive them and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we confess our sins in unbelief we will not forgive them and will not cleanse us from all unrighteousness as the millions of unbelieving Catholics with their robotic confession have demonstrated over the centuries. You seem incapable of grasping that faith is necessary ingredient in confession. That's what happens when you take one verse of scripture out of context and ignore everything else like verse 7 that says only those who walk in the light will have their sins cleansed by the blood of Christ.

All of that is nothing more than YOUR personal characterizations and your personal interpretations of what I posted. I never said a word about not confessing our sins in faith. I never said a word about confessing our sins in unbelief. All that is what YOU said. I grasp that faith is a necessary ingredient in confession perfectly. And I took not a single verse out of context. Just because YOU say I took a verse out of context, does not in fact mean that I actually did. It means no more than YOU said I did. And I don't ignore verse 7 either. And while I am a solid and confirmed Protestant, and believe that the Roman Catholic hierarchy's institutions of Popery, and the Cardinals the so-called "Princes of the Church" and the Bishops and the Priests and the Nunnery, ought all to be abolished --- nonetheless I do not presume to know the hearts of millions of Catholics when they make their confessions. And neither do you.

Epoisses

All of that is nothing more than YOUR personal characterizations and your personal interpretations of what I posted. I never said a word about not confessing our sins in faith. I never said a word about confessing our sins in unbelief. All that is what YOU said. I grasp that faith is a necessary ingredient in confession perfectly. And I took not a single verse out of context. Just because YOU say I took a verse out of context, does not in fact mean that I actually did. It means no more than YOU said I did. And I don't ignore verse 7 either. And while I am a solid and confirmed Protestant, and believe that the Roman Catholic hierarchy's institutions of Popery, and the Cardinals the so-called "Princes of the Church" and the Bishops and the Priests and the Nunnery, ought all to be abolished --- nonetheless I do not presume to know the hearts of millions of Catholics when they make their confessions. And neither do you.

So we are in agreement then that confession of sins with true faith in Christ will expiate our sins. Also all sin was forgiven 2000 years ago before it was confessed by us in Christ. I don't see how you can gainsay this. When was sin forgiven - When Christ atoned for it or when I confess my personal sins?

JAGG

So we are in agreement then that confession of sins with true faith in Christ
will expiate our sins. Also all sin was forgiven 2000 years ago before it
was confessed by us in Christ. I don't see how you can gainsay this. When
was sin forgiven - When Christ atoned for it or when I confess my personal
sins?

I make a genuine attempt to adhere to the Biblical phraseology. I don't think
we have an obligation to God to answer every question that happens to pop into
the minds of human beings. I am content to allow a large number of questions
to "hang out there unanswered" until the end of time.

I have some personal reservations about using your phraseology because of 1 John 1:9

before a single one was ever confessed"
may be true technically speaking
the New Testament does not want us to "express it that way" they did NOT want that
kind of emphasis.

I surely do agree with your,
"confession of sins with true faith in Christ will expiate our sins."

Again . .
Regarding your, "Also all sin was forgiven 2000 years ago
before it was confessed by us in Christ."

I don't want to express it that way even though it may be true theologically.
If the New Testament writers had wanted it expressed that way, they would have
expressed it that way.

They didn't.

Here is one for ya:

In Romans 8, we have this truth taught:

"those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his
Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And
those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified;
those he justified, he also glorified"
(its all aorist past tense)

So in the mind of God its all a "done deal" so to speak.
In His mind I have ALREADY been:

~ foreknown
~ predestined
~ called
~ justified
~ AND GLORIFIED
In His mind I'm ALREADY NOW GLORIFIED.

But we have to be careful how we restate that. When we start restating
the text and putting the text in our own words, what we then have is
nothing more than our own words.

Just think what an imaginative person could come up with, with regard
to RESTATING . . . heh heh, in "his own words" the Biblical statement
that we have already been GLORIFIED in the mind of God. Its could get
really really wild.

Epoisses

Once again you are building your entire understanding on one verse instead of one chapter or even one whole book.

Like 1John 1:7 which says - But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin and his blood was shed 2000 years ago.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Only IF.
ONLY CHRISTIANS IF? ONLY LOVED IF? IF IS A CONDITION

Heb 3:5-6
5 And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward,
6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
Eph 4:21
21 IF indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus:
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
Matt 11:27
27 "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
1 Pet 4:17-18
17 For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and IF it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
18 Now "IF the righteous one is scarcely saved, where will the ungodly and the sinner appear?"
Heb 3:14
14 For we have become partakers of Christ IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,
I Jn 1:8-10
8 IF we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 IF we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
2 Cor 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
I Jn 2:4-5
4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
John 15:10
10 "IF you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
John 15:14
14 "You are My friends IF you do whatever I command you.
I Jn 2:3
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, IF we keep His commandments.
Matt 6:14-15
14 "For IF you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 "But IF you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
I Jn 5:3-4
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world-- our faith.
Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: IF anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and IF anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Matt 28:20
20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
(NKJ)Col 1:23
23 IF indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.
(NKJ)
xxx The IF's in the Word of God are conditions of love. There is no such thing as unconditional love. God says He will(not is) but will be a Father to us. If has always been one of the biggest conditions for love in God. God will love you IF.

2 Cor 6:14-18
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people."
17 Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."
18 "I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
(NKJ)

2 Pet 1:5-10
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,
6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness,
7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.
8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;
(NKJ)

Gal 3:29
29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:24-25
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(NKJ)

John 15:7
7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
(NKJ)

John 14:15
15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
(NKJ)

John 15:10
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
(NKJ)

Heb 8:6-7
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
(NKJ)

John 6:65
65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."
(NKJ)

Luke 13:3
3 "I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.
(NKJ)

Luke 13:5
5 "I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."
(NKJ)

Epoisses

Only IF.
ONLY CHRISTIANS IF? ONLY LOVED IF? IF IS A CONDITION

xxx The IF's in the Word of God are conditions of love. There is no such thing as unconditional love. God says He will(not is) but will be a Father to us. If has always been one of the biggest conditions for love in God. God will love you IF.

God's love is unconditional, NOOB! He loves because he can do nothing else and it has nothing to do with you and your supposed 'goodness'.

God's Truth

Paul teaches that one must repent of their sins to be saved.

See 2 Timothy 2:25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

Epoisses

Paul teaches that one must repent of their sins to be saved.

See 2 Timothy 2:25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

Yes, you need to repent of your obedience. You haven't learned that all your good deeds are just as sinful as the bad deeds. In fact 99% of all Christians have not learned this.

God's Truth

Yes, you need to repent of your obedience. You haven't learned that all your good deeds are just as sinful as the bad deeds. In fact 99% of all Christians have not learned this.

Listen to yourself. You are saying it is wrong to obey God.

JAGG

Once again you are building your entire understanding on one verse instead of one chapter or even one whole book.

Like 1John 1:7 which says - But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin and his blood was shed 2000 years ago.

Heh, heh . . .
The Internet is a place where human beings gather to make their points and then re-state their points, and then re-state their points again . . . and again and again.

Epoisses

Heh, heh . . .
The Internet is a place where human beings gather to make their points and then re-state their points, and then re-state their points again . . . and again and again.

Yes and some of us read entire chapters and even entire books of bible not one verse. God forbid that such a practice could be condoned in a world where everyone claims to be a Christian. The world is running out of sinners because everyone wants to blaspheme the name of Christ.