Army opens grueling Ranger job to women

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Army opens grueling Ranger job to women AP] "The Army will allow as many as 60 women to participate in the next Ranger course, allowing women for the first time to compete in the grueling two-month combat school. It is considered one of the first steps into the military special operations field.

Army Secretary John McHugh approved the change that would allow women in the course beginning in late April.

While completing the leadership course would let women wear the coveted Ranger tab, it does not let them become members of the Ranger regiment. Currently only men can be in the 75th Ranger Regiment — the special operations forces unit based at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Joining the regiment requires additional schooling that is physically, emotionally and mentally challenging..." Full text: Army opens grueling Ranger job to women

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can't get rid of Obama fast enough....I wonder how many (very few) will actually try.

By the way, this is like getting a racecar license when you can't get a normal driver license because you are blind.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[T]his is like getting a racecar license when you can't get a normal driver license because you are blind.

It's not good for men who take extra risks to protect them. It's not good for the long-toothed lesbians (1 Pe 3:7, Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10). :DK:

Last edited:

elohiym

If they can hack it, they can hack it.

They most likely will not be able to hack it. Perhaps if they have a modified course for women some might pass. I say that having worked with the Ranger School instructors at Ft. Benning providing medical support for their course, and having friends who have gone through the course. It's hard for me to picture even the most manly girls I've seen in the military making it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They most likely will not be able to hack it. Perhaps if they have a modified course for women, some might pass. I say that having worked with the Ranger School instructors at Ft. Benning providing medical support for their course, and having friends who have gone through the course. It's hard for me to picture even the most manly girls I've seen in the military making it.

Then let's see this play out. Is there a fear underlying this that maybe some of these women really will qualify? (Not you, just in general.)

elohiym

Then let's see this play out. Is there a fear underlying this that maybe some of these women really will qualify? (Not you, just in general.)

I'm interested to see how it plays out, but only if they don't have a modified course for the women.

If there was any fear, it would be from service members that the Army will modify the course to make it possible for women to pass. That would have some effect on the perception of the Ranger Tab's value relative to gender. But it's the women soldiers who should fear that perception I suppose.

elohiym

I just read the order linked on the Ranger Training Brigade website and it looks like the women will have to meet all the same requirements as the men.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

The Rangers don't exist for their self-esteem. :rolleyes: We're all sorry that their daddies didn't hug them enough. :DK: What's next purse, Tupperware and candle parties at the Pentagon? Mt 19:4

woman_in_rollers-3469.gif

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
They most likely will not be able to hack it. Perhaps if they have a modified course for women some might pass. I say that having worked with the Ranger School instructors at Ft. Benning providing medical support for their course, and having friends who have gone through the course. It's hard for me to picture even the most manly girls I've seen in the military making it.

Let them on the submarines in case there's a nuclear war. The men can use them as broodmares to repopulate the earth (Caller to Michael Savage radio program). :thumb: Mt 24:22

Granite

Hall of Fame
I just read the order linked on the Ranger Training Brigade website and it looks like the women will have to meet all the same requirements as the men.

There you go. Even playing field and no loss of prestige if they make the cut.

elohiym

Let them on the submarines in case there's a nuclear war.

I believe they are either doing that already or planning to do that (the submarine duty, not the broodmare part, of course).

Interestingly, the Marines opened a tough, thirteen-week officer training course to women in 2012, and I've read that so far no women have made it through. I'm assume the Ranger assessment course is quite a bit more difficult than Marines officer training course. If so, based on the results of the Marine program so far, we may not see a female graduate of Ranger school for a long time, if ever.

elohiym

There you go. Even playing field and no loss of prestige if they make the cut.

I haven't read if any women have volunteered for the school yet, but I have read that over three dozen women have volunteered to be "advisers" and "observers." Maybe the playing field will be altered somehow by the "advisers" and "observers." Hopefully not.

rexlunae

By the way, this is like getting a racecar license when you can't get a normal driver license because you are blind.

Wouldn't a more apt analogy be "like getting a racecar license when you can't get a normal driver's license...because you're a woman."?

This isn't Saudi Arabia.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned

Well, it's unneeded for one. There is nothing to gain from women being in the special forces. One of the key workings of the special forces is being a brotherhood, and one of the fears is that a soldier might salvage the female over the male in danger.

Because the special forces are not like the general army- women are efficient largely because of technology. It could be hazardous to mix the genders in such fields.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A man can not go to Ranger school until he goes through basic (BCT) skills first. When females are held to the same standards as men in the Army Physical Fitness Test, let me know.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wouldn't a more apt analogy be "like getting a racecar license when you can't get a normal driver's license.

No. Women do not have to pass the basic standards of fitness that a man passes. But they get to skip that step and try anyway.

rexlunae

No. Women do not have to pass the basic standards of fitness that a man passes. But they get to skip that step and try anyway.

It seems that the Army has special standards for women in general, but for Rangers, exactly the same standard is applied. And since the Rangers standards cover everything that is in the basic Army standards, the Rangers' standards guarantee that anyone who qualifies will be able to beat the men's standard for the regular Army. Isn't this then more fair than the regular Army standards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Physical_Fitness_Test