Arguments Require More Than Assertions

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ever get one of those responses that are but mere quotes from Scripture or a simple opinion wherein the fellow posting then declares victory? This is a common tactic of most who want to discuss Reformed theology in a negative manner. Actually these sorts are not even trying to have an actual discussion but merely toadying to the hoi polloi to get themselves seen. Discussion sites are like that, especially where folks can remain behind an anonymous facade. My kingdom for a sincere inquiry made in hopes of understanding. ;)

No one can provide and answer to a nonexistent argument. Unless and until a person puts an actual argument on the table, there's nothing for anyone to evaluate.

Too many non-Calvinists take crucial intellectual shortcuts. I try not to let them get away with that any more than I'd let an non-believer get away with the same behavior.

Critics of Reformed theology or Calvinism need to master the difference between assertions and arguments. They need to become aware of their unexamined assumptions. When they are pressed to examine them, things usually start off well enough. But as the discussion continues wherein they are asked to dig deeper into what they are asserting without careful examination, the discussion quickly turns into personal attacks; most likely borne of the cognitive dissonance that has erupted within themselves. At that point it usually becomes a matter of fight or flight. Being a good steward of one's time granted by God dictates not to waste one's efforts on those that have shown themselves to be unwilling or unable to engage at the needed substantive level for sacred topics.

The non-Calvinist needs to learn that just because something seems to be wrong to them, that creates no presumption that their perception is correct. Non-Calvinist critics need to become cognizant of how often they beg the question.

Unfortunately, these folks usually shield themselves from scrutiny by playing to a sympathetic audience or airing their views in a controlled setting (which they themselves can control). They don't usually risk direct and substantive engagement with others that disagree who happen to be in their own weight class. And for good reason.

Not a few non-Calvinists like to merely nakedly assert, usually involving some lifted Scripture quotes with nice boldface or coloring, without providing and actual argument and then sit back. After all, "Scripture says this, see my boldface therein? That settles it. I win!" :AMR1:

It is simply not the Reformed or Calvinist's job to make their argument for these sorts, as they are but intellectual freeloaders. Why should anyone enable their intellectual laziness by doing the heavy-lifting they themselves should be doing? Unless there's a well-provided reason to think their view of this or that matter of doctrine is incompatible with God's goodness, love, or whatever, there's nothing for the Calvinist to disprove. We literally have nothing to work with in a real discussion.

Nowadays persons have their feelings hurt at even the most superficially perceived slight in their direction. These folks would have withered away during the days of the Reformation wherein the Reformers were engaged in a deathlike polemic battle of words with their opponents. Reading them as they interacted with the heterodox and heretics around them makes the so-called "truth-smacking" at TOL to be nothing more than ladies tea-time.

Accordingly, it is becoming an increasingly rare occasion for me to actually engage another unless that person has honestly shown themselves to be willing to stay put until the matter is driven to ground while not retreating behind: verbal abuse when unable to furnish even prima facie reasons for their objections, toadying to the crowd, lachrymose claims of hurt feelings, refusal to dig deeper into the topic and interact with the same, and other what-nots that purportedly gives them a poor rationalization to bow out of the discussion.

I have no problem explaining that which I hold dear to the sincere person wanting to know more about some topic or even question what I believe. It just seems to me in the public arena some are unwilling to be seen as willing to learn something new or increase their knowledge. It is not a weakness to desire this, but a strength of character.

AMR