79 Percent of Evangelicals See Violence in Middle East as Sign End Times Are Near

79 Percent of Evangelicals See Violence in Middle East as Sign End Times Are Near

• Yes, and I am a christian

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No, and I am a christian

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Yes, I am not a christian but have my own end times beliefs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am not a christian and hold no such beliefs in any faith or lack of

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

WASHINGTON — Nearly eight out of 10 Evangelicals say they believe the ongoing violence in the Middle East is an indication that the rapture is on the horizon, a new survey released Friday shows.

Research conducted by the Brookings Institute's Center for Middle East Policy on Americans' attitudes toward the Middle East and Israel found that 79 percent of Evangelicals say they believe "that the unfolding violence across the Middle East is a sign that the end times are nearer."

The survey, which compiled a national sample of 875 adults and an oversample of 863 self-identified Evangelicals with a margin of error between plus or minus 3 to 4 percent, found that only 43 percent of non-Evangelical Christians believe that terrorism in the Middle East is indicative of the apocalypse.

"These numbers are very striking on the end of days theology that these respondents claim motivate them," Politico editor Susan Glasser said during a panel discussion after the release of the survey at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

"Some of these numbers are really stark," she added. "I mean, the percentage of American Evangelicals, according to your survey, who believe the end of times is nigh, is kind of eye popping, at least for secular America or blue America."

The poll also found that 72 percent of Christians and 81 percent of Evangelicals believe that Christ will eventually return but are not sure when that will happen, while 5 percent of Christians and 12 percent of Evangelicals believe that Christ will return during their lifetimes.

Additionally, 75 percent of Evangelicals and 55 percent of Christians who say that Christ will return believe that "things need to happen in Israel" before Christ returns.

Meanwhile, 63 percent of Evangelicals and 51 percent of non-Evangelical Christians believe that "for the rapture or Second Coming to occur, it is essential for current-day Israel to include all of the land they believed was promised to biblical Israel in the Old Testament."

With the Islamic State terrorist organization asserting in February that Muslims will continue to behead all non-Muslims until Jesus returns to slay the Antichrist and ensure that Islam prevails over all the Earth, a question was posed to the panel on whether IS' brand of Sunni eschatology had any overlap with Christian eschatology.

"There is a big gap between that viewpoint and those expressed by a broader segment of our society," Glasser responded. "Just because there are some resemblance between that apocalyptic rhetoric and the apocalyptic rhetoric of the Islamic State as it takes territory and justifies that with ideology in Syria and Iraq, I don't see those things as being meaningfully ressemblent."

When asked to name a "world leader you admire most," Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was the world leader most commonly listed by Evangelicals. With 16 percent of Evangelical respondents naming Netanyahu, former United States President Ronald Reagan was the second-most listed by Evangelicals with 11 percent.

Although two out of three Americans believe that Israel has "too much influence" on U.S. politics, 39 percent of Evangelicals say Israel has "too little influence" on politics. Thirty-eight percent of Evangelicals say Israel has the right amount of influence on politics.

Although only 26 percent of Americans say that a political candidate's position on Israel matters "a lot" to them, a candidate's position on Israel matters "a lot" to 55 percent of American Evangelicals.

Shibley Telhami, the nonresident Brookings senior fellow who conducted the survey and issued the report, told the audience that Evangelicals weren't always so supportive of Israel and the Jews.

"I look at the history of American Evangelism and, really, I am not talking about the history from the 19th century, but the 20th century, and I find that groups that were the base for which Evangelism grew had completely different positions on Israel, didn't rank Israel as high as priority, didn't have positive views of Jews," Telhami explained. "All of that changed dramatically, principally in the 1960s and '70s. In order for you to understand why this is important, you have to look at that period. That is the period in which [Israel] arises as important in that segment of the population."

I have attached a poll, do you believe the end times are near? (poll results are private so please be honest, no one will see who voted for what)

Note: this is not a thread to debate the rapture or preterism. Anyone who attempts to turn this into a discussion on those things, i will ask that your post be removed, thanks.

Quetzal

I would be hesitant, just from a historical perspective. These kind of theories are pretty common throughout since Christ. How well does this line up with scriptural prophecy?

musterion

I'm not payed up so I can't see the poll. I think this dispensation of grace is the calm before the storm...the deep breath before the plunge, as it were. We just don't know when the plunge will happen, but we know that it will.

This post might be better served in ECT to avoid the idiots like Queezy.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm not payed up so I can't see the poll. I think this dispensation of grace is the calm before the storm...the deep breath before the plunge, as it were. We just don't know when the plunge will happen, but we know that it will.

This post might be better served in ECT to avoid the idiots like Queezy.

The poll options for those who cant see the poll (because some of other faiths believe in end times also)

Do you believe the end times are near?
1)Yes, and I am a christian
2)No, and I am a christian
3)Yes, I am not a christian but have my own end times beliefs
4)No, I am not a christian and hold no such beliefs in any faith or lack of

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The thing you have ot understand about radical Islam is that they want us to go over there and fight them, because like the medieval Crusades, they believe that it is impossible for them to lose.
If they summon us to fight them, they believe God will have them win.

They have a very apocalyptic view, which is why they are so willing to die. So it's not surprising that many people would see this as something the same from the opposing angle- Islam is seen by a lot of people as the Mystery Religion, and many see the Roman Church as the Idolatress of Babylon.

If they are in bed with each other then that, according to them, is the ticking Apocalypse waiting to go off.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I would be hesitant, just from a historical perspective. These kind of theories are pretty common throughout since Christ. How well does this line up with scriptural prophecy?

Loads to me but particularly the return of Israel as a nation, which was prophesied but not fulfilled till this last century - that would have been open and remaining before this century. I believe the unrest with islam also points to it.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I think that we may safely assume the following:

1. Nobody knows when the end of time will be. Jesus Himself says this.

2. Granted that nobody knows this, we may rest assured that God is Goodness Itself and Mercy Itself, and that whatever it happens, it'll be best for the salvation of souls.

3. Ultimately, the end of times shouldn't concern us so much as the end of our own times, the end of our own world. Each of us is going to die. We don't know how. We don't know when. But it will happen.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The thing you have ot understand about radical Islam is that they want us to go over there and fight them, because like the medieval Crusades, they believe that it is impossible for them to lose.
If they summon us to fight them, they believe God will have them win.

They have a very apocalyptic view, which is why they are so willing to die. So it's not surprising that many people would see this as something the same from the opposing angle- Islam is seen by a lot of people as the Mystery Religion, and many see the Roman Church as the Idolatress of Babylon.

If they are in bed with each other then that, according to them, is the ticking Apocalypse waiting to go off.

yes, Islam adherents also have end time beliefs as well as those of some other religions and faiths. Thats why i added an option 3 to the poll.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I hate to say this but...

Research conducted by the Brookings Institute's Center for Middle East Policy on Americans' attitudes toward the Middle East and Israel found that 79 percent of Evangelicals say they believe "that the unfolding violence across the Middle East is a sign that the end times are nearer."
They should have done this with Europeans' attitudes, to compare. I strongly suspect the proportion will be much lower.

I really do hate to say it because I bear no ill will at all and I hope you will not be upset by it, but I can only say what I observe. It is this: that in the USA you are very far away from the political struggles and wars and other conflicts around the world. You rarely speak foreign languages and don't tend to have deep experiences of foreign cultures. To you, when you hear of these things, they may seem aberrant, they may seem catastrophic and/or apocalyptic and they seem to an interesting extent somewhat removed from reality. In Europe we are closer to these conflicts and our cultures are considerably intertwined. Going to Spain, France, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Italy and so on for a holiday is absolutely normal and commonplace. Owning a second home in one of these places is also fairly common. Me? I'm married to a lady who had dual nationality French/German (now naturalised British though) and between us we speak several languages fluently.
The international political events going on around us affect us directly and our reactions are practical and present. You don't have these connections to the same extent so you make sense of these events in a different way. You make them part of your world through religious and philosophical concepts but such concepts are not practical, they don't have direct effects on you. And in my view a lot of this kind of reaction is misplaced.

Go on, shoot me with one of those hunting rifles you have sitting in your kitchen cupboard!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

They should have done this with Europeans' attitudes, to compare. I strongly suspect the proportion will be much lower.

It would be lower is a given, there are far less evangelical christians in europe than there are in america.

There are far less Christians period there - even if it were to be done per capita.

According to a 2011 Pew Forum study on global Christianity, 285,480,000 or 13.1 percent of all Christians are Evangelicals. The largest concentration of Evangelicals can be found in the United States, with 26.8% of the U.S. population or 94.38 million, the latter being roughly one third of the world's Evangelicals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

I wouldn't be surprised at that.

That high percentage of Evangelicals polled in America are likely of a premillennial persuasion.

I really do hate to say it because I bear no ill will at all and I hope you will not be upset by it, but I can only say what I observe.

I believe that.

It is this: that in the USA you are very far away from the political struggles and wars and other conflicts around the world. You rarely speak foreign languages and don't tend to have deep experiences of foreign cultures. To you, when you hear of these things, they may seem aberrant, they may seem catastrophic and/or apocalyptic and they seem to an interesting extent somewhat removed from reality. In Europe we are closer to these conflicts and our cultures are considerably intertwined. Going to Spain, France, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Italy and so on for a holiday is absolutely normal and commonplace. Owning a second home in one of these places is also fairly common. Me? I'm married to a lady who had dual nationality French/German (now naturalised British though) and between us we speak several languages fluently.
The international political events going on around us affect us directly and our reactions are practical and present. You don't have these connections to the same extent so you make sense of these events in a different way. You make them part of your world through religious and philosophical concepts but such concepts are not practical, they don't have direct effects on you. And in my view a lot of this kind of reaction is misplaced.

I lived in Sicily for two years and if I were to go back and live there, it wouldn't change my eschatalogical perspective in the least.

I have friends who live in Israel and visit with them periodically and
they are convinced that the end of the age is very near, as well.

Go on, shoot me with one of those hunting rifles you have sitting in your kitchen cupboard!

I wouldn't do that unless you were entering my house uninvited and threatening the welfare of myself and my loved ones.

Most people that I meet are oblivious to the sense that the end is near and that includes professing Christians.

Eze 39:6 And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Considering we don't actually know when or what the fullness of the gentiles is, nobody can say. Blindness in part will not be lifted until then. And only then if Israel repents will it come about.

musterion

I really do hate to say it because I bear no ill will at all and I hope you will not be upset by it, but I can only say what I observe. It is this: that in the USA you are very far away from the political struggles and wars and other conflicts around the world. You rarely speak foreign languages and don't tend to have deep experiences of foreign cultures. To you, when you hear of these things, they may seem aberrant, they may seem catastrophic and/or apocalyptic and they seem to an interesting extent somewhat removed from reality. In Europe we are closer to these conflicts and our cultures are considerably intertwined. Going to Spain, France, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, Italy and so on for a holiday is absolutely normal and commonplace. Owning a second home in one of these places is also fairly common. Me? I'm married to a lady who had dual nationality French/German (now naturalised British though) and between us we speak several languages fluently.

Quit your self-pitying whining already. Tedious. It doesn't matter where we live. We either believe the Bible, and understand it dispensationally as it was written, or we don't.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Considering we don't actually know when or what the fullness of the gentiles is, nobody can say. Blindness in part will not be lifted until then. And only then if Israel repents will it come about.

Do you have any thoughts to what you believe it might be?

I dont think Israel will repent untill after the rapture and after the tribulation starts (the time of Jacobs trouble), but thats my thoughts on it.

musterion

Most people that I meet are oblivious to the sense that the end is near and that includes professing Christians.

Most 'traditional' Christians are even hostile to the thought, either because they think it's already happened or it's simply not true, aka allegory.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Most 'traditional' Christians are even hostile to the thought, either because they think it's already happened or it's simply not true, aka allegory.

Weird isnt it

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee." Titus 2:13-15

1 Thessalonians 4:3 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.