Baptized for the dead

DougE

The book of 1 Corinthians, chapter 15, verse 29 has posed some questions in regard to interpretation.

The verse under question reads as follows:

“Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?” 1 Corinthians 15:29

In order to clarify the meaning of baptized for the dead; it is necessary to examine the topic, and surrounding text.

The first verse to consider is:

“Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?” 1 Corinthians 15:12

The apostle Paul is writing to correct the teaching of some that there is no resurrection of the dead.

The next verses to consider is:

“For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.”
1 Corinthians 15:16-18

Now the reasoning of Paul’s teaching is that if there is no resurrection, then Christ did not rise: how could Christ have risen from the dead since resurrections are a specious notion?
If therefore Christ has not risen, then our faith is mislaid.
If Christ is not risen, then the testimony of the witnesses is beguiling.

If Christ is not risen; then there is no gospel; our faith is vain; and we are still in our sins.
Most importantly, in light of our consideration, those who fall asleep (die) are perished; there is no resurrection; there is no eternal life; only an eternal nothingness.

In this context we can then understand what baptized for the dead is.

There are numerous definitions of the word for.
One of the definitions of the word for is "in place of"; as in “Christ died for our sins”. This is not the use here.
Another definition of the word however, is "for the sake of"; an example would be “to suffer shame for his name”. This again is not the use.
Yet another use of for would be "as being"; an example would be “I mistook him for another”.
The use of for “as being” expresses the intent in verse 29.

We can then understand that the verse is asking;
what shall the baptized believers, whose hope is eternal life, do if being baptized is for nothing, since there is no hope, all there is, is death: what shall they do if they are baptized as being dead.
Since, as they say in error, there is no resurrection, and their only expectation is nothing but death, then there is no benefit to the hopeful anticipation of eternal life expressed by their baptism.

DAN P

The book of 1 Corinthians, chapter 15, verse 29 has posed some questions in regard to interpretation.

The verse under question reads as follows:

“Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?” 1 Corinthians 15:29

In order to clarify the meaning of baptized for the dead; it is necessary to examine the topic, and surrounding text.

The first verse to consider is:

“Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?” 1 Corinthians 15:12

The apostle Paul is writing to correct the teaching of some that there is no resurrection of the dead.

The next verses to consider is:

“For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.”
1 Corinthians 15:16-18

Now the reasoning of Paul’s teaching is that if there is no resurrection, then Christ did not rise: how could Christ have risen from the dead since resurrections are a specious notion?
If therefore Christ has not risen, then our faith is mislaid.
If Christ is not risen, then the testimony of the witnesses is beguiling.

If Christ is not risen; then there is no gospel; our faith is vain; and we are still in our sins.
Most importantly, in light of our consideration, those who fall asleep (die) are perished; there is no resurrection; there is no eternal life; only an eternal nothingness.

In this context we can then understand what baptized for the dead is.

There are numerous definitions of the word for.
One of the definitions of the word for is "in place of"; as in “Christ died for our sins”. This is not the use here.
Another definition of the word however, is "for the sake of"; an example would be “to suffer shame for his name”. This again is not the use.
Yet another use of for would be "as being"; an example would be “I mistook him for another”.
The use of for “as being” expresses the intent in verse 29.

We can then understand that the verse is asking;
what shall the baptized believers, whose hope is eternal life, do if being baptized is for nothing, since there is no hope, all there is, is death: what shall they do if they are baptized as being dead.
Since, as they say in error, there is no resurrection, and their only expectation is nothing but death, then there is no benefit to the hopeful anticipation of eternal life expressed by their baptism.

Hi and in Num 19:13 is just another to explain what BAPTISM for the dead means !!

In the OT Num 19:13 explained how to be cleansed when they TOUCHED a dead body and we do know that gthe SADUCEES
did not believe in the resurrection of the DEAD !!

Paul than can be saying , why go through all the trouble of BAPTIZO / CLEANSING A dead body !!

And I am still doing study on this verse and context !!

Those that did not BAPTIZO / CLEANSE them self in Israel were cut off , by Num 19:20 !!

dan p

Danoh

The thing explains itself within Paul's doctrine as a whole.

In other words, based on what Paul has said on a thing throughout his writings, not based on just a word, or a passage, or a few passages, or one context - rather, on all that he has said on one thing or another.

Because together, they comprise "the FORM of sound words."

The key then, is to...

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

What was Paul addressing both before and prior to that passage?

1 Corinthians 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

He was addressing the false assertion that there is no resurrection of the dead - because Christ Himself had not risen from "the dead."

Because Christ Himself had remained part of "the dead."

Paul then returns to where he left off at, in verse 14, in the following...

15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

Note...

15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

Christ is "the dead" that Paul is talking about that in...

And Paul is the one that Paul is describing having been "baptized for" said "dead."

In what sense?

He tells us what that sense is. Here and elsewhere in his writings.

Paul is the one baptized for said dead.

15:30 And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our LORD, I die daily.

Again, in what sense?

Acts 21:13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

Come again?

Acts 25:11 For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar.

That is who Paul was in his commitment to the Lord - "even unto death."

Because he believed that Christ had indeed risen from the dead, and had his back, so to speak, come what may "whatever my lot in life..."

Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

Thus, 1 Corinthians...

15:32 If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die. 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

In other words, this here...

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Which is the opposite of this here...

"...if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die."

And that defeatist attitude there, is the opposite of this victorious one here...

Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And that was being called into question, and Paul was not having any of it.

Why?

So profound had been his "Not to worry" given his sense of his identification with the Lord in His death and resurrection WITH Him.

A bit more on this "baptized for" the Lord, with Him in His Resurrection...

2 Timothy 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

4:16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. 4:17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Amen, brother! Preach it!

You've heard the directive "Dare to be a Daniel"?

Well, that'd be for an Israelite, lol

Paul was saying "follow me - even as I -follow Christ - dare to be - a Paul - "even unto death!"

His greatest co-laborers were of the same nobility...

Philippians 2:25 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. 2:26 For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. 2:27 For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 2:28 I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful. 2:29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation: 2:30 Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.

What was it they had latched onto as to the Lord's Resurrection?

That "faith is the victory that overcomes the world."

Because Romans 5: 6-8...